Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arriving in Canada

Options
  • 02-09-2013 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hey all just getting set soon to arrive and well just few tips if anyone can help.
    1. Transferring money
    What is best way of bringing money when arriving and before Canadian Bank account is set up. I have credit card and Current a/c but ATM card won't work abroad so like anyone got advise as it appreciated.

2. On arriving I know I've to get the equivalent of PPS number here but where and how do I get it (in Calgary)

3. I have resume done Canadian style but is there much point applying before I arrive and any ideas where to start applying

And any other information is appreciated. Very nervous so don't want to forget anything. So any tips on basics to bring like how many Resumes etc and just out of curiosity is €2100 enough to have arriving. I don't have to pay rent as staying with my cousin until I set up luckily but is that enough or can anyone advise. I know it more than $2500 required but I mean it in terms of enough to start realistically

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

1. Load up your credit card and bring the rest in cash. Open canadian account when you arrive.
    2. It's a SIN number. From what I remember there is an immigration desk at the airport and you will get a temp one there.
    Details: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/sin/
    3.I would apply a couple of weeks before you arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

I'm not going to Calgary for another 2 months and I already started applying for jobs, I have a Skype interview tomorrow! But I suppose it depends on what you do for a living, I'm in media so I can send them a portfolio. When you are applying remember kijjik or whatever its called won't forward the email to the employer if you're applying from outside Canada, and to put down your Canadian address and pretend are living there now. You will get replies much faster that way.
    if you have any questions you can pm me :)

Advertisement