Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gate hardware

• 02-09-2013 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

I am making up some steel frame wood gates for the side of the house (14foot opening so two gates.)

I have no problem getting the steel or timber but the gate hardware is proving to be a problem. I need hinges (or eye and pins) , stops and latches..

Does anyone know of a place online or in the Limerick are where I can pick them up.. We are rescuing two dogs and have a home visit on Friday so they need to be up by then...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭eggox

knipex wrote: »
    I am making up some steel frame wood gates for the side of the house (14foot opening so two gates.)

I have no problem getting the steel or timber but the gate hardware is proving to be a problem. I need hinges (or eye and pins) , stops and latches..

Does anyone know of a place online or in the Limerick are where I can pick them up.. We are rescuing two dogs and have a home visit on Friday so they need to be up by then...
    I built two sets of twelve foot wooden gates, and the cheapest for hinges was archers hardware maybe i could of gotten them cheaper online if kept looking but the quick look i made didnt find anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Hey there - Last time I was in Joe Mckennas on Parnell St. he had gate hardware, seemed to be a variety of sizes and seemed well put together.

- I need to put two gates up to cover a 14' stretch too, you got me thinking..... Please PM me if you'd be interested in a nixer!

PS - Just to be 100% straight up, not sure when I'll have money - Budget keeps getting depleted by unexpected cash outlays :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Hey there - Last time I was in Joe Mckennas on Parnell St. he had gate hardware, seemed to be a variety of sizes and seemed well put together.

- I need to put two gates up to cover a 14' stretch too, you got me thinking..... Please PM me if you'd be interested in a nixer!

PS - Just to be 100% straight up, not sure when I'll have money - Budget keeps getting depleted by unexpected cash outlays :(

Thanks for that.

I had a good look around Limerick yesterday and 99% of the hardware available (particularly hinges) is designed for pretty light gates and for wooden gates.. out of frustration I went to a welding supplies place and ended up buying trailer hinge sets which I can weld directly to the gate frame and to the steel gate piers I installed.

I am happy enough doing this kind of stuff for myself and pay the premium to get stuff delivered. I wouldn't have the facilites to move my bigger tools (such as cement mixer) around so wouldn't be set up to do a nixer..

One thing you will need to watch is how you plan on hanging the gate. Do you have solid piers you can hang them off ?? Do you need to install them. Is your drive finished with tarmac or paving ? (Some digging will be required to put in a stop and to install the piers).

Cost wise steel is costing me about €100 (I already had some heavy stuff around for the piers but a length of 4inch box is about €120) €30 for the hinges and flap disks, about €60 in treated timber. Allow another 80 to 100 for latches sliding bolts etc plus paint. Obviously if you want it galvanised it will cost more.. but I am hoping to have them made and up for about €300 all in. At a guess I am looking at about 10 to 12 hours of labour (2 hours already put into installing the piers) .

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

Knobs and knockers are great (and I'm not just referring to their name).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Gautama wrote: »
    Knobs and knockers are great (and I'm not just referring to their name).

LOL

Well the gate is up and total cost of materials worked out at 345 and change (but to be fair I have some wood and a little under half a length of 30mm box (and paint)

Ended up using trailer hinges and sourced the running bolts and latches from Heighton Buckley's. Needs one more coat of paint and I need to make a very slight adjustment to fix a gap (pillars are not 100% parallel). Labour wise it took about 3 hours longer than planned mainly because one of the gates twisted when final welding..

• Advertisement
Advertisement