Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

robinph wrote: »
    Fishguard or Pembroke really makes no difference. If it was either of those compared to Holyhead then there is some things to sway one way or the other.

Flip a coin.

Cheers for the advice. Think the flipping of a coin might be the best option.
    I found last year the ferries were better value nearer the time, I booked mine just after the final payment in Feb but could have saved €75 by leaving it until May....mind you I did get a free upgrade both ways from Stena Line, after I sent an email complaining about early bookers being penalised because of the May Sales - they never replied, but had the express lane tags and lounge codes handed to me when I checked in on both legs of the journey!

If you get the chance for an earlier sailing and arrive in the car parks on the Tuesday Night go for it, I find it adds to the whole experience and the atmosphere is great in the car parks/queues early on Wed morning.

Personally I prefer the Holyhead route as I find it easier to limp back via the services on the UK motorways on the Monday and be only 45 mins from Mullingar on the Tuesday morning, rather than driving from Rosslare!

Thanks for the advice, will take it all on board.
    2ndcoming wrote: »
    From my one and only Glasto experience the ferry over on Tuesday is fine, but get yourself on a flight home from Bristol if at all possible.

Being stuck on a train for the guts of the Monday before being stuck in either of those kippy port towns waiting for a ferry is hell on earth when you're more than likely gonna be in a fairly delicate place as it is coming off the back of 5 days of Glasto.

Edit: Hadn't thought, you're probably driving. I'm speaking from a foot passenger point of view.

Yep, we'll be taking a campervan over so flying isn't an option for us.

As an additional question guys, how long will be needed for the return journey from the site to Pembroke/Fishguard? What time would be ideally need to leave the site if we wanted to make a 2.30 or 2.45 sailing on the Monday afternoon?

According to NME, Emily Eavis has confirmed that Prince will not be playing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

According to NME, Emily Eavis has confirmed that Prince will not be playing this year.

Ah that's disappointing. Was really hoping the Funky Purple One would be making an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

"He's someone that will be amazing one day, he's somebody that we haven't had, and we would love to have him at Glastonbury. But no, no we haven't (booked him)."

Not a definite no then. A few people in my party will be holding on to that flicker of hope 'til the bitter end.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Cheers for the advice. Think the flipping of a coin might be the best option.

Thanks for the advice, will take it all on board.

Yep, we'll be taking a campervan over so flying isn't an option for us.

As an additional question guys, how long will be needed for the return journey from the site to Pembroke/Fishguard? What time would be ideally need to leave the site if we wanted to make a 2.30 or 2.45 sailing on the Monday afternoon?

We left the camper field at 6pm on the Monday evening to get the 2.45am (tue) ferry out of Fishguard we stopped for an hour for a bite to eat and a nap at one of the services along the way, we arrived at the ferry at about 1am, so it took us about 6hours, we took our time to be fair as we were both fairly F*%KED after the week.

it would be my advice to get the Tuesday 3am-ish ferry so the driver doesnt have to cut his Sunday night short for the fear of bein over the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Ah that's disappointing. Was really hoping the Funky Purple One would be making an appearance.

Lost respect for him at Malahide where you had to stand miles away from the stage unless you coughed up an extra €20(IIRC) to enter the priveleged zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

The lineup is shaping up nicely. Quite a few TBC's on the eFestivals site.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/2014/lineup.shtml

I have a problem that I am looking for help with.

Myself and my brother are taking a campervan to glasto, but in stupidly we went and got 2 bus combo tickets in the pre sale, both thinking that the other would book a normal ticket so they could drive.

I have heard from the glasto office and they said that when we pay our balance we will not be offered the chance to buy a campervan ticket because we're supposed to be in a bus and not driving.
    They suggested that we get someone that we know is going to the festivalt o buy the camper ticket for us when they are paying their balance.

In return we would offer the person helping us a lift to and from glastonbury, this would be cheaper than someone making their own way to the festival which is the benefit.

If anyone is interested in helping out a fellow glasto goer please do get in touch balances are due next week so under a little pressure at this stage.

Please and thanks
    Dom

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

How are you going to give them a lift? If you both have bus/ticket combos I'm pretty sure you have to take the bus to the festival to get the ticket?

Opr

we will travel to bristol in camper drop one of us off to get the bus and collect the tickets with a letter from them sayin its ok and take the bus to festival while the other is bringing said helper and van to festival, glasto office have said this is all ok, so once at the site one of us will travel back to the collection point and meet the van and head to the festival!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

foolelle wrote: »
    we will travel to bristol in camper drop one of us off to get the bus and collect the tickets with a letter from them sayin its ok and take the bus to festival while the other is bringing said helper and van to festival, glasto office have said this is all ok, so once at the site one of us will travel back to the collection point and meet the van and head to the festival!

Nothing can possiblie go wrong! ;)

On another note, anyone know how long it roughly takes to get away from the festival/area on the Monday morning? We're heading on somewhere else for a few nights so trying to judge the driving time. Probably try leave early enough on the Monday morning, about 9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

You Can be lucky and get away quick, I had a Sat Nav with live updates last year and was in my friends house in Birmingham, showered and ready for the next leg to Holyhead by 4pm, I left at around 12 from the site, meanwhile 2 other carloads of my mates were still only just outside Glastonbury on their way to the M5. We all left at the same time!! In 2011 I left site around 2pm and had no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

You Can be lucky and get away quick, I had a Sat Nav with live updates last year and was in my friends house in Birmingham, showered and ready for the next leg to Holyhead by 4pm, I left at around 12 from the site, meanwhile 2 other carloads of my mates were still only just outside Glastonbury on their way to the M5. We all left at the same time!! In 2011 I left site around 2pm and had no problems at all.

Sounds like pot luck so! I guess the more people too hungover to drive and the earlier we leave the better. Means taking it handy enough on the Sunday though....catch 22

The Black Keys confirmed by Zane Lowe on BBC Radio last night for the Sunday. Confirmation also retweeted by Emily Eavis.

Emily Eavis also replied to some tweets saying that the line up will be released In April.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The traffic getting away from the site is waaaay better now than it used to be. I'd be leaving from the campervan fields now and they specifically make everybody turn right onto the A37 on leaving the site to go south. This being the opposite direction to what all but a couple of people from Cornwall want to go in means that all of the traffic then disperses in various random directions as they try and find their way back to the motorway network.

It sounds daft, but it works very well at keeping the roads clear as everyone gets spread out. When everyone is trying to get to the same junction on the M5 by driving down the same small A road then mayhem ensues and you end up pissing off the locals.

Still the amount of time it takes to get from carpark to main road is still more of a how long is a piece of sting type question to which there is no answer.

Nothing can possiblie go wrong! ;)

On another note, anyone know how long it roughly takes to get away from the festival/area on the Monday morning? We're heading on somewhere else for a few nights so trying to judge the driving time. Probably try leave early enough on the Monday morning, about 9/10.

Oh Fled dont say that. No room for error here!! Its such a pain in the arse tbh, I just wish my brother had of listened when we were making the initial plan. The Dumbass!!

anyone willing to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

We got the bus last year and it took around 3 hours. We weren't in a great rush though and didn't leave the site until around lunchtime. I'd say it would be better earlier in the morning, but it can take a while to get back to Bristol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Any word on unsold ticket resale date? I assume it's lotto odds!!

there seems to be a lots of talk of it happening on the 27th over on efestivals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

there seems to be a lots of talk of it happening on the 27th over on efestivals

Tomorrow??? Or April?

• Advertisement

sorry man april. :) registration is closed at the moment but will reopen tomorrow, balances due up to the end of the first week en april then registration will close on the 21st of april i think with that only leaving them a week to process all late registrations before the resale on APRIL 27th.

Don't have the same excitement as I had for the original sale but gonna try again. None of my friends are going though so it will be a solo adventure if I do get a ticket.

practically did it last year on my todd. plenty of people to get chatting to you'll have a ball

practically did it last year on my todd. plenty of people to get chatting to you'll have a ball

Ah sure its more the travel and tent erection that will be a pain in the hole the rest will be gravy.

Ah yeah I know the feelin, we will be driving over in the van, so if your anywhere near the south east and if it works out cheaper for ya, you can travel with us from rosslare plenty of room.

Ah yeah I know the feelin, we will be driving over in the van, so if your anywhere near the south east and if it works out cheaper for ya, you can travel with us from rosslare plenty of room.

Ah that's dead sound! Need to sort a ticket first!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

American singer-songwriter Lana Del Rey's booking agency's website (here) reveals the 'Born To Die' singer will be appearing at this year's Glastonbury Festival on Saturday 28th June.

eFestivals believes she will be appearing as headliner on the West Holts Stage on that day. Del Rey certainly suits the 'Glam it up' theme they proposed at the start of this year for the Saturday, and her Hollywood Glam Ballads would be a perfect fit.

Read more at http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/14/140327d.shtml#qFyqg0zP3LrB3cIO.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I know next week is the deadline to pay the ticket balance. Does the lineup get announced during this period or afterwards? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

You won't get more than they've announced already I'd say. FYI thats:
    Arcade Fire • Dolly Parton • Lily Allen * Disclosure • Blondie • The Black Keys

IF you can afford to tie up the 160 quid extra your best of booking the ticket and if you don't like the lineup you've until May 9th to cancel it with only the same penality of 15stg that you'd pay for not buying now.

• Advertisement

Toast wrote: »
    You won't get more than they've announced already I'd say. FYI thats:
    Arcade Fire • Dolly Parton • Lily Allen * Disclosure • Blondie • The Black Keys

IF you can afford to tie up the 160 quid extra your best of booking the ticket and if you don't like the lineup you've until May 9th to cancel it with only the same penality of 15stg that you'd pay for not buying now.

So with that in mind, when does the resale happen if you have till the 9th of May?

Advertisement