Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from outside EU

Options
  • 02-09-2013 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

We are in the middle of setting up a store and will be looking to import stock from Usa and China. I have read that you can pre-declare these items before they come in so the correct vat and duty is charged but for the life of me i can find and way to do this or a guide on how to.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a simple guide or way to do this.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Send a PM to Rudolf289. He knows. Everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Hi,

Thanks for that,

I did already but haven't heard back from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

liger wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for that,

I did already but haven't heard back from him.

Apologies, will revert asap to your PM. Have been travelling, at least that's my excuse

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Okay mate,

Whenever you get a chance I would appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Send an email to "aephelpdesk_at_revenue.ie" and request information about a EORI registration !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

rolion wrote: »
    Send an email to "aephelpdesk_at_revenue.ie" and request information about a EORI registration !

Hello Rolion,

indeed that is one of the requirements you need to observe. Especially if you are a VAT registered trader, you also need to be registered for EORI. The EORI number will be the same as your VAT number.

Have a look at the document attached to this post ;

Import chapters are ;

1) INCO terms.
    For China, I would recommend Free On Board (FOB) Chinese port of shipment. In that case your supplier will have to deliver the shipment to the port, pay for the loading in the port and arrange for export customs formalities
    For the USA I would suggest ex works - that appears to be the most commonly used INCO term. Essentially the exporter just has to load the goods on the vehicle that collects the shipment from their factory. You will be responsible for all charges from that point onward, including arranging export formalities. However, your (Irish based) forwarder can handle that through their agent in the USA.

2) Marine Insurance
    Would recommend you cover the risks while your goods are in transit.

3) Import process
    Your forwarder should be able to guide you through the formalities. You will need to establish the customs tariff number, which you can do by contacting the Tariff Classification Unit in Nenagh. Your forwarder can also confirm the Duty and VAT amounts due on your imports. He would need to know the customs tariff number, value and details of the shipment, so he can issue a proforma calculation.

The attached document is an outline. If you have any further questions, please drop me aline (I promise to answer quicker than this time).

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Helen321

It is not the customs duty or vat that is the problem.It will be all the other made up charges by the the shipping company/port etc this end depending on size of the load.If they are small items you wont suffer too much but for large bulky items covering a few CBM you will have your charges inflated astronomically.Customs and vat is NOT the main issue regarding costs.That would be the least of your worries regarding expense.
    liger wrote: »
    Hi there,

We are in the middle of setting up a store and will be looking to import stock from Usa and China. I have read that you can pre-declare these items before they come in so the correct vat and duty is charged but for the life of me i can find and way to do this or a guide on how to.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a simple guide or way to do this.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement