Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hungry Baby?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Friends with 5/6 year olds are telling me they just added the powder to the room temp water as they needed the bottles.

This is what I do. I don't think its 'recommended' as the way to do it now, but I did it with my first and now 4 months in with my second and never had any problems with it. Find it very handy. I just fill the bottles with the water after it's boiled, and leave them on the counter until it's bottle time. Then add the formula and give the baby the bottle at room temperature. Very handy if you're out and about, or during the night because the baby is used to the bottle not being heated. The max I'd leave the water without using it is 24 hours, but normally I'd make them up and use within around 12 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

So moved her onto the hungry formula the last two days.

Haven't really noticed a massive reduction yet, she only takes 3 oz of one or two of her bottles a day though which might be something?

Back giving her the infacol too as I think it was a coincidence with the spitting up, one squirt per feed.

First day was a bit tough on the new feed but I think that was more coincidental because she was ok yest.

No constipation as of yet anyway thank god.

How are people making up their bottles too. I'm going by the book, leaving boiled water for half an hour and then adding the powder, into the fridge and then take out and heat up as we need.

Friends with 5/6 year olds are telling me they just added the powder to the room temp water as they needed the bottles.

Hi, we make all our bottles up the night before. We boil the kettle amd leave for 30min. I think leaving the water for 30min let's it cool to around 70degrees which is an adequate temp too kill the bacteria that may be present in the milk powder which is not sterile. After the 30 min we make up however many bottles we need and then pop them at the back of the fridge ready for the next day. The bottles last 24 hours after which they need to be thrown out. Our fella is 9 months now.

I'd say you will get soooo much conflicting information on making up bottles. Best way is obviously to boil the kettle every time you need one but this is soooo impractical which I learnt very quickly after I stopped breast feeding. I did try making the bottles up at room temp as the previous poster amd this worked for us for a week or 2. But when I researched the reason why the water needing to be hot is to kill any bacteria that may be present I've been doing it the other way since.

I think the information on the correct way to make up your bottles is changing all time. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hi, we make all our bottles up the night before. We boil the kettle amd leave for 30min. I think leaving the water for 30min let's it cool to around 70degrees which is an adequate temp too kill the bacteria that may be present in the milk powder which is not sterile. After the 30 min we make up however many bottles we need and then pop them at the back of the fridge ready for the next day. The bottles last 24 hours after which they need to be thrown out. Our fella is 9 months now.

I'd say you will get soooo much conflicting information on making up bottles. Best way is obviously to boil the kettle every time you need one but this is soooo impractical which I learnt very quickly after I stopped breast feeding. I did try making the bottles up at room temp as the previous poster amd this worked for us for a week or 2. But when I researched the reason why the water needing to be hot is to kill any bacteria that may be present I've been doing it the other way since.

I think the information on the correct way to make up your bottles is changing all time. :-)

I use same method as above since day 1, he is now one year old and am still using same method.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Yup, same as myself dont know how the powder couldn't be feicin sterile. You'd think that would be priority. It's also recommended that you cool them in a pan of water / run under a cool top or something before they go into the fridge. Seems strange to me.

So the hungry formula doesn't seem to have satisfied her much more than standard, she's flooring a 6oz at this stage now.

She does wake an hour after her feed, and sounds like the food comes back into her mouth and she swallows it back, she also gets hiccup about the same time.

Tried her on the gripe water to see if she was windy and it didn't bring up much of anything so we're thinking she might have a touch of reflux?

Instead of moving back to the regular feed we're thinking maybe the comfort would help her with that.

// Gary

I found Gripe Water useless - never did anything for either of my two. My little fella had a bit of silent reflux. It wasn't bad enough for medication though , doctor reckoned because he wasn't too upset with it we should just see how it went and it was manageable so we didn't want to medicate. Like you said we could see that something would come up into his mouth and he'd make a bit of a sour face, and also get hiccups a lot.
    The doc reckoned most children do get some level of reflux but some just get it a lot worse than others.

We did switch to the comfort formula and it did seem to help somewhat. One thing is if you do switch to comfort formula that's thicker than the normal formula so you will need the faster teats for that. My fella is 3.5 months and we're on the 6 month teats. We stuck to the comfort formula because it did seem to help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yup, same as myself dont know how the powder couldn't be feicin sterile.

It's not required to be sterile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Garycocs, your baby sounds exactly like mine. My baby is on 6-8 bottles of 180mls of SMA a day. Sometimes she'll guzzle down the whole bottle and will still be hungry. Other times she'll only take half. She takes the hour to feed, an hour to settle n then might sleep or mooch about for 30-90 mins n is then hungry again. My baby also is very hard to wind, we tried infacol n it made it worse. We took her off n now she's getting it up no bother. Sometimes shr cries when she's taking her bottle n you think it's wind, so you try burp her but she cries more so you give her the soother but then she makes her hungry noise so you give her the bottle again n she starts crying. . It's a circle of trial and error! It's very confusing sometimes. One thing is I said it to the phn n shr said don't mind the regulations about how muvh a baby sjould have, if the baby is hungry, feed her. I know how tiring it is coz it definitely feels like all I'm doing is feeding her, so I hope it will settle down soon. My baby is seven weeks old on Monday :O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Guys,

Any tips for feeding herself when she's sleepy? She wakes, goes nuts for a bottle, 2oz later she's sound and 30 mins later then she wakes looking for the rest.

So far we've tried baby wipes, nappy change, blowing on her face and the cruel cruel baby wipe.

Thanks,
    Gary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Hi Guys,

Any tips for feeding herself when she's sleepy? She wakes, goes nuts for a bottle, 2oz later she's sound and 30 mins later then she wakes looking for the rest.

So far we've tried baby wipes, nappy change, blowing on her face and the cruel cruel baby wipe.

Thanks,
    Gary

Strip her down to her vest before feeding so she's not that warm and rub her ears or feet when she drops off (not super hard but not gently either). That worked for us. Our boy grew out of it pretty quick though, he was only sleepy enough to need us to do that for the first few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Strip her down to her vest before feeding so she's not that warm and rub her ears or feet when she drops off (not super hard but not gently either). That worked for us. Our boy grew out of it pretty quick though, he was only sleepy enough to need us to do that for the first few weeks.

+1 on this. Also, when you're changing her, leave her nappy off for a few minutes so she gets some air at her bum.

Edit: just to ask, how long does it take her to take the 2oz at the start? The bottles last for an hour so if she doesn't take that long drinking the 2oz, I'd say let her sleep for 20-30 mins n then give her the rest. My lo is like that. She'll yake about half her bottle, fall asleep, so I've started to just let her lie for a few mins to let the milk settle and help the wind to move (doc said to put her on her back for a few mins before winding her) n then burp her and change her nappy. It could be 15-20 mins before she's at the bottle again.

• Advertisement

We had the same problems here, seems like years ago already and he's not even 4 months yet :)

We did the same tricks, can't think of any extras. If it's her evening feed you could try dream feeding her, anticipating when she needs the feed and then do the full feed while she's asleep. Worked great for us, had bottle gone in no time and no winding after!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭paulc1000

My lil one was same with the spitting up and u could here the milk coming back up her throat kinda like when we get heartburn so we put her on infant gaviscon after trying the infacol and dentinox and the difference was amazing. She was much more settled. Docs don't really get the silent reflux thing and I know mine wouldn't prescribe anything.

Advertisement