Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary school recommendations

Options
  • 01-09-2013 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

I live in Dundrum with my husband and neither of us is from Dublin so the whole school decision process is mind boggling. I have a 6 month old daughter and we have been advised to enrol her for secondary schools already.

We are planning to send her to the local parish primary school. I have applied to Muckross Secondary but that's it.

Also considering: Mount Anville, Alex, Wesley (although I'd prefer a girls only secondary school)

Can anyone advise about secondary schools in the area, public or private? the need to consider feeder primary schools? We will not be meeting any of the priority categories so will be bottom of all the lists

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Secondary school at 6 months? Lots of places won't take names that young.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

The main feeder school for Wesley in Dundrum would be Taney, and it would improve your chances if considering this. There are quite a number of catholic kids in the school and they are very supportive of 1st communions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Karlla

thanks for replying, I shall check Taney out. Any idea about girls only, such as Notre Dame (or others I don't know about?), or how to help chances in Mount Anville / Alex ? I'm not prepared to pay for primary education.

If private secondary schools end up not being an option, any positive reviews of local public schools - I'm not familiar with them at all.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Raphaela's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Raphaela's?

Actually I heard that had a new principal and the school has improved considerably - worth considering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Our Lady's Grove is another in the locality.

Sandford also just went co-ed, though I know you'd prefer an all-girls school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Both Our Ladies Grove ( now called Jesus and Mary college) and St Raphaelas are excellent girls school. I was very impressed by the open evenings in both schools and by reports from parents of current pupils.

There is no need to have your 6 month old childs name down for either school. Under the current rules, applying in 1st or 2nd class is acceptable.

Given the draft legislation published yesterday, IMO, there is no point in applying at the moment, until the new law in enacted and schools
    publish the new procedures.

A lot of people talk about the importance of feeder schools but this is not always the case. For any school that you are interested in, ask to see the enrolment policy which will tell you what criteria they use to offer places. Often feeder schools are not mentioned at all, and its all local folklore that certain primary schools are favoured. If in doubt, check the actual information.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 delhibelly

Hi All,

need some help/advice
    my son will be going to secondary school next year
    didn't get a place in benildus n oatlands since we moved to Dublin a year back the seats were gone only choice is St Tiernan's in Dundrum, De la salle in Churchtown or Ballinteer College - need some feedbacks on the above spl on St Tiernan's
    Thanks in advance for all the advice
    regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

delhibelly wrote: »
    only choice is St Tiernan's in Dundrum, De la salle in Churchtown or Ballinteer College -

Do you mean Ballinteer Community School?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 delhibelly

yes you are correct BCScool

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

I would go for De la Salle. All I have to back that up is going to a girls' school in the area and knowing people that went to all of those schools. I would consider De la Salle to be the best of those three, but this is based on my experience of growing up in the area, not of having gone there (obviously!) or sending a child there.

Advertisement