Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm for Ground Floor Apartment

Options
  • 02-09-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've read the comparisons for the alarm system i the stickies but just looking for your input to which you feel would best suit...?

I have a ground floor apartment pre-wired so only a panel required.

I don't require any sensors internally (basically just want the windows and doors alarmed).

Would like an alarm that SMS when the alarm is activated and possibly comes with a keyfob to disable?

Any opinions for a complete noob with no idea...?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd recommend Siemens SPC . It gives the option of using the wired & adding wireless if required.
    I would always fit a minimum of one internal sensor PiR anyway. Its good to have a second line of defence & something to verify any alarm activations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Why a keyfob? A keypad is a lot safer as a keyfob can be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

kub wrote: »

Just handy - the parents use one on their house (Eircom Phonewatch)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

kub wrote: »

A keyfob would be in addition to the keypad, not instead.
    Keyfobs can be easily removed if lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

I'd recommend the HKC secure wave or as KK said the Siemens .
    I'm assuming there's no wire for a motion sensor in the apt ?
    You could use the HKC quantum kit €380-€390 you can have wired and wireless gear. (10 wired point id sensors)
    A wireless outside bell.
    You get two wireless PIRs .
    A panel with a built in digi for SMS or voice calls .
    2 wireless door window sensors .
    A Keyfob with secure disarming ( you enter your code on the fob ) .
    You could then use point ID wired sensors €19-€20 each to cover the other windows /doors .

This would work out cheaper then buying the gear (HKC secure wave and Siemens ) seperately .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Thanks for that - much appreciated!

There are no motion sensors wired internally in the apartment.

Where would one purchase this equipment in Leinster region?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

wescos electrical stocks HKC gear

HKC is sold pretty much everywhere.
    Siemens is available in
    REW
    RWL
    Northwood and Reliable
    See the sticky for contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Evolution1 wrote: »
    I'd recommend the HKC secure wave or as KK said the Siemens .
    I'm assuming there's no wire for a motion sensor in the apt ?
    You could use the HKC quantum kit €380-€390 you can have wired and wireless gear. (10 wired point id sensors)
    A wireless outside bell.
    You get two wireless PIRs .
    A panel with a built in digi for SMS or voice calls .
    2 wireless door window sensors .
    A Keyfob with secure disarming ( you enter your code on the fob ) .
    You could then use point ID wired sensors €19-€20 each to cover the other windows /doors .

This would work out cheaper then buying the gear (HKC secure wave and Siemens ) seperately .

I like your thinking but the 10/70 would be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 drunkenbarney

Hi Macers

you don't say if you have a eircom landline. if you do a hkc 1070 would be your best option as it gives you a wireless option down the road. If you don't have landline, get the hkc 1070 or the UTC ats 1000 with a gsm module, you will get texts and be able to send sms messages to arm/disarm the system. the hkc is a more popular brand but the UTC is higher quality. cant vouch for the siemens I'm afraid but you won't go wrong as long as it is installed by a PSA licensed company. always a good idea to have at least one PIR as back up

• Advertisement
Advertisement