Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Normally I wouldn't dare getting such an early flight but long story short - the rest of the group are going back in the campervan (with all our stuff) and I was thinking me and the missus might get out easily in the middle of the night around 4-5am if the traffic is light.

Just not sure there will be reliable transport at that hour to the airport, or if organising a taxi is doable either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Traffic would be light at that time. The bigger question is would you be capable of standing upright?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

I lierally don't think I could think of anything worse! Why wouldn't you jump in the campervan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Im going back on the early morning flight and there are good few people (friends of friends) going back on that flight also.

Im sure there will be taxi companies doing trips from the site out to the Airport in the early hours, plus the traffic will be very light at that hour. I dont think I will bother going asleep that night. Will be back home before midday so will sleep then :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

gazzer wrote: »
    Im going back on the early morning flight and there are good few people (friends of friends) going back on that flight also.

Im sure there will be taxi companies doing trips from the site out to the Airport in the early hours, plus the traffic will be very light at that hour. I dont think I will bother going asleep that night. Will be back home before midday so will sleep then :):)

There's a shuttle service from the festival site to the airport at 5am :eek:

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/getting-here/by-air

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I'm thinking about getting the 8am flight back on Monday with Ryanair - would that be a nightmare to try organise and make on time?

Or is anyone else getting that back and would like to organize a taxi together?

we did it last year year and just to be on the safe side, we left at about 10.30 on the Sunday. Had a cheap hotel booked in Bristol for the night, got a few hours sleep and then taxi to airport the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I definitely couldn't handle that. I'll be seeing out the wee hours of Monday morning in the Stone Circle and savouring the last of the atmosphere.

gazzer wrote: »

Manchegan wrote: »
    There's a shuttle service from the festival site to the airport at 5am :eek:

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/getting-here/by-air

@Gazzer - Yeah I was thinking the same. Just not go asleep on the Sunday, and head off early. At home, in bed by Midday on Monday.

@Manchegan: cheers - that shuttle bus could work out well actually, if its not too late.

The rest of the guys are getting the boat at 2am on Tuesday morning.. not an option for me unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I've always thought the 10pm flight was the way to go just because the idea of getting some 5am coach sounded nightmarish.. but that was based on planning on sleeping and getting up for 5am. This year I'm going to book say a 3am coach (with National Express). Have everything packed Sunday morning and dump my gear in a lock up near the coach park. That way I can enjoy Sunday without worrying about the leaving and just stroll back up to the coach park (which is nice and close to the dance village) when I'm done.

National Express are pretty flexible if you are early or late as well. Basically if you've a 3am ticket they'll take you on the 2am or 1am coach assuming there is space. I've seen people with earlier tickets get on later coaches too but I wouldn't chance my arm on that.

That 5am direct to the airport coach the festival is running might be doable but you can't appear to book it and if you don't get on it you are completely boned! The LATEST you'd want to get on a National Express coach is 4am as they go to Bristol NOT the airport. On the 5am National Express by the time you get to the Airport it'll be around 7am which would be cutting it very fine for an 8am flight.

Worst case scenario is I end up in Bristol Airport a few hours early and I can just sleep there which is usually what I end up doing anyway on the Monday waiting for the 10pm flight. This way though I'll be back in my bed in Dublin before I'd normally have left the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Toast wrote: »
    National Express are pretty flexible if you are early or late as well. Basically if you've a 3am ticket they'll take you on the 2am or 1am coach assuming there is space. I've seen people with earlier tickets get on later coaches too but I wouldn't chance my arm on that.

Not for me last year.

We went straight down to bus stop at 7ish am after seeing Ulrich Schnauss up in the Rabbit Hole hoping to get on early bus back to London and only fit for sleep. No dice. Our tickets for 11am would not be honored any earlier. Tents and gear already packed up, sun beating down and facing the longest 4 hours of our lives we were stung into buying new tickets at £30 or so a pop.

Horrible, horrible morning and beginning of worst 3-day long hangover ever.
    Can't wait to do it again this year. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

I plan on getting the National Express coach at 7am from the festival to Bristol,to catch my train to fishguard at 9:55.Whats the traffic like at that hour of the morning.Would it be better to get an earlier coach just to be on the safe side?

tibor wrote: »
    Not for me last year.

That's odd. We've jumped a couple hours before on later buses but I suppose the early buses have a high demand for them and they probably knew they'd get people to pay to get out quicker. Anyway I think 3am is the perfect time to leave for the 8am Bristol flight. You've enough of Sunday to make something of it. If you miss the 3am coach you can beg, borrow, buy yourself onto the 4am national express or the 5am festival coach. Anything earlier is extra time spent in a cold horrible airport. Reckon if I don't feel like going mad on the Sunday night I can chill somewhere like the cinema or a coffee tent until it's time to leave (with the worlds loudest alarm set of course!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Emily Eavis: 'There will be two new stages at Glastonbury 2014'
    Also, Stummerville is moving to The Park

Glastonbury festival organiser Emily Eavis has revealed that there will be two new stages and several new venues at the event this year.
    Last week, Glasto revealed more than 80 acts that will be performing at this year's festival, but now Eavis has spoken to NME about changes that will be made to the Worthy Farm site in 2014.
    "We've got a few new little venues and a couple of new stages that are still to be announced – I can't tell you much about them," she said. "And Strummerville are coming up to The Park too."
    Emily continued: "Arcadia has got a massive new space a bit nearer to The Park and it's kind of like a whole town, really. The late night area will be really spread out; there's so much late night entertainment everywhere now, not just in one area."

Is there a taxi rank we can use or would we need to organise one beforehand?

Probably looking to get a cab by 3am - 4am time.

(If anyone is looking to share a taxi / mini bus give me a shout)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I'd say almost certainly not. First off that's an American tour during the same time as Glastonbury so extremely expensive and messy to pop over during. Also they've both done Glastonbury before and for current acts like them they'd have taken an appearance fee cut to do it as an exposure thing. I'd imagine that was a once off at least until there was evidence they needed another boost in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

The War On Drugs are now a TBC on eFests. Looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Blisterman wrote: »

Don't think so. Rumours going around saying they have Twickenham booked in Sept for a few nights.

Wonder if they will come to Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Anyone else cacking their pants about the resale? Didn't manage to secure a ticket in the first round and I'm already a bag of nerves about trying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Anyone else cacking their pants about the resale? Didn't manage to secure a ticket in the first round and I'm already a bag of nerves about trying again.

In the same boat!! What are the odds of getting a ticket seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Cian_M

Anyone else think that with the probable libertines reunion coming up, that the saturday headliner could be the albion boys?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Fatfrog wrote: »
    In the same boat!! What are the odds of getting a ticket seriously?

No idea, everything else is on hold till I see if I get a ticket. Not putting all my hopes on it at the minute. If I don't get a ticket I'll probably go to Body & Soul and some other gigs but if I do get a ticket sure everyone I want to see if playing Glasto anyway then got EP at the end of the summer. So trying to stay calm.
    I'll be heading on me tod anyway if I do get one so thats kinda scary as well which doubles the nervous breakdown. Can't win. Lol

AAAaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I got them in the resale last year, was to the wire but got 2. Don't worry about going on your own if you are lucky - people are friendly. If theres boards meetups I'd be happy to show up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

stinkle wrote: »
    I got them in the resale last year, was to the wire but got 2. Don't worry about going on your own if you are lucky - people are friendly. If theres boards meetups I'd be happy to show up!

Did you get them exactly on the resale date last year? There was talk earlier about getting tickets even after the resale, turning up sporadically as cancellations come in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Yeah I got them on the resale date. Ended up with a coach package. This year I think there'e coach package resale seperate to the "regular" resale. Could be worth a try given that historically they're less popular? Unless you're planning to go with mates' transport or have your heart set on driving then it's a good option for those coming from abroad as we aren't stuck with any particular city. Personally it wouldn't bother me if the only coaches left were going from the North of England for example, whereas if I was a Londoner it'd put me out a bit!

Kaiser Chiefs have self confirmed for Glastonbury!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Kaiser Chiefs have self confirmed for Glastonbury!

Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Cian_M wrote: »
    Anyone else think that with the probable libertines reunion coming up, that the saturday headliner could be the albion boys?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Kaiser Chiefs are still going?! Haven't heard anything from them in years.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    The Kaiser Chiefs are still going?! Haven't heard anything from them in years.

Yeah they released a new album at the end of March and seem to be playing at almost every festival/event across Europe this summer including gigs in Waterford (Day Tripper Festival) and Belfast (Feile an Phobail Festival).

Advertisement