Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unlocked iPhone 4S not accepting meteor sim

• 02-09-2013 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi there

I bought a sealed, factory unlocked iPhone 4S from a lad from adverts.ie yesterday, but when I got home and put my meteor sim into it, the phone wouldn't accept the SIM. The following warning pops up:

"The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. this is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."

I've been in contact with the guy since and he is going to refund me my money. He said he bought it from the Carphone warehouse in the UK, and the sales assistant told him it would work in Ireland, so I'm wondering what's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

pushpop wrote: »
    Hi there

I bought a sealed, factory unlocked iPhone 4S from a lad from adverts.ie yesterday, but when I got home and put my meteor sim into it, the phone wouldn't accept the SIM. The following warning pops up:

"The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. this is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."

I've been in contact with the guy since and he is going to refund me my money. He said he bought it from the Carphone warehouse in the UK, and the sales assistant told him it would work in Ireland, so I'm wondering what's going on?

Phone is probably lock to a UK network, have you tried with another network sim? if he has a bill it might say what network phone is lock to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

Phone isnt unlocked. Activation policy is assigned to a specific network which isnt meteor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi there

Sounds like the phone is not unlocked at all.
    Try a sim from every network until you get one that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

kceire wrote: »
    Sounds like the phone is not unlocked at all.
    Try a sim from every network until you get one that works.

That won't work at all.

OP, the guy who sold the phone in Carphone Warehouse probably meant the phone would work in Ireland while the guy was roaming here, not that all SIMs would work in it.

The phone you have is still locked to whichever network he bought it with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭pushpop

Thanks for the responses. Meeting the guy later to arrange a refund anyway so don't need to spend any more time on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭crixos30

Thanks for the responses. Meeting the guy later to arrange a refund anyway so don't need to spend any more time on it :)

Hi the when you buy an unlocked I phone the phone will lock to what ever net work you activate it on and for it to work on another network you been to restore the phone in iTunes with the new Sim card in it please note you may need to restore twice for the new activation policy to be applied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

crixos30 wrote: »
    Hi the when you buy an unlocked I phone the phone will lock to what ever net work you activate it on and for it to work on another network you been to restore the phone in iTunes with the new Sim card in it please note you may need to restore twice for the new activation policy to be applied

That's utter rubbish. There was reports of it happening once or twice here but it shouldn't happen and at the time apple couldn't give a reason why it locked

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sonics2k wrote: »
    That won't work at all.

OP, the guy who sold the phone in Carphone Warehouse probably meant the phone would work in Ireland while the guy was roaming here, not that all SIMs would work in it.

The phone you have is still locked to whichever network he bought it with.

Why not?
    I had an iPhone 4S from work recently that the guy didnt know what network it was on (got it from his brother).

I have an iphone tool box with various bits and pieces including all IRL network sims and even a few UK ones.

I tried it one by one until a 3 Ireland sim worked perfect.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

crixos30 wrote: »

I think you've got the wires crossed here.
    Every iPhone sold is unlocked, but when you get it from a carrier, it is ready to lock to that carrier when the sim card is put in. If the phone is bought unlocked from Apple, or unlocked by the carrier it won't lock again.

Advertisement