Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SChique00's Study Log

• 01-09-2013 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hi all - Sarah, 17, studying (or suffering, depending on your own outlook) English, Irish, French, History, Biology and Accounting at HL and Maths at OL. Doing this to hold myself accountable not only to my own conscience, but to all of you lovely people on the interweb.
    Hopefully I will survive this year without incurring an emotional/mental/physical breakdown, but I'm starting to realise that preparation and organisation is the key to any kind of success. That's why I spent the best part of 3 hours drawing and colouring my shiny new study plan like the big child I am :pac:
    In all seriousness though, I am determined to stick to it for the next month at least - by that time I should have a good idea of any changes or modifications that need to be made.

Goals for September:

ENGLISH - Read through and complete an essay on Macbeth; study and complete a shorter question on Dickinson (have a feeling she may come up this year); start reading one of my comparative texts again (whichever is less soul-destroying, The Road or 1984 :P )

IRISH - Learn off 4 picture sequences (one a week is doable, right?); study and make good notes for An Gnáthrud; pick one of the grammar chapters and know the rules for that topic and how to apply them (have a feeling I'll need to start from the very beginning since I know virtually none of the rules!)

BIOLOGY - Keeping it fairly simple, study 3 chapters inside out and do the relevant questions from past papers for them

ACCOUNTING - Practise Final Accounts at least twice (past paper questions) and get them marked; learn off 10 of the ratios by heart and how to apply them; study control accounts and practise questions from past papers (twice)

HISTORY - we're working on the special study project in class time atm, so I'm keeping my goals fairly limited: study Bismarck and Wilhelm II and make detailed plans for past paper essays relating to them; revise Unionism (apparently it's tipped to come up next year)

FRENCH - revise all covered tenses so far; learn 20 new words/phrases/idioms and know how to apply them in sentences (that's 5 per week); go back over some past comprehensions (or any covered in class/done for homework) and look up all vocab that I don't understand.

Annnnnd I have no real goals for Maths - thing is, I don't really need it for what I want to do! Plus I got an E in the summer exams but still wound up getting well over 500 points, so I have no reason to pay it much heed this year - I'll do my best to understand what's going on in class, and I'll obviously do my homework, but that'll be the height of my effort in the subject.

Gonna make September my month (hopefully!) Parent teacher meeting is on the first of October so by that stage I'll be further along, have a better idea of where I stand with revision and progress, plus I'll be getting valuable feedback in all my subjects. Wish me luck! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

As all the other guys seem to be doing this, I feel I should too - here are my target marks for June '14 should you wish to know them (it might also keep my head in the game seeing them posted every time I come to log a study session ;) ):
    English - A1
    Irish - A1/A2
    Biology - A1
    History - A2
    French - A1
    Accounting - B1/A2
    Maths - A1/A2 (OL)

And to compare, what I got in the summer exams:
    English - A2
    Irish - A2
    Biology - A1
    History - B1
    French - B1
    Accounting - A2
    Maths - E (less said about that last one the better :P )

Realllly quick log before I go to training:
    Maths - basic algebra, quadratics, about 20 questions in all
    Irish - learned off one of the sraithpictúir for tomorrow
    Accounting - did homework
    French - revised the present tense irregulars, corrected a test from class and learned 5 new terms regarding jobs (will put them into sentences when I come back)

"...and not a single thing was done that day..."

Okay, that's not entirely true - truth is, I had a double study period today (allotted 5 per week because I dropped Business last year), and after completing all essential homework in that time, I just got lazy when I got home.
    Irish: made some notes on "An Gnáthrud" under various headings using internet resources and the textbook - I plan to embark on a full-length question at the weekend, time-permitting.
    History - spent a good portion of my time faffing about, chatting on Facebook, tumbling on tumblr and generally procrastinating like a pro. Did manage to complete another paragraph, but I'm just hitting a wall, I guess. I'm 982 words into the first draft of my extended essay, which, given that we only started back last Wednesday, seems like good progress to me.
    Biology - started making notes on the skeleton and muscles chapter; gave up after 20 minutes because it's coma-inducing. And I've always liked note-making for Biology because I get to unleash the gel pens and markers and my inner 5-year-old... maybe I'm just having a slow day.

All in all, not an entirely productive day, but I'm getting there, one baby step at a time :)

Productive day I reckon, even though I feel drained now - can't wait to hit the leaba :pac:
    Maths - did the homework, didn't pay much heed to it (still on general algebra - praise be for OL maths!)
    English - studying Children of Men this year with our new teacher (the man is a true Godsend), so just wrote a 50 word summary on my thoughts on the protagonist so far :)
    Irish - doing some groundwork in class for An Triail (we're starting next week), so learned off one or two paragraphs on the general theme and the author's background. Went back over a sraithpictúir too :cool:
    Biology - made detailed notes for the skeleton and muscles chapter, answered exam questions for homework at the back of the chapter, corrected test from class.
    French - had a comprehension due for class tomorrow, so looked up all words and phrases I didn't know and worked them into sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dmac16

Just trying to make my own study planner now at the moment because I think if I have organised what I should be doing on certain times/days, then I won't procrastinate, etc. :cool: The problem is, I'm not really sure what kind of targets I should be setting or how much each night, what subjects each night, etc. Just wondering how you went about making yours? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Sarah's doing her Leaving Cert :O And I'm in TY now.. Two years have flown by! :eek: Best of Luck this year Sarah! You deserve it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Claire1456

dmac16 wrote: »
    Just trying to make my own study planner now at the moment because I think if I have organised what I should be doing on certain times/days, then I won't procrastinate, etc. :cool: The problem is, I'm not really sure what kind of targets I should be setting or how much each night, what subjects each night, etc. Just wondering how you went about making yours? :)

I've been finding this useful for the first two weeks of school, have printed off six and have planned my next six weeks of studying and have also hit hard into biology economics and business revision thanks to the organisation of this. Hope it helps! https://www.studyclix.ie/Content/Uploads/635029061927645298.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dmac16

Claire1456 wrote: »
    I've been finding this useful for the first two weeks of school, have printed off six and have planned my next six weeks of studying and have also hit hard into biology economics and business revision thanks to the organisation of this. Hope it helps! https://www.studyclix.ie/Content/Uploads/635029061927645298.pdf
    thanks a mil! :D now just to decide what subjects to do when, targets, etc. As a matter of interest, what would an example of day be for you? How much would you be looking to do, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Claire1456

dmac16 wrote: »
    thanks a mil! :D now just to decide what subjects to do when, targets, etc. As a matter of interest, what would an example of day be for you? How much would you be looking to do, etc.

I use the 'time' column as the name of the subject, as I never know what time I will finish my homework. A usually day would consist of making biology notes on one chapter from last year eg osmosis. Revising and the following evening doing exam questions and testing myself.. Revising two topics for French/Irish oral eg describing myself, my town, hobbies, school and testing myself. Making notes on the current economics chapter that were doing in class and maybe practicing my songs for my music practical if I can squeeze it in. That's the usual day.

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Sarah's doing her Leaving Cert :O And I'm in TY now.. Two years have flown by! :eek: Best of Luck this year Sarah! You deserve it :)

OMG dude! Can't remember when we spoke last :eek: has it been that long? You'll be getting your results on Wednesday if I'm not mistaken? You were well geared up for the exams the last time we were talking - you'll do amazingly, no doubt :D

• Advertisement

SChique00 wrote: »
    OMG dude! Can't remember when we spoke last :eek: has it been that long? You'll be getting your results on Wednesday if I'm not mistaken? You were well geared up for the exams the last time we were talking - you'll do amazingly, no doubt :D
    I know it's crazy! :eek: Seems like only last week we were all on the OT together :') Yup results Wednesday :D I hope so xD Don't know if I'd call it amazing xD How's 6th year? :)

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I know it's crazy! :eek: Seems like only last week we were all on the OT together :') Yup results Wednesday :D I hope so xD Don't know if I'd call it amazing xD How's 6th year? :)

Ah the good old days :pac: woop woop - ah you'll be graaaaand I have full faith in your abilities :p it's pretty pants, but that was to be expected :rolleyes: it's literally work work work from the moment you start...

SChique00 wrote: »
    Ah the good old days :pac: woop woop - ah you'll be graaaaand I have full faith in your abilities :p it's pretty pants, but that was to be expected :rolleyes: it's literally work work work from the moment you start...
    They truly were :') hahaah xD Thank you :D Likewise!! Awh bet you wish you were in TY like me ;)

Right, back after an extended abscence *blushes at own acknowledgement of no self-discipline*

WHAT I DID TODAY (was a productive evening all things considered!)
    Maths - Exponential functions homework (handy at OL, like EVERYTHING ELSE :D )
    Irish - Learned an intro for an essay concerning sport/the GAA/health among the youth
    French - Wrote some sentences in l'imparfait, learned 20 new vocab words/phrases for a test tomrrow
    Biology - studied both chapters on Enzymes and used the textbook questions: going to get them corrected tomorrow
    Accounting - did Club Accounts homework.

Monday, 14th October (5 1/2 weeks 'til Christmas exams)
    English - made intricate notes on Act 1 of Macbeth (analyses of quotes, character discussion, established themes at this point, etc.)
    Irish - learned sraithpictúir, revised Pádraig Mac Carthaigh character answer for An Triail
    French - made oral notes for careers and "Aprés le Bac", did reading comprehension, corrected 2 written compositions
    History - read 5 pages in textbook on inter-war Britain, made essay strategy for possible 2014 titles

WHAT I DID TODAY:
    Biology - exam questions 2012, 2010 and 2008 on the nervous system
    Irish - translated and made notes on An Triail essay, revised 3 sraithpictúir, went over oral notes
    Accounting - did 2002 budgeting question, corrected homework budgeting question
    History - made notes on Unionism (Carson and Craig)
    English - worked on a descriptive essay, considered a Macbeth question but haven't an iota how to go about it, and revised Dickinson in detail.

Study period was cut short by (a) a doctor's appointment and (b) a prefect meeting, but I did my best with the time I had!
    English - analysed a Larkin poem (just started him in class)
    History - corrected a home rule test essay (Butt vs. Parnell)
    French - corrected sentences from class, went through my oral notes for next week, listened to pronunciation material and sample oral convos

English - Question B (chance to indulge in a bit of unapologetic narcissism - had to write an interview with my future self)
    Irish - practised for the oral (or self-inflicted torture, whatever you want to call it)
    History - studied unionism with regard to Carson and Craig
    Biology - answered all exam qs on the endocrine system
    Accounting - started (never finished) interpretation question (I hate them with a fiery passion, but my teacher insists I know them as a backup)

Stayed behind for an extra hour of Accounting today, and got a fair few Budgeting questions covered
    Ate into my own personal study time though, so I didn't get an awful lot done:
    French - went through all my oral answers and made notes on abstract topics
    English - Planned and began 2 paragraphs of a Macbeth character question
    History - made notes on Michael Davitt and the Land War
    Accounting - did 3/4 of a budgeting question that, admittedly, has me stumped.

Didn't get an awful lot done today, largely due to post-orals elation/exhaustion. Went for a nap, got up around 7 and did a little:
    English - redid a Macbeth question that I was having difficulty with (got a B1 first time)
    French - did 2003 listening comprehension, answered and translated a reading comprehension
    Biology - did 2013 question on human reproduction
    History - studied John Redmond and Home Rule 1890-1914

• Advertisement

Biology - did all the Human Reproduction HL exam questions listed in textbook (will check which ones are left tomorrow)
    Irish - wrote out a 3/4 page explanation of cúlú eacnamaíochta
    English - briefly studied Yeats in preparation for a test tomorrow
    History - studied home rule post-1891 for test tomorrow
    Accounting - half-finished a club account (bit out of practise with them, truth be told)
    French - written comprehension on advertising, put some new vocab into sentences

Biology - did '06, '08, '13 questions on Human Reproduction (deceptively long)
    Irish - 2 page essay on cúlú eacnamaíochta
    Accounting - 2 mixed production/cash budgeting questions from papers

YESTERDAY: French listening work, biology - random experiment questions, Heaney revision.
    TODAY: Irish prose exam question, English Macbeth question plan (detailed), History revision (German economy inter-war years), Irish essay on "musicians of our time"

YESTERDAY: Didn't do an awful lot, was feeling bleurgh - 2 Accounting HL suspense questions, French revision (imparfait and the passé composé)
    TODAY: 2 page Irish essay (laoch ár linne), 2 page An Triail question (importance of men in the play), Biology exam questions on DNA and RNA, 1 ecology question, lots of Irish grammar studying (because I have never been taught the rules in my 14 years of schooling)

SATURDAY: Irish - Dís question (30 marks) and essay topic revision (racism); English - 3/4 of cultural context question done (more for revision purposes than anything else, I'm really more of an "improvise my argument on the day" kind of person and it usually pays off); History - Eucharistic Congress study; Accounting - 2010 HL suspense question; French - 1998 mock listening paper done (excruciatingly difficult as the teacher copied it from an old tape and you can hear every flaw and background noise!)

MONDAY: English - Yeats poetry revision; French - reading comprehension, written comprehension, put 15 idiomatic phrases into sentences; History - Home Rule 1890-1914 essay correction; Biology - 5 experiment questions; Accounting - suspense account correction; Maths - 3 complex number questions (from papers)

ENGLISH - Macbeth and Lady Macbeth relationship question
    IRISH - 2 Géibheann questions; wrote out notes for possible answers
    HISTORY - rough draft of church-state tensions essay (test on Thursday), made notes
    FRENCH - homework: idiomatic phrase exercise
    BIOLOGY - revised respiration chapter and condensed notes to 1/2 A4 page
    MATHS - homework: functions question

quite a bitty evening of work - went home early because I was feeling unwell and slept until 4.30 - started at 4.45 and took a 15 minute break at 6.30. Still, better than nothing I suppose :/

ENGLISH - broke down a Macbeth essay to a basic plan (supernatural imagery test essay)
    FRENCH - wrote idiomatic sentences, corrected sentences, revised future and conditional tenses
    ACCOUNTING - did a club account question (100 marker)
    HISTORY - studied for test tomorrow (church-state relations)
    MATHS - homework; arithmetic questions from papers

IRISH: Corrected aiste, corrected Géibheann A4 page answer
    ACCOUNTING: Finished suspense question from mock paper, did service firm account (neither balanced, woohoo)
    BIOLOGY: 3 photosynthesis past paper questions, total revision of light and dark stages
    MATHS: Teeny bit of homework :L

Doesn't seem like I got much done, but I had English and History tests today, both of which mentally and physically crippled me. I think I got a satisfactory amount done, given my tiredness...

• Advertisement
Advertisement