Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a bicycle

Options
  • 02-09-2013 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me roughly how long it takes to be fitted on a new bicycle and what the standard procedures are when it is carried out. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

About 4 minutes? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

07Lapierre wrote: »
    About 4 minutes? :D

Maybe I should have been a bit more specific lol. I am picking up a new bike tomorrow. I am going to be fitted for it etc. and as I am nipping up on my lunch break from work I am wondering will I need more than an hour? Thanks for the video though. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Pm1e wrote: »
    Maybe I should have been a bit more specific lol. I am picking up a new bike tomorrow. I am going to be fitted for it etc. and as I am nipping up on my lunch break from work I am wondering will I need more than an hour? Thanks for the video though. :cool:

If you have a bike already try this:

Measure

BB to Centre of the Saddle
    Centre of the saddle to the centre of the H/bars
    Centre of the H/bars to the Front wheel axle.

Give these measurements to the bike shop and it should be pretty close to your Old bike and will speed up the fitting process.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    If you have a bike already try this:

Measure

BB to Centre of the Saddle
    Centre of the saddle to the centre of the H/bars
    Centre of the H/bars to the Front wheel axle.

Give these measurements to the bike shop and it should be pretty close to your Old bike and will speed up the fitting process.

Great thanks for that tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

I had a niggling knee pain earlier in the year and decided to bite the bullet and went to Aidan Hammond... bikefittingireland.com. Process took about 45 mins to an hour. He took various measurements, shoulder width, inside leg, etc. he also visually evaluated my posture, measured flexibility and foot position standing.

On the bike as it was when I brought it to him, he put it on a turbo trainer and video'd my position from both sides, front, and back, uploading to a PC. With those measurements he adjusted saddle height, position of saddle, handlebar position (I also bought a shorter stem), and adjusted my shoes (cleat position).

After all the adjustments he did the video again and was able to show me the comparison with before and after. I did notice the difference on the next 100km ride I did and since then I have not had the problem with my knee, he did identify I was dropping my hip on one side and I think the bikefit straightened that out. I think the cost was €80 and I felt it was a worthwhile investment.

• Advertisement

DaithiMC wrote: »
    I had a niggling knee pain earlier in the year and decided to bite the bullet and went to Aidan Hammond... bikefittingireland.com. Process took about 45 mins to an hour. He took various measurements, shoulder width, inside leg, etc. he also visually evaluated my posture, measured flexibility and foot position standing.

On the bike as it was when I brought it to him, he put it on a turbo trainer and video'd my position from both sides, front, and back, uploading to a PC. With those measurements he adjusted saddle height, position of saddle, handlebar position (I also bought a shorter stem), and adjusted my shoes (cleat position).

After all the adjustments he did the video again and was able to show me the comparison with before and after. I did notice the difference on the next 100km ride I did and since then I have not had the problem with my knee, he did identify I was dropping my hip on one side and I think the bikefit straightened that out. I think the cost was €80 and I felt it was a worthwhile investment.

Excellent info cheers for this chap.

Advertisement