Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

foolelle wrote: »
    jesus surprised to see this hasnt been mentioned here, c'mon lads its been nearly 24 hours since

http://www.tv3.ie/ireland_am_video.php?locID=1.65.74&video=78158

interesting stuff

After the third forced ad for rubbish I turned it off as there was no indication how much more I was going to have to endure. What is actually said in this video?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

Toast wrote: »
    After the third forced ad for rubbish I turned it off as there was no indication how much more I was going to have to endure. What is actually said in this video?
    To summarize:

Talked about the origins of the festival, how the Kinks turned them down and how T.Rex filled in.

That he's sure they'll get Led Zep some day and hesitated when quizzed about Robert Plant (we know he's playing now).

He considers Radiohead in 97 probably the best Glasto performance.

Loved John Martyn's performance back in 79.

Wouldn't have a Manchester band back again. Kinda eludes to Oasis when he says "they aren't together anymore" or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Toast wrote: »

yeah those ads drive me bananas too, cant even mute them. I did however endeavor through. Michael was interesting but kept being interrupted by the 2 clowns interviewing him.

Shorts were funny though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Christ what a pair of idiotic and interupting interviewers.

I used to like Eavis, now I think he's a cock.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Christ what a pair of idiotic and interupting interviewers.

I used to like Eavis, now I think he's a cock.

Why so?

• Advertisement

foolelle wrote: »
    Why so?

In interviews I get the feeling he thinks he's the dog's bollox. He gets a lot of love from the public and bands that play there but really he's just running a business.

If you watch the Glastonbury movie, he's less than civil to people who have jumped his fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Well of course its a business and he's a businessman, it wouldn't happen otherwise, there are charitable contributions but its a for profit endeavor.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Don't understand why people really want to see Prince at Glasto. His setlists either include the hits or they don't, and he's the type of person who'd devise the strangest setlist possible if he were to headline Glasto, letting his ego overshadow the occasion.

I'd love to see Depeche Mode headline but their latest tour has ended and doesn't look to continue any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭picaso30

Hi, this may be a stupid question but is it possible to pick up tickets anywhere for Glastonbury 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

picaso30 wrote: »
    Hi, this may be a stupid question but is it possible to pick up tickets anywhere for Glastonbury 2014.

Say a prayer and take a deep breath and steel yourself for the trauma of the resale on the 27th. If you're not registered then forget about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,615 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Blisterman wrote: »
    Who are still possible headliners?
    Bowie?
    Prince?
    Kanye?
    Metallica?

Could it be Bowie?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Could it be Bowie?

No. All indications are that it's almost certainly Metallica.

tibor wrote: »
    No. All indications are that it's almost certainly Metallica.

I've heard that they are favourites but am not so sure.. Arcade Fire and Kasabian aren't really legends so I'm expecting a bigger name for the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Fleetwood Mac was a big name mentioned earlier. Are they still in the running?

Bowie MIGHT show up at the Arcade Fire show but as for doing his own set the logistics of getting back in shape for one big last show are quite huge and I doubt he'd bother unless there was a string of appearances planned to happen shortly after (ala Kate Bush). As much as the Bowie camp doesn't leak any venue that could do that would have a very obvious block reserved that SOME speculation would have been generated at this point especially as running "Bowie to tour?" stories is like free traffic to music news sites (which is why they keep popping up).

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JackMcA

Blisterman wrote: »
    Fleetwood Mac was a big name mentioned earlier. Are they still in the running?

Emily Eavis already ruled them out

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Bowie played only a few years ago, sure he's no Coldplay who have permanent resident performer status on the Pyramid stage, but I can't see him coming back to headline again. Unless they are really, really desperate for someone.

Would be better than getting Coldplay back again obviously, just can't see it happening.

robinph wrote: »
    Bowie played only a few years ago, sure he's no Coldplay who have permanent resident performer status on the Pyramid stage, but I can't see him coming back to headline again. Unless they are really, really desperate for someone.

Would be better than getting Coldplay back again obviously, just can't see it happening.

I suspect it'll be someone major (like Prince, Kate Bush) because of the fact they can't announce it yet due to contractual reasons. Any smaller act would want it announced immediately to boost album sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

I suspect it'll be someone major (like Prince, Kate Bush) because of the fact they can't announce it yet due to contractual reasons. Any smaller act would want it announced immediately to boost album sales.

It's almost 100% metallica. Kate Bush has already sold out her concerts so no reason to hold back her announcement until May.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Maybe its Aphex Twin finally launching a new album and show.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Is there any reason people dont take the ferry to liverpool rather than holyhead, im checking out ferry prices and liverpool is quite a bit cheaper And it seems to have a quicker drive from what i can see than to holyhead. Am i missing something?

The ferry crossing is alot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

bleary wrote: »
    Is there any reason people dont take the ferry to liverpool rather than holyhead, im checking out ferry prices and liverpool is quite a bit cheaper And it seems to have a quicker drive from what i can see than to holyhead. Am i missing something?

Distance from Dublin-Holyhead is roughly the same as Holyhead -Liverpool, so the ferry takes double the time.

If the extra time didn't bother you, you could save a few bob, cheaper ferry + about 250km (inc. return) less car driving, slight fuel saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

bleary wrote: »

Yes, an 8 hour crossing as opposed to 2 and Liverpool is further away to drive to Glastonbury.
    It might look cheaper but you have to add your berth as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Yes, an 8 hour crossing as opposed to 2 and Liverpool is further away to drive to Glastonbury.
    It might look cheaper but you have to add your berth as well.

The drive from Holyhead across to the M6 isn't really that bad and is certainly quicker than staying on the boat acoss to Liverpool. Unless you are fitting in a sleep on the boat in both directions due to also driving to and from somewhere far west of Ireland as well so wanting to break up the drive more then it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

I'm thinking about getting the 8am flight back on Monday with Ryanair - would that be a nightmare to try organise and make on time?

Or is anyone else getting that back and would like to organize a taxi together?

I'm thinking about getting the 8am flight back on Monday with Ryanair - would that be a nightmare to try organise and make on time?

I wouldn't if I were you.

You'll need to be very organised and lucky at an early hour on Monday, or leave after the last act on Sunday and spend the night in the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I know a few of my friends are on that flight alright, not sure exactly on the logistics of it but doable.

Advertisement