Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the US

Options
  • 02-09-2013 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭

Good morning folks
    Myself and the missus are serioulsy thinking of moving to the US but just wondering where do you start ?
    Is there any good websites that can help. Just really dont know where to beging if you get me,
    Obvioulsy we need to look into the requirments for obtaining working visa's and so on ,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Well, first you need a legal way to get there. The three main avenues are:
    - Diversity Lottery Visa (aka greencard lottery).
    - Having close family who can sponsor you (parents, children, siblings)
    - A work visa. Work visas fall into two main categories: a) You work for a multi-national in Ireland, such as Google or HP, and after a few years, they may transfer you and b) a US employer sponsors you because you have rare skills they need; this later type of visa usually involves having a Masters or extensive experience in a sought after field. In short- you cannot jsut get a friend with a small office or restaurant to sponsor you.

Which of these do you think you'll go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Thanks for the info, :)
    God winning the visa lottery wouldn't be half bad ,
    I dont think my work skill will be rare enough,aklthoug i o kknow a guy who got sponsored to work as barman ands is currently doing this in the US so maybe your work skills don't need to be so rare ?

I think moving to Canada is looking more likely by the day as it seems easier to acheive ,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

aklthoug i o kknow a guy who got sponsored to work as barman ands is currently doing this in the US so maybe your work skills don't need to be so rare ?

Seeing as it costs over $5000 to sponsor someone and the federal minimum hourly wage for tipped employees is $2.13 an hour I reckon that it more done to who he knew rather than some easy, more common way of getting to the US legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

There are places such as RiRa Irish pubs (see separate thread) that do employ Irish. However, those are short term work visas and usually aimed at students or other young people- ie not those with families to bring over and support.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

silja wrote: »
    There are places such as RiRa Irish pubs (see separate thread) that do employ Irish. However, those are short term work visas and usually aimed at students or other young people- ie not those with families to bring over and support.
    Just to add them pubs may not be in the area you would like to move to like new york for exsample

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭TheBrewMeister

Why would anyone want to move to the US. Many of us are trying to get out!

Advertisement