Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing birth mother

• 02-09-2013 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

So i went down last wednesday to the GRO office to obtain my birth cert.
    As i was told my original name it was much easier for me and have now tracked my birth cert.

But my question is that i dont recognise the hospital that is registered on it!

It looks like matraigh maternity hospital? I was born in 1982. Dont think it will help that much but its more out of curiousity where it is!

If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭rinsjwind

Hi Dixie

The County of birth and registration district will also be somewhere on the cert which will narrow down the possibilities.

Might it be the national maternity hospital in Holles St in Dublin?? If so then it should be registration district Dublin SC4 or SC6 (was born there meself but haven't my got cert to hand).

If that's not it, bring it back in to the guys in the research room, they are very nice and they have a lot of experience deciphering the often appalling handwriting of past registration officials ; - ).

good luck

Rins
    ps I hear the Junta (sorry, government) are moving the gro in the next few weeks from their current pleasant and spacious office in the handy (and reasonably safe to get to) Irish Life Centre to the perfectly situated and delightfully appointed former dole office over in Werburgh St !!

Which, apart from the inconvenience for the folks on here, is going to be just lovely for all those tourists we invited over to get in touch with their roots, the numerous local lowlifes (yes, worse than Talbot Street) are going to have a field day!
    I despair : -(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

rinsjwind wrote: »
    Hi Dixie

The County of birth and registration district will also be somewhere on the cert which will narrow down the possibilities.

Might it be the national maternity hospital in Holles St in Dublin?? If so then it should be registration district Dublin SC4 or SC6 (was born there meself but haven't my got cert to hand).

If that's not it, bring it back in to the guys in the research room, they are very nice and they have a lot of experience deciphering the often appalling handwriting of past registration officials ; - ).

good luck

Rins
    ps I hear the Junta (sorry, government) are moving the gro in the next few weeks from their current pleasant and spacious office in the handy (and reasonably safe to get to) Irish Life Centre to the perfectly situated and delightfully appointed former dole office over in Werburgh St !!

Which, apart from the inconvenience for the folks on here, is going to be just lovely for all those tourists we invited over to get in touch with their roots, the numerous local lowlifes (yes, worse than Talbot Street) are going to have a field day!
    I despair : -(

What a year to do it with the 'Gathering' .... I thought we would want to encourage tourists who may also be doing their family history to actually visit us again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

justagirl wrote: »
    What a year to do it with the 'Gathering' .... I thought we would want to encourage tourists who may also be doing their family history to actually visit us again !

Lets hope they don't "lose " any files in the move ......

Advertisement