Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value of my horse?

Options
  • 01-09-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

This is a real how long is a piece of string but could do with some input, thanks for your time.

Due to a reality check i.e 2 young kids - have decided to sell my horse.

Factors relating to the horse:
    - thorough bred mare, raced as a 2 year old
    - age - 8
    - stage of training - ready to go, played polocrosse, light jumping but has real potential, hunted, used in a school, film work
    - size - 15 1 - carried me, me 13st
    - looks - stunning, very pretty and hence used in two films. I'm a fella and clearly biased but it's true.
    - health - excellent overall, one obvious drawback she has had for many years is in trot she carries her hind leg odly. No issue in canter and when playing polocrosse which needed agility and balance. But am sure this would mean she would not pass a vet test
    - temperament - not for a beginnner, she adapts very well to riders of differing skills.

My thanks to Chindato for the thread that helped me structure this and some great advice in this at thread 6
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59960261

Thanks,
    MAJJ

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd have a look at donedeal and see is there anything similar-ish for sale there and the money they are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Thanks, now that was a roller coaster when looking at values :-) Only one way to find out and that's when I hand her over.
    I'd have a look at donedeal and see is there anything similar-ish for sale there and the money they are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

It's kinda hard to tell without standing in front of her and seeing her work. Do you still have her book? What area are you in? What is she like to work around? Do you have a certain type of buyer in mind?

Hi sup_dude, I completely understand what you mean, especially if I was a buyer. Yes her passport is around somewhere would need to dig it out. She is in the midlands at present and it great to work around. As for a buyer - interesting question hard to "vet" ideally someone I like and trust and I believe will treat the horse with respect/kindness but not not always easy to guage that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

In short, it's like asking how long is a piece of string to be honest..

What price do you yourself have in mind for her? Realistically, unless she is sound/passes vet and has a performance record (affiliated to SJI/DI/EI/Airc etc) with an impressive proven pedigree, in terms of what you will get for her, I wouldnt have high price expectations. How long do you have her and what price did you pay for her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭finbarrk

At a guess, less than €1,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Gorteen

finbarrk wrote: »
    At a guess, less than €1,000.

I'd hate to upset anyone, but I think you may have a even getting an offer. Let's look at the facts........

Postives. .
    Broken & riding
    Pretty
    Has jumped

Negatives
    Ex-racehorse / TB
    Mare
    "Not for a beginner"
    Unsound / odd trot
    Not likely to pass vet test

A horse with none of the above could be anywhere from €800 - €2000, depending on how well they rate on the positives.

This is just my honest opinion. Interesting post, by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I don't think all of those negatives are entirely fair, Gorteen. The fact that the horse is a mare *shouldn't* impact too much - I generally find the type of people who don't 'like' mares are either totally inexperienced and going by what someone told them, or are the type of person who wouldn't buy a horse due to its colour (i.e. only want greys, etc.). Same goes for the fact she's a TB - it's been raised in a lot of threads before, so I don't want to go dragging it up again, but TBs can make great riding/competition horses, and the fact that your mare has already been proven in this area should be a plus.

MAJJ, do you think that her 'funny action' is a string halt?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

You have to look at two things

how much do you want
    How much of a nice home do you want for the horse

A vetting is also neither pass nor fail, it is whether the vet feels the horse is sound enough to do whatever job the intending buyer has in mind for it, so it is more an examination on whether it is "fit for purpose"

People seeling horses tend to hang on negatives quite alot, when you start to try and sell her, write down everything that is good about her, and tell them all that, and allow the potential buyer to make their own mind up if she is suitable or not. negative comments about her will, have them coming in a negative attitude!

Price wise, 800-1000 euro should see her sold quickly enough, 600 euro if you want her gone in the next few days, 1500 if you don't mind waiting a month.

If you choose to advertise her on donedeal, you will get timewasters, saddle polishers and gobsh1tes, and everytime you have to bump the ad, people will see again and again and start to think something wrong with the horse! just the way it is!

hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

mothoin wrote: »
    You have to look at two things

how much do you want
    How much of a nice home do you want for the horse

A vetting is also neither pass nor fail, it is whether the vet feels the horse is sound enough to do whatever job the intending buyer has in mind for it, so it is more an examination on whether it is "fit for purpose"

People seeling horses tend to hang on negatives quite alot, when you start to try and sell her, write down everything that is good about her, and tell them all that, and allow the potential buyer to make their own mind up if she is suitable or not. negative comments about her will, have them coming in a negative attitude!

Price wise, 800-1000 euro should see her sold quickly enough, 600 euro if you want her gone in the next few days, 1500 if you don't mind waiting a month.

If you choose to advertise her on donedeal, you will get timewasters, saddle polishers and gobsh1tes, and everytime you have to bump the ad, people will see again and again and start to think something wrong with the horse! just the way it is!

hope that helps

Where do you reckon is better to advertise a horse these days (other than donedeal)?

My daughter is in 6th year. Has a smashing horse. Adores him. We all do.
    Next year when she is going to college, we will have to give him up. I would gladly give him away to a GOOD home. (Paid around E4k for him 2 yrs ago) I have sleepless nights worrying (already!!) about where he will go/end up. He is hot and not for an inexperienced rider. He is 1000% to handle in every way, but he is tense/nervous which I think will put a lot of people off. He is so gentle and loving and gives everything, and then some, to his human. He deserves another owner who will take care of him.
    She is going abroad to college so we will be looking to find a new home for him I thought before the summer, which would be a good time to look for a new owner. Any suggestions/ideas/recommendations about how to find this really super horse a super forever home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Gorteen

convert wrote: »
    I don't think all of those negatives are entirely fair, Gorteen. The fact that the horse is a mare *shouldn't* impact too much - I generally find the type of people who don't 'like' mares are either totally inexperienced and going by what someone told them, or are the type of person who wouldn't buy a horse due to its colour (i.e. only want greys, etc.). Same goes for the fact she's a TB - it's been raised in a lot of threads before, so I don't want to go dragging it up again, but TBs can make great riding/competition horses, and the fact that your mare has already been proven in this area should be a plus.

MAJJ, do you think that her 'funny action' is a string halt?

Don't get me wrong...... I'm a mare-rider with no bias towards geldings. But in a buyers mrket, most people buying a ridig horse will not choose mare...simply less hassle. If you don't believe me, look at how many mares are in riding schools compared to geldings. It's like the old saying..."Ask a stallion, tell a gelding, negotiate with a mare"

As for TB, my preference is for native breeds, e.g. ID, connemaras, cobs. Again, for someone looking for riding horse, TB won't be most peoples first choice. Just my opinion, that's all........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

aonb wrote: »
    Where do you reckon is better to advertise a horse these days (other than donedeal)?

My daughter is in 6th year. Has a smashing horse. Adores him. We all do.
    Next year when she is going to college, we will have to give him up. I would gladly give him away to a GOOD home. (Paid around E4k for him 2 yrs ago) I have sleepless nights worrying (already!!) about where he will go/end up. He is hot and not for an inexperienced rider. He is 1000% to handle in every way, but he is tense/nervous which I think will put a lot of people off. He is so gentle and loving and gives everything, and then some, to his human. He deserves another owner who will take care of him.
    She is going abroad to college so we will be looking to find a new home for him I thought before the summer, which would be a good time to look for a new owner. Any suggestions/ideas/recommendations about how to find this really super horse a super forever home?

Sorry to hear you will have to rehome him. You will get time wasters on any website really. Do you have any contacts in your local riding schools/riding clubs who might know of a potential suitable owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I would not put being a mare down as a negative. Personally when buying a horse I would be looking specifically for a mare.

In terms of selling a horse the problem with sites like DD is that the real talented horses will get lost amoung the 'stunning' all sorts advertised at the same price.

My advice aonb would be pay for an add in the irish Field as it has great readership. Secondly do up a good flyer - pics of the horse ridden - details on what he has done before - details on type of rider he would suit and send it on to any local riding clubs and pony clubs and ask them to forward on to members. Recently did this with a friends horse and it sold within weeks where as she got nowhere advertising on the likes of DD. Also place an add with a photo in the local tack shops if they permit it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Dark Phoenix, thank you, hadnt thought of the Field (because I dont get it) - good advice, will try all.

Thanks to all who posted their thoughts. Sold for less than 1000 but most importantly and to our complete surprise to someone we know very well and who will treat her very well.

Convert - thanks - interesting point on stringhalt. Will look into it for curiousities sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

can I ask where you managed to sell? have a similar mare to sell

Andalucia wrote: »
    can I ask where you managed to sell? have a similar mare to sell
    It was to a friend and they don't need another, good luck with your mare.

Advertisement