Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mashob

Anyone flying to Bristol airport on Thursday morning looking for car/taxi/bus share? Or boating and looking for company?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

In my opinion they are a horrid fit for Glastonbury. Or at least old Glastonbury and what it used to be about.

Glastonbury used to give the big headline slots to big current acts and/or cutting edge acts with crossover appeal. That was part of what made it special. That and the lax security which meant literally anybody could show up. This lead to all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff happening on site and made it a genuine alternative place, full of a real cross section of alternative British society.

The last 10-15 years have seen an erosion of that.

Seeing as at this stage it's just another corporate do, and they've had plenty of dinosaurs,money grasping sell outs and other wholly innapropriate acts I suppose it's fine.

Also Metallica are absolute garbage.

I went for the first time in 1995, and someone would have written exactly the same thing about it then. It changes with the times and I believe it is far better for it.

I certainly don't look back with any kind of impression that "things were better back in the day" at the times when my tent and everything except what I was wearing at the time was nicked on the Wednesday for two years running. There is a more commercial side to things now, but it is not even in the same league of corporate sponsorship as any other festival and you'd have to go out of your way to figure out who the various companies are that sponsor the event in anyway. The most obvious ones are EE, and as everyone takes a phone these days people would complain if there wasn't a phone connection on site, and Yeo Valley is the only other brand that I can think of and that is just because of the bags that you get at the gate. It's hardly an overwhelming sense of corporate sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

In my opinion they are a horrid fit for Glastonbury. Or at least old Glastonbury and what it used to be about.

Glastonbury used to give the big headline slots to big current acts and/or cutting edge acts with crossover appeal. That was part of what made it special. That and the lax security which meant literally anybody could show up. This lead to all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff happening on site and made it a genuine alternative place, full of a real cross section of alternative British society.

The last 10-15 years have seen an erosion of that.

Seeing as at this stage it's just another corporate do, and they've had plenty of dinosaurs,money grasping sell outs and other wholly innapropriate acts I suppose it's fine.

Also Metallica are absolute garbage.

I can't see Metallica touring on for much longer, so I personally think it's a clever decision adding them before they eventually retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Looking increasingly likely that I'll be flying in on my own on the Wednesday morning flight with Ryanair. If there is anyone with a spare spot in a taxi for one with rucksack which is heading direct to the festival via a tesco stopover in Wells let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Toast wrote: »
    Looking increasingly likely that I'll be flying in on my own on the Wednesday morning flight with Ryanair. If there is anyone with a spare spot in a taxi for one with rucksack which is heading direct to the festival via a tesco stopover in Wells let me know.

Same situation as myself tbh :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I can't see Metallica touring on for much longer, so I personally think it's a clever decision adding them before they eventually retire.
    the reason i brought them up is obviously i'm a long time fan, and any long time fan would know that glastonbury is being taken REAALY seriously to the point that i think they are going to put on the show of their lives!! So if you wanna see a high intensity live band bring it up 20 notches then throw an eye on that stage!! They would easily slay U2 and the stones to name two!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

5 acts/things you really hope to see next week:

1. The War on Drugs
    2. John Hopkins
    3. Parquet Courts
    4. Random sh*t in the late night areas
    5. Midlake

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Danny Brown
    Four Tet
    Jon Hopkins
    Psychemagik
    Kelis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Mr B the Gentleman Rhymer
    Royal Blood
    Jack White (damn you mega clash)
    Parquet Courts
    Arcadia

(6)Foo Fighters (yes, I am ever the optimist they are the secret other stage opener)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

The War On Drugs
    Bonobo
    St Vincent
    Pixies
    Massive Attack

Young Fathers would have made it onto that list but they've since been confirmed for EP, will catch them then. Will allow me time to get down from Worthy View and get a decent-ish spot for Royal Blood. Desperately want to see Jon Hopkins but the missus has dug her heels in and Metallica stand in my way.

Psychemagik any use? Hoping to see East India Youth and fear that Sasha will be bunged so may stick around at Wow on the Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Sandwell

PadraigOK wrote: »
    The War On Drugs
    Bonobo
    St Vincent
    Pixies
    Massive Attack

Young Fathers would have made it onto that list but they've since been confirmed for EP, will catch them then. Will allow me time to get down from Worthy View and get a decent-ish spot for Royal Blood. Desperately want to see Jon Hopkins but the missus has dug her heels in and Metallica stand in my way.

Psychemagik any use? Hoping to see East India Youth and fear that Sasha will be bunged so may stick around at Wow on the Thursday.

Psychemagik are really good house/disco djs. They'd have a similar style to Greg Wilson, Optimo or the Unabombers. I've been a fan for a while but never managed to catch them. They're playing a few times over the course of the festival so I'll hopefully catch them at least once.

Saw East India Youth at Longitude last year and really enjoyed him. I might try and catch him again. Sasha will surely be mobbed. He's the most recognisable 'name' on that Thursday lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Despsacio
    AFX
    Four Tet
    Royal Blood
    J5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Despacio and AFX will be incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Young Fathers
    Cassetteboy + DJ Rubbish (good for a laugh)
    London Sinfonietta + Jonny Greenwood
    John Wizards
    Deltron 3030

We'll see how it goes though - working at the festival so may be on shift.

London Sinfonietta + Jonny Greenwood
    Will hopefully catch some of this too depending on who the TBA on Friday morning is. Then wander over towards the Pyramid for The War On Drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Whey hey!!! Got my tickets today!! ;) excitement really building now!!

Agree, 'War on drugs' a must see! really like their stuff, haven't seen them live though!
    Gaz Coombes (aka super grass)
    Jagwar ma
    Arcade fire, a must with the new album

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

PDF version of the program is available here

http://glas.to/2014eprog

Warning! Do not click the above link if you want to get any work done today. I really like getting a chance to see the program before the festival. I always end up reading of something cool on the Sunday that happened on the Thursday or similar. Already added bunch of stuff I want to catch to the list now after having a browse through that.

100 pages?! That's as almost as big a struggle as getting from one end of the site to the other.

Getting excited now though.

Sooo.
    Anybody getting into Bristol on the Wednesday morning at 7:30 or 7:45 fancy a taxi share? :o

• Advertisement

Sooo.
    Anybody getting into Bristol on the Wednesday morning at 7:30 or 7:45 fancy a taxi share? :o

http://flyer.bristolairport.co.uk/timetable_from_bia_mon_fri.php

Shuttles from the train station to the festival. :)

crap, wrong station.

Mince Pie wrote: »
    http://flyer.bristolairport.co.uk/timetable_from_bia_mon_fri.php

Shuttles from the train station to the festival. :)

I didnt know they were doing buses!
    I FCUKING LOVE YOU AND OWE YOU DRINK THINGS!

Wait...I thought those were direct. :o Still very handy
    This packing lark has me tired

I didnt know they were doing buses!
    I FCUKING LOVE YOU AND OWE YOU DRINK THINGS!

Hang on, you need to get to castle carey. Let me look.

Sorry Chinny, there are buses but going a bit later than you wanted. Leaves the airport at 11am or temples meads at 9am and takes an hour to get to site.
    I'd still see if theres a lift share at that hour. There is a lift share area on efests.

Sorry Chinny, there are buses but going a bit later than you wanted. Leaves the airport at 11am or temples meads at 9am and takes an hour to get to site.
    I'd still see if theres a lift share at that hour. There is a lift share area on efests.

Yeah thats what im seeing too. Thanks for checking though :)

Yeah thats what im seeing too. Thanks for checking though :)

I'd say there will be quite a few peeps at the airport probably up for sharing as well.
    Don't worry, if you get the 9am bus from temple mead it will get you on site for about 10am which is plenty of time to meet up with camp. ;)

I'd say there will be quite a few peeps at the airport probably up for sharing as well.
    Don't worry, if you get the 9am bus from temple mead it will get you on site for about 10am which is plenty of time to meet up with camp. ;)

Ill make it!
    Packed now with a few KG to spare....this has never happened before....im scared :eek:

Ill make it!
    Packed now with a few KG to spare....this has never happened before....im scared :eek:

you need a ball gown. ;)

I was looking for a taxi share before but I went and panic bought myself a national express ticket out of Bristol. Plan now is Flyer to Bristol Bus station, stock up some beers nearby, 9.30 nat express to festival. If anyone is on the same journey and wants to meet up at the airport let me know.

If anyone is getting a taxi fight hard for them to drop you at the pedestrian gate A. Last year the taxis insisted on dropping at Bath and West Showgrounds where you'll wait at least an hour for a shuttle bus to bring you to the festival. Haven't heard anything to say they've reinstated the taxi drop off point on site this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

made quite a few playlists on spotify based on bands most recent setlist on setlistfm. Just click on the link and go to public playlists.

[URL]spotify:user:thunder_dogs[/URL]

(Mostly Sat and Sunday bands as I will only be there those days)

Advertisement