Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hungry Baby?

Options
  • 02-09-2013 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭

We have a beautiful 3 week old (8lb12 when born) baby who eats a lot.

At the moment she's on 7 4oz Aptamil 1 bottles a day, every 3 hours roughly. Barely get her to 3 to be honest. She's a terror for going mad when we wind her every ounce or so, you'd swear she was never going to get fed again.

After the night feeds she is very restless and takes about an hour to feed, hour to settle and then an hour later she's looking for another bottle.

Tried her on a couple of 5oz today and she just spits the extra up as she is too full.

Thinking of moving to Aptamil 2, GP is very against changing feeds but I think he's just playing it ultrasafe. Can't get through to the PHN nurse for the last 3 days. Any advice here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

She sounds exactly like a standard three week old. In any case, sounds exactly how my son was for first several weeks.

You should notice a change somewhere between 8 weeks and maybe 12 weeks, ie; can go a little longer without a feed, will drink more at feeds, sleep a little longer at night.

Just feed her as often as she wants, her tummy is probably only the size of an apricot at the moment.

I wouldn't change feeds at all, their tummies are so sensitive for the first several months, you may just create worse problems. Go with what your doc is saying on this one.

Congratulations and I know this time period seems like it has and will go on forever, it won't, it'll get a little easier in a few weeks, hang in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

I guess that's what we'd worry about that we'd upset her changing.

I know they're only guidelines but on the aptamil box it's saying 5 bottles per day, not 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

If she takes seven then go with seven. We moved our fella on to the hungry baby Aptimal. Bad mistake. He ended up constipated. And I spoke to other parents who had similar issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Yes I've also heard the hungry milk can make a baby very constipated. When our fella was a few months old we started giving him an 8oz bottle of the hungry milk at night and kept to the normal aptimal 1 during the day. It really worked for us. The hungry milk really satisfied him at night and he was never constipated coz was only ever getting one bottle of it. I was scared to give him more than one bottle coz of the constipation. I'd say 3 weeks is too young to give hungry milk tho. I think the guidelines say wait for a couple months if my memory serves me right.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

At that age we were on 8 + feeds a day,don't worry in a few weeks you will know if you need to change to hungry baby formula.
    I had 2 starving babies and they both needed it from about 6 weeks,I could not feed them enough myself and top ups helped but they were still hungry so eventually we had to switch.
    It was a complete saviour for us and there were no side effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

my little boy was 8lb 11oz when born.
    I chose the aptamil formula too in the hospital, he was exactly like you describe your little man hungry!!!! My phn said that aptamil wasnt a strong enough formula for a baby of his size and recommened I move him to Cow & Gate formula, he was about 3 weeks at the time too, we had no problems with constipation even after moving him onto the hungrier baby formula by C & G at 3 months!!!! All recommendations by phn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

My understanding is that hungry baby formula is for babies who aren't being filled by regular 8oz bottles. For a 3 week old, I really wouldn't consider it.

Does she drain the bottles at every feed? The rule of thumb I went by was to try and have half an oz to an oz left in the bottle every time. That way, I'd know when I needed to up the feeds because she'd start taking the extra.

Ya I might see how we get on with the 5oz for a week, she doesn't drain every one of them (it's only been 2 days) and she doesn't throw up due to the volume thank god.

Interesting to hear aptamil wasn't strong enough, didn't hear that before.

PHN is a disaster to get a hold of where we are unfortunately.

She is still unsettled after some feeds (more so at night) but I think that might be gas? lifts her legs up, grunting noises etc.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Ya I might see how we get on with the 5oz for a week, she doesn't drain every one of them (it's only been 2 days) and she doesn't throw up due to the volume thank god.

Interesting to hear aptamil wasn't strong enough, didn't hear that before.

yea a lot of people say aptamil is the formula that is most similar to breastmilk. Apparently it is the lightest. I initially tried my fella (who was an extremely hungry breast feed baby) on SMA and he didn't tolerate it (got sick) when we had to give him top ups. But he took the aptamil no bother.

Other people will say all formulas are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Aptamil is not the "closest to breast milk". That's a myth based on an old, now illegal, marketing campaign. Aptamil and C&G are pretty much identical. Just check the ingredients and nutritional information.

At three weeks old, babies are going through a growth spurt. They feed often because if they were breastfeeding this is the stage when they need to ramp up their mothers' milk production. They'll settle in a few days once the growth spurt is done. Just go with it in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭moochers

Hey there OP,
    I remember when my baby had issues feeding I just rang the maternity ward of the hospital he was born in and spoke to one of the nurses there. Why don't you try this if you are worried. Good luck and congrats on new baby and as above posts said the first few weeks are definitely trying.

Pardon me, I didn't articulate myself very well there. What I meant by closest... I actually meant closest consistency. I.e. that it is quite a light formula.
    aniascor wrote: »
    Aptamil is not the "closest to breast milk". That's a myth based on an old, now illegal, marketing campaign. Aptamil and C&G are pretty much identical.

That's fair enough. It's just something that was relayed to me by 2 different PHNs about 7 months ago.

Thanks moochers, I might do that, great to get the advice here though, herself is worried she's eating too much but I guess a weigh in is the only thing that will tell that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Thanks moochers, I might do that, great to get the advice here though, herself is worried she's eating too much but I guess a weigh in is the only thing that will tell that.

As aniascor above said, most likely growth spurt, there will be many more. My son used to suddenly want to be fed every 2hrs for a couple days, even up to 5mths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I haven't read all the replies but babies go through a growth spurt at 3 weeks, which could be contributing.
    Feeding her when she's hungry rather than making her wait would also help her settle more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My little one was 9lb 6 when she was born. Had the same problem of her not being filled by 4ozbottles. Rang the hospital and they said to use the hungry baby feed and not to give her more than the 4oz cause her tummy was too small. A few hours later the PHN arrived, saw the hungry formula and gave me a lecture on not using it and told me to just give the baby more than 4oz. Go figure!
    This was when the baby was a week old.

Anyway I decided to stick with the hospitals advice and she was like a different child on the hungry baby food, never really had an issue with constipation either.

Maybe try ring the hospital to see what they say, and trust your own instincts too.

Ya not sure about my instincts, first baby and all, moved up to 5 for the last couple of days and still seems unsettled after the feeds, gave her 5oz yesterday about 5pm and she was looking for more at about half 6, gave her water then which tied her over until 8.

Someone else was saying to me that she might have a bit of wind that won't come up after her feed which would keep her unsettled?

It could well be wind so. Do you wind her often during the bottle? If she's hard to wind you could try Infacol, I used that on both mine (for trapped wind) and it definitely helped with the burping. Lying them down for a minute or two on the couch or wherever and then pick them up and try winding works great too.

All trial and error!
    We eventually had to move my first little one to SMA formula and that seemed to agree with her more. I can't even remember how we decided to change formula brands but it did definitely help.

Ya wind her nearly every oz, change her nappy too to get her horizontal for a while and then back up to finish the bottle. She does get frustrated when we break for winding and sometimes goes nuts which might mean she's taking in more air.

Might try the infacol to see if it makes any difference.

New to this we're both a bit impatient trying to fix problems etc. she's definitely teaching us patience even if she has none!

Ya not sure about my instincts, first baby and all, moved up to 5 for the last couple of days and still seems unsettled after the feeds, gave her 5oz yesterday about 5pm and she was looking for more at about half 6, gave her water then which tied her over until 8.

Someone else was saying to me that she might have a bit of wind that won't come up after her feed which would keep her unsettled?

She is obviously hungry, i wouldn't substitute a feed with water, any luck with PHN ? Does baby take a soother, could like the sucking motion that feeding is providing. Formula change is required I would say.

• Advertisement

Going to the doc tonight to check her weight and see what he says but I'm guessing he'll just say keep going the way we're going, it'll get easier etc. etc.

She takes a soother all right but she knows now it's not food so has no interest when she's hungry.

So I'll try the infacol see if that makes a difference and if nothing I'll think about changing her food. Should we go aptamil 2 or change brands?

If we go 2 will I need to change the teat from a 1 to the next size up?

I think its trial and error really. Hard to know whether to change brands or go for hungry baby food. I think if you try Infacol and figure out that it's definitely not wind and is definitely hunger I'd try the same brand you're on with the hungry baby version. "They" say once you change you should stick with it for at least a week so unless it makes things worse you could try that for a week and see if it helps before thinking about changing to another brand.

Yup that sounds like a plan so.

Try the infacol over the next couple of days

No improvement in settling / hunger try the hungry for a week

No improvement try SMA the week after.

Might just explain that to the doctor and see what he says.

Going to the doc tonight to check her weight and see what he says but I'm guessing he'll just say keep going the way we're going, it'll get easier etc. etc.

She takes a soother all right but she knows now it's not food so has no interest when she's hungry.

So I'll try the infacol see if that makes a difference and if nothing I'll think about changing her food. Should we go aptamil 2 or change brands?

No need to change teat size, i changed to size 2 when baby was much older and swallow was more developed, cant remember what age despite my son only being one now, so much happens in the first year, good luck with it, i hope she settles soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Pardon me, I didn't articulate myself very well there. What I meant by closest... I actually meant closest consistency. I.e. that it is quite a light formula.

That's fair enough. It's just something that was relayed to me by 2 different PHNs about 7 months ago.
    Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I was jumping down your throat. I'm annoyed by the pervasiveness of the slogan not by the fact that you were saying it. (And I used Aptamil with my son - I just hate false or misleading advertising).

I think its only the 'comfort' formulas that need to use the faster teats - they're thicker so harder for the baby to suck out, but I don't think you need to move teats with the hungry baby one.

Hi Guys,

So have herself on infacol for the past two days and she did seem a bit better last night to settle, maybe a coincidence.

We have found however that she is harder to wind now that she is on it for some reason, even her Granny noticed.

She also seems to have spit up a lot over the past couple of days, again maybe a coincidence but could it be the infacol?

Anyone with similar experiences?

// Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭LoopyLolly88

My little fella is 3 weeks monday & i changed him onto hungry baby milk last week,he's had no problems changing over & is alot more settled & happy since we changed him. My other 2 children never had any problems changing over milks either.

Can be so hard to know with these things whether its a coincidence or not.

How much Infacol are you giving her? I know the packet says one or two full syringes but if I give my baby 2 then he's way harder to wind (I was always thinking that more Infacol would make it easier!).

Might be worth sticking with it for a few days just to see. She might just need to get used to it. After that if there's no improvement it's probably not worth giving it to her if you're just swapping one problem for another!

Funny how these things work, I was changing my little man to comfort formula. Had it bought and everything but out if habit gave him the old formula instead of trying the new one. Then he vommited up that full bottle. I would definitely had taken him off the formula if it was the new one but was just totally a coincidence.

• Advertisement

So moved her onto the hungry formula the last two days.

Haven't really noticed a massive reduction yet, she only takes 3 oz of one or two of her bottles a day though which might be something?

Back giving her the infacol too as I think it was a coincidence with the spitting up, one squirt per feed.

First day was a bit tough on the new feed but I think that was more coincidental because she was ok yest.

No constipation as of yet anyway thank god.

How are people making up their bottles too. I'm going by the book, leaving boiled water for half an hour and then adding the powder, into the fridge and then take out and heat up as we need.

Friends with 5/6 year olds are telling me they just added the powder to the room temp water as they needed the bottles.

Advertisement