Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copenhagen

• 02-09-2013 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Anyone been there? Is it worth a visit for a week or so?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yes, but it's bloody expensive. Some lovely galleries (if you like that kind of thing) nice scenery, Tivoli Park (albeit a bit touristy) and you can always do day trips around the island or to Roskilde, Helsingor or Malmo - plenty to do.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭billbond4

Christiana.
    Museums. Their natural history one is excellent I spent all day in there.
    Castles,
    Carlsberg factory tour(free) and free drinks at end.
    Storget for shops
    Take tour boat to see city. Best way to get idea of things.
    Of course mermaid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭lc180

Yes, but it's bloody expensive.

How expensive is it compared to Dublin?

I'm thinking of going in Jan/Feb but if its anything like Stockholm then I'll be avoiding it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

lc180 wrote: »
    How expensive is it compared to Dublin?

I'm thinking of going in Jan/Feb but if its anything like Stockholm then I'll be avoiding it!

Slightly more expensive than Stockholm. At least the same as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

I was there 2 weekends ago, expensive, very expensive. Lovely city though, I didn't get a chance to do may tourist things. Little Mermaid statue is hard to find!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Yes it's a nice place.....went last Xmas and really liked it. But shocking expensive so prepare yourself for that. If you are into food it's a great place to visit, can't give you any specific recommendations per say but there are lots of interesting restaurants -they are really into tasting menus, ie the chef prepares a set menu and you eat what your given but its tasty though!

Also a lot of places close on Sunday so factor that into your trip when you visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭lc180

What price can you expect for food and drinks?

In Stockholm it was about €9 a drink in some places and €2.50 for a bottle of water in the shop! Not a backpacker friendly place at all. Don't get me wrong its a beautiful city with a lot of great culture and sights but the sheer expense of things left me feeling quite negative about going back to Scandinavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Just one more thing - will I need a tourist Visa bearing in mind it's an EU country?

jimmurt wrote: »
    Just one more thing - will I need a tourist Visa bearing in mind it's an EU country?

No, just a passport (assuming it's an EU one of course!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

It's a nice city, but just too expensive. Kind of hard to relax and enjoy your food and drink when it's costing so much. I wouldn't bother, unless you've a specific interest in Denmark. Plenty of other cities in the world that are just as nice but a lot cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

Lucena wrote: »
    It's a nice city, but just too expensive. Kind of hard to relax and enjoy your food and drink when it's costing so much. I wouldn't bother, unless you've a specific interest in Denmark. Plenty of other cities in the world that are just as nice but a lot cheaper.

I was actually there for 6 days in Sept. I was staying with a friend and was able to buy food in Lidl and save some money.

But you're dead right tho, it's a nice City but if you want to go on a night out or enjoy a nice meal you're talking well over €100. By far the most expensive place I've ever been to and it gets a bit tedious after a few days.

Like you said it's hard to relax when you constantly thinking about saving money.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

I was there for 3 nights in July. Very nice city, but would have to agree with the above. Food and drink is very, very expensive especially. It's definitely possible to manage without spending a fortune but you are constantly aware of prices, which does make it difficult to enjoy it sometimes. We did a hop on-hop off bus tour, which was reasonably priced, so would recommend that - it included a boat tour, which was gorgeous. Stay away from Tivoli Gardens unless you're willing to spend the full day there to get the value from an all-inclusive ticket - you pay by the ride if you buy a general admission ticket and food/drink is shockingly expensive: 2 Carlsbergs and two small trays of chips: €26. Really lovely city to walk around though, and great museums. Christiania was a good laugh too. Little Mermaid was very disappointing though!! Also went to Malmo for a couple of hours - about 20 minutes by train. Found the 3 nights to be plenty of time though.

In terms of it being expensive, I didn't find it as expensive as Oslo and maybe a bit more so than Stockholm. Just your typical Scandinavian city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I thought Copenhagen was gorgeous, loved it and the vibe in the place.

It is expensive but it can be done a bit cheaper - we stayed in the Generator Hostel which was good value, they also do happy hours there in the hostel and there's a lidl around the corner for snacks/beers etc.

The thing with eating out there is that ordinary places are very expensive but places that might get a michelin star in a year or two like this place http://www.restaurantbror.dk/ aren't much more expensive.

In most places I went pints were €6/7 so not really that much more expensive than Dublin. We got super cheap tickets to the Opera €16 and the opera house is amazing itself.

It's just a great city to walk around for a weekend. I'd love to go back (with somone who wasn't moaning about the price of things the whole time!).

yeah, its around the same price as any Scandinavian city.
    Loved Copenhagen, will go back there again if I get a chance.
    If you want free beer just stay in the Carlsberg brewery when japanese tourists are there, loads of free tokens ! and it used to be a free tour !
    hmmm Tuborg gron .....

I thought Copenhagen was gorgeous, loved it and the vibe in the place.

It is expensive but it can be done a bit cheaper - we stayed in the Generator Hostel which was good value, they also do happy hours there in the hostel and there's a lidl around the corner for snacks/beers etc.

The thing with eating out there is that ordinary places are very expensive but places that might get a michelin star in a year or two like this place http://www.restaurantbror.dk/ aren't much more expensive.

In most places I went pints were €6/7 so not really that much more expensive than Dublin. We got super cheap tickets to the Opera €16 and the opera house is amazing itself.

It's just a great city to walk around for a weekend. I'd love to go back (with somone who wasn't moaning about the price of things the whole time!).

So no-one from this forum who's been there is invited?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Lucena wrote: »
    So no-one from this forum who's been there is invited?

:)

They can think it just not say it!

They can think it just not say it!

Sounds like a fun weekend!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

just wondering how expensive is expensive for Drinks?

so we're thinking of a stag in Copenhagen or Malmo or even Lund. Are we talking like €10 a beer in a nightclub? What about shots?

I didn’t go drinking much in Copenhagen, but here’s the little info I have.

I went for a few in the Mikkeller bar (top craft beer place), and 20cl was around 30DKK (€4), so that’d put the pint at around €12. But that was craft beer, so maybe an ordinary place with ordinary beer would be a little cheaper, but not much I’d imagine.

My OH was there for work last year, and had to get a round in in a hotel. One bottle of beer (33cl) was around €10.

To be honest, if you’re just going on the lash, you might as well avoid Scandinavia, unless you’ve a specific reason for wanting to go there, Little Mermaid fetish or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The space between

Plenty of cheaper establishments in Copenhagen you just need some local knowledge.

Bodegas are the place for a cheap pint and you can expect to pay €4-5 for a Carlsberg or Tuborg. You can also smoke in bodegas so their not to everyone's liking but they have a certain charm.

Another option is supermarkets and you can expect to pay approx €20 for 24 bottles.

• Advertisement

Plenty of cheaper establishments in Copenhagen you just need some local knowledge.

Bodegas are the place for a cheap pint and you can expect to pay €4-5 for a Carlsberg or Tuborg. You can also smoke in bodegas so their not to everyone's liking but they have a certain charm.

Another option is supermarkets and you can expect to pay approx €20 for 24 bottles.

If you do the supermarket thing, check the % on the bottles!

I reckon you should budget about 7-8 euro a pint. And don;t forget to do the Carlsberg tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Officer999

On a side note, how far is the airport from the city centre?

Officer999 wrote: »
    On a side note, how far is the airport from the city centre?

about a 15-minute train ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

i went to Copenhagen in June & only spent 190 EUR not including accommodation. it's an amazing city to walk about it's not a drinking destination as that is expensive but if you go on the free walking tour the guides only work for tips but also organise cheap pub crawls i ate out all the time though & had the most wonderful food. the cheaper boat tour is great you might need to wait for a bit longer for your boat but it's worth it. i had a great time & didn't get to do everything i wanted to not because of cost because there was just so much to do. i'd go back again to do those things - oh tivoli gardens get there before 8pm on the Friday night as the price goes up & there is a free gig discovered a great band cause of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Thinking of bringing the other half away for her 30th.

Anywhere a must see in Copenhagen?

I hear it's an expensive city?

How expensive?

And how many nights would you spend there?

2/3/4?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭snoopy29

Did you go yet?

I've been to Copenhagen 5 times now over the last 7 years and I absolutely love it. It is expensive to eat out so we normally rent an apartment from hay4u and have breakfast and dinner in the apartment and then have a nice lunch out. We normally go for the shopping though, particularly the homeware's as you just don't get Scandinavian design in Ireland. The apartment is great, as its normally a lot cheaper than a hotel, you get much more space and typically they are real Danish people's apartment's so you get a real feel for what it's like to live in Copenhagen, rather than just being a tourist.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭juansheet

A lot of boardsies will need this after Ryanair sale today:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

juansheet wrote: »
    A lot of boardsies will need this after Ryanair sale today:)

I missed out on the 30c flights but did get a return for €20 in May and going to stay in a hostel dorm for a night for around €25 and back the next day so a whirlwind trip really but for under €50 for flights and accommodation that's fine with me! Is there any must do's for a 24 hour trip? My flight arrives 3pm and leaves the next day at 3:30pm. I was thinking maybe a free walking tour and a visit to the Carlsberg brewery? Anything else I could reasonably do or a must see that I should try and fit in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Heading to Copenhagen soon, last time I was there was 22 years ago:eek:

I know the Scandic countries are expensive, none more than Oslo, so I know its going to be expensive, maybe on a par with Dublin

I found a cheap hotel Wake Up Copenhagen It looks tiny and I'm not small but it seems to do the job

Anyone stayed here and whats there to do in Copenhagen is the Carlsberg factory open to visitors? I will also do a day trip to Malmo depending on costs. Looking for eats, drinking, things to see that only a tourist and not google can tell me

Cheers

Yeah the factory is open to tourists, it's a good trip to do. I think you will get 1-2 free drinks at the end of the tour. I've also done the Malmo trip, its quite quick around 40mins on the train. I didn't think Malmo was as pretty as Copenhagen to walk around but worth a trip anyways. Also book the train asap and it increases in price the later you book it. There's a nice market Torvehallerne near Norreport station its nice and worth a visit. Don't bother with the little mermaid, complete rubbish. You can get 72hr train/metro/bus ticket which if your travelling around a bit is worth getting at around 200kr. A visit out to Roskilde is also worthwhile, think around 1hr on the train. Very pretty fjord village and a good Viking visitor centre where you can have a go trying to row an old Viking wooden boat - good craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

snoopy29 wrote: »
    Yeah the factory is open to tourists, it's a good trip to do. I think you will get 1-2 free drinks at the end of the tour. I've also done the Malmo trip, its quite quick around 40mins on the train. I didn't think Malmo was as pretty as Copenhagen to walk around but worth a trip anyways. Also book the train asap and it increases in price the later you book it. There's a nice market Torvehallerne near Norreport station its nice and worth a visit. Don't bother with the little mermaid, complete rubbish. You can get 72hr train/metro/bus ticket which if your travelling around a bit is worth getting at around 200kr. A visit out to Roskilde is also worthwhile, think around 1hr on the train. Very pretty fjord village and a good Viking visitor centre where you can have a go trying to row an old Viking wooden boat - good craic.

Cheers thanks for that will look at booking train and cost of it. I do remember last time seeing the Little Mermaid and thinking is that it :rolleyes: However others may want to see it

Will also have a look at Roskilde. Only there for 4 full days so hope to get as much in as I can

I got a tour boat to see the sights, thought it was a great way to see the city

Liked Rosenborg Castle or "Slot" thought it was good, liked it and it was pretty quick to see all the rooms.
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g189541-d197741-Reviews-Rosenborg_Castle-Copenhagen_Zealand.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I'm going to Copenhagen in two weeks and will have about 6 days in the city. I arrive on Friday and leave the following Saturday with a two day trip to Bergen in the middle of the week (one day for a fjord tour, one day for exploring the city).
    I'm taking on board what everyone has said about Copenhagen's food scene, but I don't drink, I'm traveling alone and I live in San Francisco, so I feel like it won't be too shocking.
    I'm not much of a nightlife person. I like to explore cities, see cultural attractions, find places with beautiful scenery. That said, it sounds like I might have some room to do one or two day trips. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm just back from a weekend there. Great city, I really enjoyed it. The weather was beautiful, blue skies and 25 degrees. Though it will be a bit hit and miss up until June apparently.

Day trip wise, you can take a 6 hour day trip to Malmo on a 15 person bus, same crowd who run the Hop On/Hop off buses run it.

Also, the ticket information kiosk inside the train station (on the right as you go in the right-most door) offer a special rate for getting both the Hop On/Hop off buses and entrance to Tivoli.

Fireworks in Tivoli start at 11:45pm, so if you got in there for 6/7pm you'd have plenty of time.

Next time I'm back I'm renting my own boat and doing a DIY picnic in the canal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

snoopy29 wrote: »
    Don't bother with the little mermaid, complete rubbish/QUOTE]

About as underwhelming as the Mona Lisa but try telling people to visit the Louvre but avoid the picture of yer wan:rolleyes:

Advertisement