Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking moving to Uk(Grad)?

• 02-09-2013 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

i finished my 3 year degree in software development in may, and all summer i been applying for a few jobs in uk mainly in liverpool , Manchester, Chester, i had a few phones interview and one face to face one in bangor but did not get it, i really like Chester would love to move there if possible. I have a week to know if want to go back to college, i doubt i will and give full time to trying to find a job over internet in UK from Ireland. I have been using only indeed.co.uk so far and find it quite well but is there any other ways i could apply for jobs in the UK for grads mainly around the areas i have mentioned. I will be going alone, i want a change from Ireland more than anything and see how it works out.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi OP,

There's always totaljobs.com, fish4jobs and many others. Google is your friend. You could try recruitment agencies as well. Believe me, there's no shortage of those. Chester's meant to be lovely and you're near Manchester as well.

Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

im living in manchester at the moment.... its a great town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 irishlad92

thanks i will try out totaljobs and fish4jobs. I have got a good few replies and phone calls so at some stage i will probley get lucky and get a job out of it. When i went for my job interview in bangor wales i also visited Manchester, Chester , Liverpool and other areas around there seem really nice to me, main thing for me is a change from home, if i always don't like it its only a small bit away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Would some companies pay for your flight & expenses for going to the Uak for interview?

Not so far anyways, all companies so far gave me phone interviews and if they liked me after that and were serious about maybe hiring they bring ya over for a face to face interview, but its cheap anyway to go to Uk and i taking it as a bit of a holiday and get away from home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Linkedin is another place to look

Cool never really thought of trying linkedin ... thanks :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Would some companies pay for your flight & expenses for going to the Uak for interview?

Quite a lot do reimbursement for interviews. Be aware that they might only cover so much if you're flying.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

irishlad92 wrote: »
    Cool never really thought of trying linkedin ... thanks :)

Set up your profile on it like a CV, and take it from there...

Cool thanks man :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Another vote for LinkedIn here. I use it extensively and when I was recruiting I spent a lot of time viewing profiles on it.

You should also join some relevant LinkedIn Groups as most groups have job boards within them. Search Groups for your field of interest and then apply to join. Many Groups are locked and require an Admin to allow you access. The Admin will look at your profile (or as much as they can see of it) and decide whether to grant access.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 GradEngineer

Try www.gradcracker.com

Its where I found my job and in my opinion its the only place to look for graduate engineering jobs in the UK

Theres not as much up there now as before because its a little late but from this mont next years jobs should start going up again.

cool thanks, indeed.co.uk has been going quite well so far anyway, i have a interview in the uk at the end of the month so hope it goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Another +1 for Linkedin. Well worth spending a bit on time on your profile and making it (and you) look as good as possible.

Jobserve.co.uk is another good recruitment site.

MrP

Advertisement