Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few quick questions on the UPC Horizon box

• 01-09-2013 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Thinking of taking the Horizon plunge, before I do, can someone confirm if it's possible to set up NAT / passthrough, change SSID / DHCP settings etc on the modem settings like I can on my current Thompson?

Have there been any connection / speed issues with this box?

Lastly (this isn't strictly a BB question, sorry!), is the EPG / PVR side of things a better experience than the current Cisco ones?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I don't know the answers to your questions but one thing to consider is this: I believe from talking to a UPC rep that it is possible to keep your existing modem alongside the Horizon box. Of course, this came from a UPC rep and so should be taken with a tablespoon of salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

It is possible to get them to decommission the router within the Horizon and provision a separate modem\router such as the Cisco or Thompson. They have done it for a neighbour of mine.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Yakuza wrote: »
    Lastly (this isn't strictly a BB question, sorry!), is the EPG / PVR side of thinks a better experience than the current Cisco ones?

Yes but it's still not ideal yet by any means. Lots of niggly stuff that makes it a bit of a pain to use that I thought would be fixed before it was launched.

Imagine, they've put in a 'Delete Everything' option on the PVR before they put in a 'Delete Series' option. So if you go into a TV show's recordings you can choose 'Delete' which deletes the episode of the show you have highlighted or 'Delete Everything' which deletes EVERY recording on your box! The missus was caught out on this one early on.

Want to set a recording for a program next Monday? You have to bring up the Program Guide and then scroll through every show for every day between now and then to set the recording - there's no way of skipping days! Fine if you want to record something tomorrow but a pita if you want to record something 4 or 5 days down the line.

These are just a couple of the things that are missing and weirdly things that you could do on the old box so I can't understand why they weren't carried across. Sky would never have released a PVR/EPG without this basic stuff imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

As regards speed, my experience may be helpful as I also had the Thomson box before . I also have placed Horizon in the exact same location as the Thomson was . My speed is exactly the same as before. Generally get 55 to 70 wireless in the next door room. Box is in the sitting room and I can still get a signal in the attic where my kids use the Xbox. Wired speed is getting 150 as promised.

My single biggest issue is that wireless printing does not work with it , where it did with the Thompson.

Overall happy with the broadband outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Thanks for the replies, I've ordered one from them this morning (swapping out an old SD recorder box) and as suggested above am keeping my current modem (I got them to waive the activation fees :) as I'm happy with the speed I'm getting and I didn't want to have to set up the DMZ / pinholes etc all over again.

Thanks again.

Advertisement