Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non member shooting areas in Clare

Options
  • 01-09-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

I'm the licenced owner of both a lamber shotgun and .22 hornet Cz. Next weekend I'm going to Clare with a group and would love to be able to treat my friends with some casual shooting.
    I'm thinking clay pigeon and paper targets.

Does anyone know of a suitable venue for this?
    Would getting permission from a landowner be my only option?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

For the paper targets you can't legally shoot those outside an authorised range and there is none that I know of in Clare.

Clay pigeon is another story and under a totally different set of rules so there might be an opportunity there. I don't know of a clay shooting ground in Clare though, perhaps someone else does?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Try Joe Loughlin in Lisdoonvarna he has a clay range that he uses for hen and stag parties etc. He might be able to help his number is in the stickie of RFD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Firstly apologies for misspelling Clare, it was inexcusable but I'm jetlagged to hell!
    Secondly, has my rifle been effectively legislated out of casual use? I don't want to pay member's fees as I live abroad, yet when I'm home I'd like to use them.

Lisdoonvarna sounds like a good choice as it's not far from where I'll be. Pardon my ignorance but what/where is RFD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

fluffer wrote: »
    Firstly apologies for misspelling Clare, it was inexcusable but I'm jetlagged to hell!
    Secondly, has my rifle been effectively legislated out of casual use? I don't want to pay member's fees as I live abroad, yet when I'm home I'd like to use them.

Lisdoonvarna sounds like a good choice as it's not far from where I'll be. Pardon my ignorance but what/where is RFD?

RFD Registered Firearms Dealer

You will find in the link below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056724968

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Secondly, has my rifle been effectively legislated out of casual use?

You can hunt with it but not shoot targets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Try Doonass Clay piegon club .They arent too far from limerick and are open usually every Sunday morning.off the top of my head I cant think of any other clubs.There is a clay ground in Doora ,Ennis,but havent a clue who is running it or if it is still operational.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Similar rules in some state conservation areas in the US, hunting ok but no target shooting. Sounds like there are enough rabbits in ROI that shooting them could be the casual use, if your friends don't mind shooting live targets. You can probably find a farmer that won't mind. Clays is probably more fun than paper targets especially if there are shotgun ranges closer, a day shooting fee + shells may be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

Go for clays and then out for a nice fry up somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Go for clays and then out for a nice fry up somewhere
    This sounds exactly as casual as I want it to be.

Most of the group are quite excited about trying the rifle too. I'm wondering if I could fit that in?
    Would prefer to kill water bottles over rabbits when it comes to casual targets and newcomers though.

I might just give a ring around for the suggested dealers and ranges on this thread. By the way I appreciate all of your comments and suggestions.

Advertisement