Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking a phone from Ebay

Options
  • 02-09-2013 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I got a good deal on a HTC phone from Vodafone, wanted to get it unlocked to use with Meteor pay as you go. I put in a Meteor sim just to check, and no surprise, it was locked to Vodafone.

So I found a guy on Ebay charging a fiver to unlock any phone, I sent him the phone model, the IMEI code and the network it was locked to. A couple of hours later he sends me back instructions to enter an unlock code, and the code itself. I put the meteor sim back in the phone and turn it on, and without entering the unlock code or doing anything that this guy instructed me to, the Meteor sim worked fine.

I'm confused, he hardly could have unlocked the phone remotely, could he? Was there any danger in giving him the IMEI code?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

Most HTC phones on voda and meteor work on both networks without needing to be unlocked. The 3 and o2 phones are locked.

Joaquin223 wrote: »
    I got a good deal on a HTC phone from Vodafone, wanted to get it unlocked to use with Meteor pay as you go. I put in a Meteor sim just to check, and no surprise, it was locked to Vodafone.

So I found a guy on Ebay charging a fiver to unlock any phone, I sent him the phone model, the IMEI code and the network it was locked to. A couple of hours later he sends me back instructions to enter an unlock code, and the code itself. I put the meteor sim back in the phone and turn it on, and without entering the unlock code or doing anything that this guy instructed me to, the Meteor sim worked fine.

I'm confused, he hardly could have unlocked the phone remotely, could he? Was there any danger in giving him the IMEI code?

Advertisement