Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2006 Jetta TDI engine squeal

Options
  • 01-09-2013 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,

I've a 2006 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI and recently it has developed a squeal. It was intially intermittent and happened on start up but now it does it everytime.
    I had a listen to it and it is coming from the auxiliary drive belt.
    Intially thought it might be the alternator but the battery has been recharging fine and the all the electrics work while driving.

Checked the tension on the belt and I think it could do with tightening. So the noise is probably the belt slipping (open to correction on this).

My Haynes manual does not tell me how to adjust the tensioner. I can't find it anywhere on line either.

Anyone know how/can it be done? Or do it have a different problem?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The tensioner is automatic and can't be adjusted.

Is the tensioner jumping around when the engine is running?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Thanks George. I'll have to get a look at the tensioner when it's running to be sure. I can't see it from the top of the engine but I'll remove the arch liner and look.

Checked it there. Tensioner is staying steady on the belt on tick over. Could it a bearing in the alternator or one of the other items it drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

It could be yes. The next thing to do is take off the belt and start the engine and see if the noise is still there or not.

Took the belt off and the noise is gone. Checked the pulley on the alternator and it will only turn in one direction when i block it.
    should there be end play on the pulley?

• Advertisement
Advertisement