Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runners wearing out quickly

• 01-09-2013 10:03pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 32

Hi All

I always seem to wear out runners around the 300 mile mark (not that I would be carrying much extra weight or anything). I recently started wearing orthotics and have been wearing a pair of Mizuno Ultima Wave.

I've only worn them for around 150 miles and notice they are badly worn on the outside of the left shoe.

Does anyone else have a similar problem or any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

No suggestions, but I've had the exact same problem with my last few pairs of Mizuno Mushas (3, 4 and then 5). Wear on the outside of the left foot, right by the little toe. I'm pretty sure I land on that outside of the left foot first, so it's not a complete surprise, but the Mushas seem fragile, especially the 5 which started wearing out after about 200 miles. In fairness, they are a racing shoe, so not built for sturdiness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

No suggestions, but I've had the exact same problem with my last few pairs of Mizuno Mushas (3, 4 and then 5). Wear on the outside of the left foot, right by the little toe. I'm pretty sure I land on that outside of the left foot first, so it's not a complete surprise, but the Mushas seem fragile, especially the 5 which started wearing out after about 200 miles. In fairness, they are a racing shoe, so not built for sturdiness.
    I would have thought that 200 miles would be around the absolute limit for a pair of racing shoes, like the Mushas. My Saucony type A5 were showing serious wear and tear after just 70 miles.

I would have thought that 200 miles would be around the absolute limit for a pair of racing shoes, like the Mushas. My Saucony type A5 were showing serious wear and tear after just 70 miles.
    Maybe? I'd kind of expect the soles to go alright since they're so much thinner, but it always seems to be the uppers on the Mushas. I know weight is cut from all parts of the shoe, I just didn't think uppers took that much punishment.
    FWIW, I've done all my training in Mushas for the last couple of years and the 5's have broken down at about half the mileage of the 3's and 4's. They are a little easier on the eye though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I bought a pair of Musha's in January, they were in bits by April after about 300 miles. I've since bought a second pair and use them exclusively for races so I've had much longer use out of them.

Maybe? I'd kind of expect the soles to go alright since they're so much thinner, but it always seems to be the uppers on the Mushas. I know weight is cut from all parts of the shoe, I just didn't think uppers took that much punishment.
    FWIW, I've done all my training in Mushas for the last couple of years and the 5's have broken down at about half the mileage of the 3's and 4's. They are a little easier on the eye though :)
    Jaysus... Don't know how you could do all your training in Mushas. I've just under 200 miles in mine, and they're as hard as concrete. Are you very light?
    Rigsy wrote:
    I've only worn them for around 150 miles and notice they are badly worn on the outside of the left shoe.
    Sorry for the side-track. Perhaps you could post a photo of the wear-pattern? Probably best just to call into your nearest Amphibian King, and they can give you advice about your gait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Rigsy wrote: »

Obviously taking a shot in the dark on this, are you mostly running on roads and always on the same side of the road?

Uneven wear would normally indicate an imbalance in mechanics (which the orthotics should be addressing) or a definite pattern to your running environment which roads and on the right hand side (facing traffic) would be.

Your left foot is scuffing the ground a little more than the right which is where the uneven wear is coming from.

Jaysus... Don't know how you could do all your training in Mushas. I've just under 200 miles in mine, and they're as hard as concrete. Are you very light?

About 69KG and 1.83m, so lightish. Mostly it's down to running on the front/middle of the foot though. The calves are doing the shock-absorbing.

I'll probably pop into AK Ashtown in the next few weeks to grab one more pair of Mushas to get me through DCM, then switch to something a little sturdier.

[/thread hijack]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'll probably pop into AK Ashtown in the next few weeks to grab one more pair of Mushas to get me through DCM, then switch to something a little sturdier.

[/thread hijack]

Have a look at the Sayonara while you are in there. Might be an option for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

On a related note I run approx 21km on average per week which is 1,092km per year or approx 680 miles per year. My running is done on concrete footpaths and tarmac cycle lanes where available.
    I used a pair of Asics neutral runners (use orthotics) which cost approx €120 in Wheelworx Lucan (can't recall proper name of runners), and changed them after a year. I now have a pair of Saucony runners.
    The lady in Wheelworx said that a pair of runners should last a year based on my run rate.
    I only changed the runners because I thought a year was roughly the max length of time you should use them for i.e. there wasn't particularly bad wear and tear on the soles.
    Based on the comments in this thread, it would appear I should have replaced the runners much sooner? Surprising that the advice of a shop suggests keeping them for longer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Depends on the shoe, I usually change in the 500-600 ml range as a precaution or if I feel the shoe is 'dead', some say 100hrs.
    The discussion above is with regard to racing flats, which will wear out more quickly due to their minimal and lightweight construction.

• Advertisement

PGL wrote: »
    On a related note I run approx 21km on average per week which is 1,092km per year or approx 680 miles per year. My running is done on concrete footpaths and tarmac cycle lanes where available.
    I used a pair of Asics neutral runners (use orthotics) which cost approx €120 in Wheelworx Lucan (can't recall proper name of runners), and changed them after a year. I now have a pair of Saucony runners.
    The lady in Wheelworx said that a pair of runners should last a year based on my run rate.
    I only changed the runners because I thought a year was roughly the max length of time you should use them for i.e. there wasn't particularly bad wear and tear on the soles.
    Based on the comments in this thread, it would appear I should have replaced the runners much sooner? Surprising that the advice of a shop suggests keeping them for longer!
    Based on your weekly mileage, you are probably running one day out of every 2/3 days, for distances of around 7-8kms? So your shoes also have a good opportunity to recover from each run, and will ultimately last longer. I would imagine that running shoes that get more occasional use (rather than pounding out 8-10 miles per day) will ultimately last longer, so the advice you got from Wheelworx is probably pretty sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Rigsy wrote: »
    Hi All

I always seem to wear out runners around the 300 mile mark (not that I would be carrying much extra weight or anything). I recently started wearing orthotics and have been wearing a pair of Mizuno Ultima Wave.

Does anyone else have a similar problem or any suggestions?

Just as a matter of interest are you wearing orthotics from Micheal Davis?
    I would find because these are a spongy/soft material you will hit the ground harder due to poor proprioception.You will hit the ground hard as your brain is telling you its ok due to the high level of cushioning.
    Also throw in that you might hit the ground at a greater angle and that inital contact can be in one area.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 32 Rigsy

Yes, they're from Michael Davis. You could be right about hitting the ground harder alright. Have you had the same problem?

Yes AK, you're spot on I'm afraid about running on a cambered road! Most of my runs will contain a 3 mile stretch where I run out the bus lane facing the traffic and back in the same way. That would explain the wear pattern, would it also explain wearing so quickly? Any suggestions of a more durable runner to use instead please?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Hope the Brooks Dyad work out well for you.AK West spot on about the camber on the road as all the wear was on the left shoe.
    16 miler this weekend no bother to ya :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 32 Rigsy

Thanks Kevin. Did 4 miles in the new ones tonight and felt grand (avoided the usual route!)

Fingers crossed now for the long run at the weekend. Thanks for your help today.

Advertisement