Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Anyone get the ferry before with a boot full of booze? I assume it isn't an issue??

Should be grand, dont know if theres an official limit but have never been searched getting the ferry over

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Anyone get the ferry before with a boot full of booze? I assume it isn't an issue??

you would be mad to buy booze here when its a fraction of cost in uk supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 11 catsa17

No bother bringing booze on the ferry! Now, a question, did anyone stay in campervan east last year? How was it leaving on the Monday morning round 8am? We were west last year but weren't on the ball with balance payment this year so ended up with east. Last year in west we drove straight out no queue but I know east is about 4 times the size of west.

Any nuggets of information gladly received :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Staying in Worthy View ourselves this year, decided to go all out. Anyone any experiences of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Staying in Worthy View ourselves! I wasn't there personally as I haven't been over since 2010 but the rest of our gang stayed there last year and said it was great. They took a chance on it last year having stayed in the tipis the previous few years and it worked out really well as the tipi village was an absolute disaster last year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

catsa17 wrote: »
    No bother bringing booze on the ferry! Now, a question, did anyone stay in campervan east last year? How was it leaving on the Monday morning round 8am? We were west last year but weren't on the ball with balance payment this year so ended up with east. Last year in west we drove straight out no queue but I know east is about 4 times the size of west.

Any nuggets of information gladly received :)

I have stayed in campervan east for the last several years. The traffic management on the way out is way better than previously...but you will find yourself being sent in the wrong direction down the A37 going south when you leave the site. This is done deliberately and you don't get a choice to drive north.

By sending everyone south, despite everyone except for a few people from Cornwall wanting to go north, it means that everyone is then all a bit confused and so the traffic just naturally disperses across the countryside as they all try and find the best way to the main road that you actually want.

Make sure that you have a proper paper map on you and someone that can read it. Do not rely on the GPS to get you back to the M5 as it will just send you towards a traffic jam.
    We have approxiamately gone south on the A37 until the A372 and then followed our noses until getting back on the M5 at Bridgewater the last couple of times. It is the long way round but we have rarely encountered any traffic and at least being on the move helps you feel as if you are getting somewhere. If you join the A39 too soon then you will encounter traffic jams.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

Another for Worthy View here, we stayed off site in 2010 too and I adored it. My days of camping in utter devastation are over me, clean showers and respite are what will keep me going for the 5 days.

Arcadia lineup due out today.

PadraigOK wrote: »
    Another for Worthy View here, we stayed off site in 2010 too and I adored it. My days of camping in utter devastation are over me, clean showers and respite are what will keep me going for the 5 days.

Arcadia lineup due out today.

Same, hit 30 last week so my down n dirty camping days seem to be behind me.

Bring on the showers and corn on the cob blended up in to a fine mush...

robinph wrote: »
    I have stayed in campervan east for the last several years. The traffic management on the way out is way better than previously...but you will find yourself being sent in the wrong direction down the A37 going south when you leave the site. This is done deliberately and you don't get a choice to drive north.

By sending everyone south, despite everyone except for a few people from Cornwall wanting to go north, it means that everyone is then all a bit confused and so the traffic just naturally disperses across the countryside as they all try and find the best way to the main road that you actually want.

Make sure that you have a proper paper map on you and someone that can read it. Do not rely on the GPS to get you back to the M5 as it will just send you towards a traffic jam.
    We have approxiamately gone south on the A37 until the A372 and then followed our noses until getting back on the M5 at Bridgewater the last couple of times. It is the long way round but we have rarely encountered any traffic and at least being on the move helps you feel as if you are getting somewhere. If you join the A39 too soon then you will encounter traffic jams.

Brill thanks for that, will be taking that advice. We have to get the ferry at bout 14.30 on Monday so don't want to be rushing. We were there in loads of time last year so would have preferred to stay with the tried and tested west campervan site but it wasn't to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Without getting into an off-site camping debate, there are plenty of clean, hot shower on site - Kids field, greenpeace and mobile solar showers(used to be in lower mead but were at cycle camping field last year). Queues can be pretty lengthy in the morning for girls - up to an hour, but only a few mins by afternoon. Lads only queue about 15-20 mins in morning and not at all later in the day. Have taken the approach of bringing a towel out in day bag with me the last few years and popping into whichever I'm nearest to before/after lunch to blast away the cobwebs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

tibor wrote: »
    Have taken the approach of bringing a towel out in day bag with me the last few years and popping into whichever I'm nearest to before/after lunch to blast away the cobwebs.

Cracking idea that.

I have always fancied the idea of general camping at Glasto but as I creep on in life (32 years young), the appeal wanes. Off-site means we can leave our own tents at home and park but a stones throw away. WV is close to an area of the site (The Park, SE Corner) I didn't spend much time at when I went in 2010 (my only time at Glasto), so it'll hopefully mean I get to see quite a bit of it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Did Worthy View last time and I'm skipping it this time.

Having the tent setup and not having to bring the extra gear was great. The actual tent was excellent quality and really allowed a lie in even in the sun. There was a little cafe place that you could get decent enough food and drink 24 hrs a day which made for a good chill down before heading to bed. They also threw in a free airbed though that might have been an accident.

Now the bad stuff. The actual camp is up on a VERY steep hill. Even going down this thing was hardly pleasant because of the gradient. Climbing up it was hellish. It really meant there was no hopping back for a quick power nap or to pick up beers at any point in the day. Also the toilets in the area were really poor. Few of them for the amount of people there and they degraded quickly as a result. Also on the Monday there was meant to be a bus that brought us down to the buses on gate A. It was severely delayed and in the end rather than wait for it I did the trek on foot which lead me to missing my booked bus.

If you're fit the hill will be only minor inconvenience and hopefully they'll have sorted the toilets out this year but don't think of it as the lazy bastard option because it really is as much work if not more. I wouldn't trust the buses to be there for you on Monday either (the one to castle cary seemed to be given preference and if you went up with enough time that could be doable).

Toast wrote: »
    Did Worthy View last time and I'm skipping it this time.

Now the bad stuff. The actual camp is up on a VERY steep hill. Even going down this thing was hardly pleasant because of the gradient. Climbing up it was hellish. It really meant there was no hopping back for a quick power nap or to pick up beers at any point in the day. Also the toilets in the area were really poor. Few of them for the amount of people there and they degraded quickly as a result. Also on the Monday there was meant to be a bus that brought us down to the buses on gate A. It was severely delayed and in the end rather than wait for it I did the trek on foot which lead me to missing my booked bus.

If you're fit the hill will be only minor inconvenience and hopefully they'll have sorted the toilets out this year but don't think of it as the lazy bastard option because it really is as much work if not more. I wouldn't trust the buses to be there for you on Monday either (the one to castle cary seemed to be given preference and if you went up with enough time that could be doable).

Heard about the toilets last year on other forums alright, apparently there was some kind of a survey done afterwards and I'm sure a lot of people gave out about them so hopefully they'll be fixed up for this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

I've just got an email off seetickets saying that my ticket has being despatched!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

I haven't got my dispatch email yet but just looked at my See Tickets online account and it says that 14% of total tickets have been dispatched. Must have just started yesterday or today!!:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

We're in Worthy View too - hopefully the hill won't seem too bad, but thanks for the heads-up about that!

My other halfs ticket has been dispatched but not mine eeeek!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

kennyu272 wrote: »
    I've just got an email off seetickets saying that my ticket has being despatched!

Funny that! The web site is saying 0% dispatched ??

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

Funny that! The web site is saying 0% dispatched ??

According to my order tracker 14% of tickets have being despatched..

• Advertisement

Got my dispatch email from See Tickets this morning. :D:D:D

My online account says 38% dispatched at the moment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

My tickets on the way too - EEEEEEEEEEEK! **** is getting real now folks! :)

Wow - I forgot S**t is a bad word.... :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Got my dispatch email from See Tickets this morning. :D:D:D

My online account says 38% dispatched at the moment!!

It says 0% dispatched to me.

I suspect they are just showing a random number to try and fool us.

38% showing on mine :pac:

You should have two Glastonbury orders on your online account. The Deposit order will say 0% dispatched while the Balance Payment order should say 38%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Could be down to the type of ticket you're getting (GA/camper/coach)

I think last year the campervan tickets were sent out after the regular ones.

Our GA tickets were dispatched this morning so should have them in a few days

ceegee wrote: »
    Could be down to the type of ticket you're getting (GA/camper/coach)

I think last year the campervan tickets were sent out after the regular ones.

Our GA tickets were dispatched this morning so should have them in a few days

I have a campervan ticket included with my order and it was dispatched this morning so might be a different system in place to last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Is anybody waiting until they get to Glastonbury before they buy a tent? I dont fancy carrying my 6 man tent around so was thinking of just getting a 3 man tent there for me and my mate when we arrive.

• Advertisement

I have a campervan ticket included with my order and it was dispatched this morning so might be a different system in place to last year!

I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to it now! :D I have a campervan ticket included with mine and still not dispatched. Says 17% gone on mine too..... all very random

Advertisement