Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Propogating Hydrangea

• 02-09-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Anyone have experience in growing hydrangea from cuttings? If so, what is the best time of year to take cuttings etc.? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated also!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

Maidhci wrote: »
    If so, what is the best time of year to take cuttings etc.?

Hydrangea is a very easy growing plant, you can just cut them now, put them in the soil, huge load of water and then wait for next summer ;) If you already have larger Hydrangeas in your garden you can also seperate parts of them with a spade without damaging and re-plant those parts somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Thanks Niall, will do that. I have a number of large hydrangea plants in the garden but prefer to go the rooting route, but I remember reading somewhere at some stage that better plants are achieved from either spring or autumn cuttings, but cannot remember which. Do you know if there is any substance to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Autumn cuttings. I usually take a small section of this years growth that hasn't flowered and put in water for a while. (You can use rooting powder if you prefer) After a while small roots will appear and they can then be potted up. Keep as sheltered as possible from winter frosts and most should survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Thanks lottpaul, will do that. That is what I do with fuchsia plants in early summer and it works well. Frost is not usually a big problem for me as I live on the coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Early in the growing season would be good, take soft cuttings, root hormone etc. Relatively easy and reliable plant to slip/grow from cuttings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement