Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter is coming--bike with regular stays for proper mudguards?

Options
  • 02-09-2013 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

My current bikes both have wonkey stays and will not take proper mudguards. Crud mudguards sort of do the job but are fiddley and when its horrible out I've had them break with the smallest bit of autumn debris, and the rubbing drives me mad if they fall out of alignment or you want to throw the bike on the turbo trainer.

My winter/commuting bike is due to be replaced--its on its last legs--so I'm keeping an eye on the current sales. My number 1 requirement for a cheap bike this time is that it can take solid mudguards. Anyone got any tips on what to look for, I'm sort of assuming just regular straight seat stays will set it up for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

Ribble's alu winter trainer would be worth a look. Nothing flashy but it's reliable, will take full mudguards and a rack, and not too hard on the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Was in my local bike shop recently (and a couple of others) and every single entry level aluminium road bike had at least 30% off. Giant defy with 105 was a good deal I thought. Was chatting to the guys and pretty much every shop said that they are usually the slightly higher spec entry level bikes, such as 105 for example. Most people come in and buy the basic model, which there is nothing wrong with, but I guess it's slightly harder to sell that extra couple of hundred for a groupset to someone buying their first bike. Either way, so serious deals going on the bike name entry level bikes..... Giant, Trek, Specialized, Cube etc etc

Advertisement