Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on sick leave

Options
  • 02-09-2013 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys,

I have called into work sick and said that I am certed for 4days. Trouble is I haven't been to the doctor and cannot afford to.... I know I will also need to fill out the social welfare illness benefit form and that can only be gotten from the doctors.
    Any advice on how to deal with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

How did you get your 4 day cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're so sick that you cannot work for four days, you need to go to the doctor anyway.

After the consultation, when you have a cert and the SW form, tell them that you will pay them E10 per week for the next 6 weeks.

After you're well again, start saving some of your wages, so this doens't happen again

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jessie85m

If you're so sick that you cannot work for four days, you need to go to the doctor anyway.

Sickness is not always physical.

I asked for advice not a condensending lecture. And also, didn't need any financial advice.

Thanks for your input. No further replies required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Jessie85m wrote: »

I asked for advice not a condensending lecture. And also, didn't need any financial advice.

If you're mentally ill (as you hinted in the above post), you need to see a doctor regardless. You can't know how long it's going to take you to be well enough to go to work.

Mrs O wasn't being condescending. She was giving you practical advice to get you to the doctor in a way that you can afford to pay, and to make sure you're not left stuck in this situation again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Jessie85m wrote: »

How did you get a cert, if you didnt go to the doctor ?

Most places require a doctors cert for 2 days sickness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

John Mason wrote: »
    How did you get a cert, if you didnt go to the doctor ?

She doesn't have a cert, she lied about being certified for the four days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Op - your post sounds like you are claiming to be certified sick for 4 days when you are not, and you want to know a way to get your SW benefit for the 4th day (days 1-3 are not payable BTW) and pass off the lack of certs without out actually going to a doctor. Sorry, but you won't get any advice on how to work around the system here - that is technically fraudulent behaviour.

All I can suggest is that you phone your GP, explain your situation and that you can't afford to see him/her just now and see what solution they offer. As Mrs O mentioned, they may agree a payment plan or something. But without a visit to a GP you cannot get a cert nor get your SW payment. Failing that you can attend an A&E department, and be prepared to wait 8-12 hours to get a diagnosis, treatment and your certs and forms signed. They are the only two ways you can work within the system and not be doing something you shouldn't be.

Another option is to visit your community welfare officer and see if they can help you out with your medical costs and you can repay it weekly or at a later date. This is a long shot, but worth trying, but you will need to spend a few hours queuing to see the CWO.

A final option if you are financially so hard up that you can't afford a visit to the doctor is to contact a charity such as St Vincent de Paul and see if they can assist.

For ongoing medical assistance, perhaps you might consider applying for a medical or GP only card if you meet the criteria.

In future, when you call in sick, don't lie and say you have certs you don't have. Tell them you are sick today and don't know how long you will be out for but you will keep in contact. If conditions at work are contributing to your condition you need to let them know as this can be taken into consideration from a H&S perspective - your employer may even allow you to visit the company doctor which would be of no cost to you. Lying only compounds the situation and causes more stress in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

OP you now have two very big problems.

1 you are absent from work without leave/certification.
    2 you lied about having certification.

Employers take a very dim view of the first as if they allow it for one employee, they must allow it for all as all employees are required to be treated equally.

You will be asked to submit your cert on return to work, if you hesitate or do not submit it, the game will likely be up for you. Unfortunately, as condescending as it sounds, this situation was made a lot worse by you claiming to have a fictitious cert.

Borrow from a relative, get the cert quickly as GPs are not likely to backdate a cert 5 days after you claim the illness began. But in the end, you will have to take responsibility for any consequences which occur.

Advertisement