Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing lead for puppy?

• 02-09-2013 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I have a 12 week old lab and until now have been using a retractable lead that a friend had going spare. It must have been on it's last legs though and stopped retracting yesterday so time for a new lead. Some people are saying not to get a retractable one though. What's the best to get? I like the retractable because I live beside a beach so it's a short walk there with the lead as short as possible and him by my side and then I can let him explore the beach without being off the lead. He comes back when I call him so I don't see an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I just use a standard flat lead atm - nothing fancy as I let it trail behind my pup so she can have a run around with the other dogs. The retractable ones are fine when they're babies but in a month or two when the pup bolts at something he'll pull your arm off! Also with a normal lead you can be teaching the puppy not to pull which isn't IMO going to happen with a flexi lead.
    Also if he catches you off guard runs to play with other dogs there could be an accident. I have cuts/burns on my ankle from somebody letting their pup on flexi run and play with my pup last week :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The puppy trainer I used didn't like flexi leads unless she was training a pup for recall. Personally, I think they're dangerous, and shouldn't really be used for street walking. I walk my dog either off-lead or with a standard one. But that's my opinion...

I just have a standard Ancol 1m lead for my dog. Nice and strong, and the handle's padded. I get mine from eBay.

The puppy trainer I used didn't like flexi leads unless she was training a pup for recall. Personally, I think they're dangerous, and shouldn't really be used for street walking. I walk my dog either off-lead or with a standard one. But that's my opinion...

I just have a standard Ancol 1m lead for my dog. Nice and strong, and the handle's padded. I get mine from eBay.

I agree tbh. Empty beach though not so bad..but trust me OP the pup is a baby - he'll bolt sooner or later after a leaf or something and take the arm off you.. or you'll automatically go to grab at the chord and burn yourself. Train once they're 30kgs!

Safer to clip two leads together.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

It happened already, nearly dislocated my shoulder! I'll take your advice and stick with a basic short lead to train him. Once he's trained he can go off leash on the beach, best of both worlds!

robocode wrote: »
    It happened already, nearly dislocated my shoulder! I'll take your advice and stick with a basic short lead to train him. Once he's trained he can go off leash on the beach, best of both worlds!

A whistle is fanstaic for the beach too - especially when it's windy or they're out swimming etc. You need to condition the dog to it - ao whistle and treat again and again at home for a couple of weeks before trying it outside. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Never thought of that, sounds like a good idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

You can get leads made to whatever length you need, some breeds can't be let off lead, so we owners get really long leads, but I wouldn't use a retractable one, I don't like them. If you care for them properly, they can last, but if you don't take the hair off them before they retract, etc then they soon become inefficient.

Sarah at Willows Leads on FB will make a lead to whatever length you want, and whatever colour, and at a very good cost. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I like the Halti training lead. You can have it long/short, doubled up, use it as a belt wrapped around you for hands free, double ended on collar/harness, loads of uses.
    I also use a walking belt and it's so convenient to clip on for extra safety, or if you need to pick up a poo and need both hands:D

http://www.petshoponline.ie/index.php/halti-training-lead

https://www.google.ie/search?q=halti+training+lead&rlz=1C1GGGE_enIE471IE471&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=WH4kUsrbO6LB7Abu-4CoAQ&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

What walking belt do you use Clare? I'm thinking I might something to use like that for when I take Roxie jogging with me. Restractable lead is a bit of a pain!

I had this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Waist-belt-lead-black/dp/B001275GYA

But it's on it's last legs, it's fully elastic so it stretches out, but I've stretched it to the limit! The lead has a bungee on it though which is brilliant, no jerking.

I was going to get either this one:

http://www.snowpawstore.com/collars-leads-belts/dog-walking-belts/deluxe-walking-belt.html

Or there's others on that site that would be suitable.

Or this one:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.218609651550685.50363.137788806299437&type=3

I'm leaning more towards this one because of the bungee cords and I can colour coordinate it with their new collars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I had this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Waist-belt-lead-black/dp/B001275GYA

But it's on it's last legs, it's fully elastic so it stretches out, but I've stretched it to the limit! The lead has a bungee on it though which is brilliant, no jerking.

I was going to get either this one:

http://www.snowpawstore.com/collars-leads-belts/dog-walking-belts/deluxe-walking-belt.html

Or there's others on that site that would be suitable.

Or this one:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.218609651550685.50363.137788806299437&type=3

I'm leaning more towards this one because of the bungee cords and I can colour coordinate it with their new collars.

I have a Nordkyn one that I got years ago and its still going strong, which is great, but it means I can't justify spending money on a new one from that last link, Trailbaby. Sharon has been working huskies for years, so her stuff is really strong and well made, some people walk 4 or 5 huskies on the belts. I think thats madness :D

muddypaws wrote: »
    I have a Nordkyn one that I got years ago and its still going strong, which is great, but it means I can't justify spending money on a new one from that last link, Trailbaby. Sharon has been working huskies for years, so her stuff is really strong and well made, some people walk 4 or 5 huskies on the belts. I think thats madness :D

The collars I got are Nordkyn. They are perfect, no plastic clips to break, really well stitched, and the colours are gorgeous:D. But the plain black belt is out of stock and also there's no bungees with it, which is why I'm leaning towards the trailbaby one.

I would walk two dogs on my belt and have mine off lead but put them on the lead when I need to, but it's usually just for 2 minutes from the gate to the road or heading into the cafe on the beach. I would imagine with 4 huskies though, you would need a parachute to slow you down if they took off:D

Advertisement