Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass everywhere (Balbriggan)

Options
  • 02-09-2013 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Is it Fingal who looks after the roads and footpaths? I'm amazed at the amount of broken glass all over the place. Maybe I'm only noticing it more now that my daughter is walking out of her buggy but its literally everywhere!!

Also anyone know who is supposed to be looking after that playground in Moylaragh? It's disgusting :O

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Also anyone know who is supposed to be looking after that playground in Moylaragh? It's disgusting :O

Yes it is disgusting. To answer your question, I would say fingal co council should be maintaining the playground but right now no one is. And as a result teenagers have started drinking there and tearing up the play surface.

Here is a video taken this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Yes it is disgusting. To answer your question, I would say fingal co council should be maintaining the playground but right now no one is. And as a result teenagers have started drinking there and tearing up the play surface.

Here is a video taken this weekend

Was on to coco yesterday anything to do with Moylaragh green and playground is supposedly managed by the Moylaragh management company?? They don't have any contact details for them but its just disgusting.

I wouldn't mind but she just loves that playground too.. Any way of finding out the management company?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Was on to coco yesterday anything to do with Moylaragh green and playground is supposedly managed by the Moylaragh management company?? They don't have any contact details for them but its just disgusting.

I wouldn't mind but she just loves that playground too.. Any way of finding out the management company?

I think Newlyn (the developer for Moylaragh) are still responsible for the playground. I believe there may have been a thread on this before, but can't seem to find it for you now - because there was a contact person in Newlyn that was responsible for this listed in the thread. At that time, the area was cleaned, and some of the broken equipment replaced.

There are apparently a couple of things that they need to do and then the council could take it in charge. There was an article in the Fingal Independent about this in February (http://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/agreement-reached-on-moylaragh-playground-29094487.html).

There are actually a couple of Councillors named in the article. It might be worth following up with them directly about it.

Also the green party seem to be looking at it too (but have as much power as ourselves) - http://www.northcountyleader.ie/local-politics/o-brien-up-in-arms-over-neglected-balbriggan-playground.

Hope it helps - we've been trying to get this cleared up for ages, but keep hitting brick walls. Maybe with more voices, we may get some results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Thanks for that. The Fingal Independent link wouldn't work for me. edit: removing the ) at the end of the link helped.

I had a response from Cllr. Ciaran Byrne that there is a Swords Balbriggan council meeting on September 10th and he has submitted this motion:

"That in the interests of public health and safety that Fingal County Council undertake the maintenance of the open space at Moylaragh, Balbriggan, especially the litter bins beside the playground, where excess rubbish is attracting vermin."

Fairplay to Joe O'Brien also.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

They're not even taking care of any of the footpaths or roads around Balbriggan. There's broken glass EVERYWHERE you look. If they can't even do a simple thing like that can't see how they're gonna empty bins.

It's like Balbriggan is just cast off and forgotten about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I just watched that video - the state of the place is a bloody disgrace! I feel for anyone in the area who would have to rely on that playground as a source of amusement for their kids. :mad:

Keep on at your local councillors about this. There are enough people in the area around that playground to put real pressure on them & FCC to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. The Fingal Independent link wouldn't work for me. edit: removing the ) at the end of the link helped.

I had a response from Cllr. Ciaran Byrne that there is a Swords Balbriggan council meeting on September 10th and he has submitted this motion:

"That in the interests of public health and safety that Fingal County Council undertake the maintenance of the open space at Moylaragh, Balbriggan, especially the litter bins beside the playground, where excess rubbish is attracting vermin."

Fairplay to Joe O'Brien also.

Bit of copy and paste for Byrne.

http://www.northcountyleader.ie/news/disgraceful-condition-of-balbriggan-playground-resolved

"As the open space has not yet been taken in charge, the Council’s Parks Department contacted the developers to carry out the work as a matter of urgency, even before the motion was discussed at the Balbriggan Swords Area Committee meeting. Cllr. Byrne commended the Council Parks Department for it’s prompt action."

I wonder what they meant by commending the council parks department for "it's prompt action" before the motion was passed? Sounds like the council done the June clean-up and the developers were no-where to be seen...

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

If only there was some way to find out who these teenagers were and maybe contact their parents or failing that ring the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

There are two issues I see in the video - litter and antisocial behaviour by teenagers. The worst is the damage caused. Like someone said can people try to identify who the culprits are and maybe contact parents or police depending on seriousness of situation. Teenagers hanging around there is an issue for parents but criminal damage should be reported to Gardaí.

With regard to the litter unfortunately there are huge cut backs in Council services and as someone said there is an issue with estates that are managed by Management companies. It can be up to communities themselves to take over. The council will provide local communities with Graffitti cleaning equipment/paint, gloves and bags for clean-ups etc . They have a scheme called "Adopt a patch" and maybe the parents who use this facility could "adopt" it and keep the litter picked themselves. If a lot of people got together it wouldn't take too long. Of course lobby politicians and the Council as well but sometimes people just have to get together and try and sort things themselves - especially now with all the cut backs in Government spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

My understanding of the situation is that a consortium of developers (Parkway Partnership) are responsible for this area including the "park" between Moylaragh and Barons Hall. Some of them are in NAMA, and NAMA won't release funds to maintain the areas affected. Meanwhile the council are still trying to negotiate a settlement to take the area in charge.

As said, these kids and their parents are responsible for the mess that is there, as we all know even if the Gardai take action, the punishment is miniscule; and the parents don't care.

It's a disgraceful situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

A few years ago I sent Trevor Sargent an e-mail regarding putting lights in the playground as I could see the remains of broken bottles and empty cans as I would walk past. I got a reply from Fingal County Council saying that installing public lighting would only Encourage anti Social behaviour .............

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭netopia

They're not even taking care of any of the footpaths or roads around Balbriggan. There's broken glass EVERYWHERE you look.

This is something I've really noticed in the last few days too. I was pulling huge chunks of glass out of my buggy tyres earlier in the week.

I saw a young lad today cycling on a bike with no tyres just rims - perhaps he's just given up on repairing punctures!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

BMJD wrote: »
    My understanding of the situation is that a consortium of developers (Parkway Partnership) are responsible for this area including the "park" between Moylaragh and Barons Hall.

Would it be possible for the residents to take over and maintain their own upkeep? In our estate in Stamullen we have a resident's organization and everyone pays €50 per year for the grass to be mowed and getting a streetsweeper in every so many months. I know that the president of the organization actually mows all the greens himself :eek:

In any case - it might work? And maybe that way residents feel more responsible as well to keep their own area clean?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BalbrigganGirl

sNarah - same in my estate too - we are fed up of the wrangling between Newlyn's and Fingal CoCo - we manage our part of the estate ourselves.
    Not ideal but it's better than an unkempt area.

Also how about people band together and form a neighbourhood watch.
    Anti social behaviour is too easily accepted now and I understand folk can be scared of approaching a load of teenagers but we also need to make a stand that us Balbriggan people are not going to tolerate this and nip it in the bud before the place becomes known for such activity.

I'm sure the Gardai could give guidlelines for such a scheme

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Do any of you know of any estates in the town that have facebook pages?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

There are a number that have private Facebook groups, not pages.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Thats what I meant. Looking for one up near Chieftains way, or failing that Chieftains way itself. (beside dunnes)

Advertisement