Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need some newbie advise/opinion.

Options
  • 02-09-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi all,

I have hit that mid-life crisis stage (am 40) and in an effort to do something to "get me off my big fat a$$" I have looked into taking up mountain biking as a hobby - (think: fun, fit, outdoors, friends/social, adrenaline - not: race, sport, early grave).

I have done a few sessions @ b/stoe now and LOVED it - rented bikes from biking.ie (hardtail & full-sus) - but am now looking to take it to the next level and splash out on a decent personal bike.

with a bit of "asset liquidation" I will be looking at circa €2500 to spend (incl €1000 from b2w, so needs to be a new bike from an Irish retailer - so that strikes out Canyon unf).

the big dilemma is what to get? - for that type of money i can get a 140mm shop-solied, 26", 2012 full-sus trail bike from Giant/Cube/Lapierre/etc with SLX comp - which all seems fine and dandy - and around 13kg in weight. However I am also thinking that for that money I can get a stonking new, 2014 full-carbon hardtail with 27.5", XT comp and all the mod cons - circa 10kg.

so the question: all being equal (and assuming you are NOT the fittest person in the world and going UP really takes it out of you!) - would you push for a lesser full-sus as an "all-rounder" or go for a "nearer to the top of the range" carbon hardtail w/27.5"?

looking to do more b/stoe, ticknock, and general off-road trails for recreation.

thoughts appreciated!
    Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Grumpy Cyclist

As someone who has passed through the Mid Life Crisis, I initially bought a hardtail and did my learning on that. It also didn't require a lot of maintenance.
    I subsequently bought a carbon full suss, when I eventually knew what type of biking I wanted to do.
    I would say buy a mid range bike and keep some of your powder dry as you WILL want to change/upgrade your bike sooner than you think. Also your fitness will improve, so going uphill won't be the chore it once was.
    What ever you do, enjoy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Drawfirst

How's the fitness? If I had bought a serious trail bike to start I think I'd have really missed the granny ring until the fitness improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 webcalm

thanks Drawfirst - NO WAY i am going near anything with less than a triple crankset - all bikes I'm looking at (h/t & full-sus) have circa 24/32/42. so they are not "that" pro. Ta. A.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Just an FYI... There's nothing in the B2W scheme that says it has to be an Irish retailer. Plenty are buying from Canyon and Chain Reaction.

The only wrinkle is if your employer is lazy and uses an outside provider to manage the process for them. They only allow you to buy from a short list of retailers, and hit the shop with a large handling fee, which kills any chances you have to negotiate a discount or get them to throw in a free helmet/lights/pedals. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 webcalm

i have a lazy employer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

That's too bad. Still, now is the time to buy. Retailers are looking to offload the 2013 stock before the market grinds to a halt over the winter period.

Advertisement