Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have i blown multimeter

Options
  • 01-09-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi i forgot my self today an i connected my multimeter with the red lead pushed into the amp port and i connected it to a car battery to read the voltage with the dial turned to voltage dc, and i heard a pop out of the multi meter, is it blown cuz its not reading amps anymore

Comments

The internal fuse could be blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Like Karsini said, good chance it's the fuse, they can be in the meter itself or on the probe sticks depending on the meter. I got the Fluke T5-600 its very hand, it Auto Selects Voltage, Ohm Scale... But I am forever Kicking myself I did not get the next model up with the Large Clamp meter on it!

On the subject of Meters, have any of you guy's by accident had a meter set on continuity while checking voltage? Any thing happen did it short out, damage the meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Probably fuse. My Robin meter has internal fuse and spare fuse inside too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Like Karsini said, good chance it's the fuse, they can be in the meter itself or on the probe sticks depending on the meter. I got the Fluke T5-600 its very hand, it Auto Selects Voltage, Ohm Scale... But I am forever Kicking myself I did not get the next model up with the Large Clamp meter on it!

On the subject of Meters, have any of you guy's by accident had a meter set on continuity while checking voltage? Any thing happen did it short out, damage the meter?

Done it quite a few times with my Fluke t5-1000. No ill effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

You created a dead short using the multi meter as a ampmeter, current going through you leads rather than voltmeter voltage across the leads , you probably just blew the fuse, people make the mistake with batteries thinking it's only 12 volts but a dead short across a battery will blow a spanner apart.a fella got a nasty burn from this, another story about forgetting to switch from ampmeter to voltmeter years ago in work a guy made the same mistake on a 1000 amp dc supply blew esb high tension supply .lucky to be alive still talks about today

• Advertisement

superg wrote: »
    Done it quite a few times with my Fluke t5-1000. No ill effects.

No short or nothing? If it was set to amps maybe?

lol I only ask because, Its just one of those "I wounder if" and I usually will go out of my way to find out ha... And I thought that maybe there was a safety type device in the meters to prevent such?

I'm am not sure if you heard of the poor apprentice that got killed by his meter. I can't remember if he was E.S.B or a contractor, It happened in a Pharmaceutical plant in Cork anyway, When I was an apprentice I remember being told this by the Electricians. Always made sure I buy the best brands of meter after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Tuco88 wrote: »
    No short or nothing? If it was set to amps maybe?

Nope,Instead of the clear continuous continuity bell,it became like a buzzer but the meter was fine.I haven't done it set to amps,I'm sure that would result in the same as the OP.

Advertisement