If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading 5.1 amp - looking for suggestions

Options
  • 01-09-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭

I am looking to upgrade my 10 year old Pioneer VSX-C300 amp (bought from Richer Sounds in Dublin - yeah, that old). The main motivation is audio sync issues when watching Netflix.

I have a Philips LCD TV with the following HDMI inputs: Sky+ HD (optical audio), Apple TV (optical audio), Sony DVD player (coax audio). I will sometimes connect (with HDMI): laptop, DSLR camera, media player.

I have the 5.1 speakers.

We resolved audio sync issues with the Sky+ HD box as it has an audio delay setting. The new amp must have this ability.

Do you have any suggestions?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

daymobrew wrote: »
    I am looking to upgrade my 10 year old Pioneer VSX-C300 amp (bought from Richer Sounds in Dublin - yeah, that old). The main motivation is audio sync issues when watching Netflix.

I have a Philips LCD TV with the following HDMI inputs: Sky+ HD (optical audio), Apple TV (optical audio), Sony DVD player (coax audio). I will sometimes connect (with HDMI): laptop, DSLR camera, media player.

I have the 5.1 speakers.

We resolved audio sync issues with the Sky+ HD box as it has an audio delay setting. The new amp must have this ability.

Do you have any suggestions?
    Hi Day,

Thanks for getting in touch, and apologies about the delay in getting back to you.

I'd suggest the Denon AVRX 1000.  New 2013 model from Denon and it hasn't disappointed at all.  Fantastic sound and great connectivity so there'll be no problem with all your sources.  It also has a lip sync adjuster built in so sorted there too.

Current price on this is £349.95.  Check the link below for more info:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/denon/avrx1000/deno-avrx1000

Let me know what you think.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I'd suggest the Denon AVRX 1000.  New 2013 model from Denon and it hasn't disappointed at all.  Fantastic sound and great connectivity so there'll be no problem with all your sources.  It also has a lip sync adjuster built in so sorted there too.
    Our TV does not have the automatic lip sync feature so we'd be adjusting the delay manually, though this is fine.

I've also been looking at the Onyko TX-NR626 (better price on .ie site) and the Yamaha RX-V673 (What HiFi Receiver of the Year in 2012).

How does the Denon compare to those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Dayo, the Denon range are brilliant.

The new AVRX2000 and 1000 are really, really good.

The AVRX2000 got a great review in What Hifi.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/denon-avr-x2000

This is currently £499.95 but I reckon that compared to either the 626 or the 673, the Denon has a much more balanced sound and provides an extra level of detail over the over the likes of the 673 as the new 675 would be a closer competitor.

The Denon has a very warm and appealing sound and is superb for music as well as home cinema.

The AVRX1000 at £349.95 is also a great value receiver but drops some of the features of the 2000 like 7.1, video upscaling, a number of connections and uses different components so the quality isn't the same but I would still have this over the Onkyo and would be marginally better than the Yam, certainly well outperforms both on stereo. The playback of the likes of FLAC audio files from the Denon is also a really nice feature as it means great sound quality over streaming.

I hope this helps but please let us know if we can help any further.

ATB

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.