Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike acting weird will only start sometimes

• 01-09-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Have been spinning around on my bike now for a couple of weeks, she's a Hyosung GT125R and up until the other day she has been running perfect.

I was driving home and she started to loose power all of a sudden and it finally got to the point where she just died on the side of the road.

I tried starting her but had no avail. Tried giving her a push start but she wouldn't even fire.

Strangely enough though after trying to push start her I left her for a minute and she then started first push of the button and was fine for the rest of the day.

She started first push of the button for the rest of the day and ran perfectly.

However yesturday I tried to start her to go to work and she wouldn't start, she was turning over but just failed to start. Tried to push start her but same thing again, yet funnily she started perfect first push of the button after the push start attempt.

She has been running yesturday but is lacking power, it's like someone is tugging on me with a rope from the back. There were points where I'd stop at a roundabout and she would cut out as I went to take off.

None the less she was still drivable until tonight and the exact same thing happened again. (Not starting, not starting with push and then starting after the failed push with the button).

It's weird and happens at random (makes me worry, don't want to break down haha), anyone know what might be the problem?

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Dirty pertol or dirt inside the carb or your air filter is blocked.

(Or maybe the ignition wiring is snagged somewhere and shorting out.)

But it's probably dirt in the fuel system by the sounds of it. Check your spark plug too and the HT lead and HT plugcap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Hey all,
    I was driving home and she started to loose power all of a sudden and it finally got to the point where she just died on the side of the road.

Possible fuel starvation? Maybe the fuel cap isn't venting. When it cuts out open the fuel cap and listen for a rush of air entering the tank.
    Does it stutter to a stop as if running out of fuel?

There's probably a drain screw at the bottom of the carb. Open it (when the failure occurs) to ensure there is fuel in carb. CAUTION: Do not over-tighten. Just a nip. The carb is soft alloy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

I had similiar issues with my gt250r.
    It is an electrical problem. I had to get a new ECU for the bike.
    Bring it to to a garage (bike world are the main importers of the bike)
    They will try charge you a bomb for the parts but you can get them online.
    PM me for the site if you need to.

Also a bit of preventitve advice, get them to check the tensioner spring while they're at it. Mine snapped and the cam chain jumped a few teeth and destroyed the bike. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Anyone think its the reg/rec?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Anyone think its the reg/rec?

I doubt it. The battery would be shot - either over-charged or flat. From my reading of the description there doesn't seem to be any shortage of amps to turn the starter motor.

A basic check of the electrics would be to look for spark at the plug next time it fails. No need to remove the s/plug. Carry a spare plug, attach it to plug lead and earth it against cyl. head. Turn over engine and check for sparks (ideally blue not yellow) Caution: High voltage. Handle with care.

• Advertisement

I doubt it. The battery would be shot - either over-charged or flat. From my reading of the description there doesn't seem to be any shortage of amps to turn the starter motor.

A basic check of the electrics would be to look for spark at the plug next time it fails. No need to remove the s/plug. Carry a spare plug, attach it to plug lead and earth it against cyl. head. Turn over engine and check for sparks (ideally blue not yellow) Caution: High voltage. Handle with care.

Took a look at them already, they're grand, for some reason she's bounced back into action tonight and running smootly. I cleaned the petrol pipes and cars today with cleaner so that seems to have done the trick, for now at least.

Will let you all know how she goes for the next few days, hopefully the problem has been sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Took a look at them already, they're grand, for some reason she's bounced back into action tonight and running smootly. I cleaned the petrol pipes and cars today with cleaner so that seems to have done the trick, for now at least.

Will let you all know how she goes for the next few days, hopefully the problem has been sorted!

What did you use to clean the carbs. Is it an easy job?

What did you use to clean the carbs. Is it an easy job?

A can of carb cleaner from halfords (Wynn's), read the reviews gave it a shot have used it on previous bikes, it's excellent.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_202903_langId_-1_categoryId_212351

It's an easy job but make sure you know how to put the carbs back together, and properly and be careful when screwing in and taking out the jets.

You can get tins of carb cleaner which you can soak the parts in, but make sure to remove all the seals as the carb cleaner will eat at them.

(Same as the spray really just make sure everything has been cleaned!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

It does say ''Cleans carburettor & intake system without disassembly'' Ah sure ill look into it. Might not even need to get it done.

It does say ''Cleans carburettor & intake system without disassembly'' Ah sure ill look into it. Might not even need to get it done.

Yeah you can spray it right in, but thats like adding a mixture to the petrol, it will clean it but for best results you'd be better off taking it apart and getting into all the jets and making sure it's 100% clean.

But yeah you can spray it into the carb as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have one of these for years in the toolbox at home: really handy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Energy-Ignition-Tester-Spark-Plug-Tool-Diagnostic-Coil-Test-Wire-Cable-USA-/221238814510

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-25716-hei-ignition-tester.aspx

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement