Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Have to say I'm delighted I got a ticket but disappointed in the headliners. Kasabian, Arcade Fire an Metallica are all a bit meh for me.
    Now I know its so much more than that and I'm happy in one way cos I can explore all the other stuff on offer but it would have been nice to have even one artist I'm interested in to get the pyramid stage vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Have to say I'm delighted I got a ticket but disappointed in the headliners. Kasabian, Arcade Fire an Metallica are all a bit meh for me.
    Now I know its so much more than that and I'm happy in one way cos I can explore all the other stuff on offer but it would have been nice to have even one artist I'm interested in to get the pyramid stage vibe.

The Pyramid Stage is completely over rated.

The Pyramid Stage is completely over rated.

I get that but its my first time and will mostly be exploring but seeing a great big act in that environment is surely part and parcel of the experience so just a teeny bit disappointed with the line up for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Blisterman wrote: »
    One of the Biggest selling bands in the world at the moment, who's never played Glasto before?

I guess that rules out Oasis, who've played before, and Fleetwood Mac or Stone Roses as they'd hardly be one of the biggest selling at the moment. Also, he said "band", so no Prince.

Could only be Metallica, as far as I can see. Or maybe One Direction?

Yea i think it could be 1D

Its totally going to be Abba! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Love Arcade fire!
    Haven't really listened to Metallica since I was 16! Some of the classics would be fun but for me "reload" and anything more recent is hard work!
    Are Kasabian really a headline?
    Plenty of other acts, in fact spoiled for choice! Won't get to see half the acts I intend seeing I'll bet!

Pet shop boys flown in especially for you mincey!!

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Love Arcade fire!
    Haven't really listened to Metallica since I was 16! Some of the classics would be fun but for me "reload" and anything more recent is hard work!
    Plenty of other acts, in fact spoiled for choice! Won't get to see half the acts I intend seeing I'll bet!

Gggggrrrrrr PSBs!!!!!

Ah shure I'll have great fun, Jack White, Royal Blood to get the juices going anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

I get that but its my first time and will mostly be exploring but seeing a great big act in that environment is surely part and parcel of the experience so just a teeny bit disappointed with the line up for it.
    Have heard some pretty mixed-to-negative things about what "that environment" is like.

It might look pretty amazing on TV when Snoop Dogg comes on stage with Gorillaz to spit a verse for Clint Eastwood, but the reality may be that if you don't plant yourself up the front early on and sit though some boring dross all day, you're going to be stuck about 2km back from the stage, patiently waiting for the wind to carry a snatch of whatever anthem's being played at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

For reasons that elude all but their fans, Kasabian are pretty huge in the UK. A good deal so more than over here.

Yup , have headlined pretty much every major festival around the UK

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Have heard some pretty mixed-to-negative things about what "that environment" is like.

It might look pretty amazing on TV when Snoop Dogg comes on stage with Gorillaz to spit a verse for Clint Eastwood, but the reality may be that if you don't plant yourself up the front early on and sit though some boring dross all day, you're going to be stuck about 2km back from the stage, patiently waiting for the wind to carry a snatch of whatever anthem's being played at the time.

Not true at all.

You can get very close to the front without needing to camp out all day, the crowd is very mobile between one act and another and everyone gets up and moves about to see something else, fetch a cider, find a fafalel to eat, find a ditch to collapse in, ask their mate wtf a fafalel is, get another cider etc.

I've actually found being further back to be more fun for some acts on the Pyramid. There is a bit of a dead zone I think where you are too far away to see the stage really, not far enough back to see the screens without a million flags in the way and too many people stood around not sure if they are really interested in the act or just want to head back to the Cider Bus for another pint and ask someone where the Square Pie stall is. Go a bit further forward and people are really into whatever the next act is and will be jumping around like loons, go a bit further back and you can find somewhere to sit down and relax inbetween the interesting bits, have a laugh at the person falling over the tail of their fancy dress outfit walking infront of you and find somewhere to place your cider on the ground. Then you can see the screens and as long as the wind is blowing in the right direction the sound is generally pretty top notch back there and people have a good dance and sing along when the mood takes them.

Just find the bit that works for you, and for how wasted you are at the time.

Was a long way back for the Stone last year and thought they were great, saw them on the TV coverage afterwards and thought they were crap. Further back though we just made our own impression of how they were performing on stage and took in the music and had a great time. If I'd been able to see the stage I'd have been disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Never been a fan but caught 20 mins of them on the Other stage a few years ago while wandering past with the intention of heading up towards the Park and they were great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I don't think that's true at all. The crowd's usually spread pretty thinly, so it's easy to walk through and position yourself reasonably close to the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

For reasons that elude all but their fans, Kasabian are pretty huge in the UK. A good deal so more than over here.

Not really. They've headllined Oxegen and Forbidden Fruit here, and their shows consistently sell out as soon as they're on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

I feel very much the same regarding this years Pyramid headliners

Arcade Fire, I love but have seen at festivals and their own gigs a few times already. They put on a really good show. I might see them but if there's significant clash I am willing to sacrifice.

Metallica - no interest at all and will be as far as away & engrossed in something else as is possible.

Kasabian - I am willing to admit being out of the picture entirely for this one. I had no idea they were at this level (I personally don't consider them up there with the likes of previous headliners). While I don't know their music nothing I have heard has indicated it's the kind of thing that would appeal to me

So, compared to previous headline acts of the status of Stevie Wonder, U2, Paul McCartney, the Who, The Stones, REM , Radiohead , David Bowie

I do consider this years to be slightly below par

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Still, better headliners than Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine or Skunk Anansie...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

Blisterman wrote: »
    Still, better headliners than Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine or Skunk Anansie...

Ha Ha - this is most certainly true. Count our blessings. Everything has a place in its own era I guess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I'm not a Metallica fan but if you're not interested in anyone on the same time, well worth going to see. One of the best live bands in the world, no question.

BadTurtle wrote: »
    I'm not a Metallica fan but if you're not interested in anyone on the same time, well worth going to see. One of the best live bands in the world, no question.

Really hard core live! 3hours at their own gigs no bother to them :) !
    It's funny how the guitar solos get much shorter and less complex as their albums advance!! Probably physically tiring playing these huge solos at their mega long concerts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Saw them at Oxegen I think it was 06 and they were brilliant. Would be a step up from Metallica for me anyway. Those 10 years older might think the opposite though. Can't please everyone.

Of course, they did play Glasto before, but not the Pyramid. I was ruling out anyone who'd played before at all but if that's the criteria it brings a slim chance of Daft Punk back into the fray.

Foo fighters or Abba for me, anyone else I'm not interested and will be off in la la land elsewhere.

Kasabian and Foo's at one festival this makes me a sad panda. 2 of my fav bands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

God, I really hope it's not the Foo Fighters, although it would fit in more suitably with Eavis's "biggest selling bands in the world at the moment" assertion than Metallica.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Oh my, talk about bein pulled in different directions...

Headsmelted.com

Either way, I'm quite sure it'll be a blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Once upon a midnight dreary,
    while I websurfed, weak and weary,
    Over many a strange and spurious website
    of 'hot chicks galore',
    While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark,
    suddenly there came a warning,
    And my heart was filled with mourning,
    mourning for my dear amour.
    "'Tis not possible," I muttered,
    "give me back my cheap hardcore!" -
    Quoth the server, "404".

Best error I've seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eimear_n

Oh please let it be true!!

Any ideas in the best camp site to go to? Preferably one that doesn't flood or turn in a complete mud bath!

Hoping to get there Thursday AM I assume that's early enough to get a good spot?

Any ideas in the best camp site to go to? Preferably one that doesn't flood or turn in a complete mud bath!

Hoping to get there Thursday AM I assume that's early enough to get a good spot?

We're either camping at Bushey or Michaels Mead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The vast majority of people arrive on Wednesday.

Advertisement