Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Wooderson wrote: »
    If you get a flight into Brizzle a taxi will take about 35 minutes depending on traffic. Taxis can use dedicated corridors unavailable to regular punters. Best advice I can give is get there as early as possible.

It's changed a little now. now taxis will drop you off at the Shuttle Bus boarding area and the bus will take you the rest of the way. This bus trip is only about 10 mins though.

Usually we were able to get a taxi right up to the bus dropoff area but they wouldn't go last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Wooderson

BananaR wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hiring camper van in IE versus hiring in UK

Anyone any obvious pros/cons to point out on either ?

Ive done both. Below points are from the Irish side. Opposite being more often than not the case for the UK providers.

Pros:

- Availability. The UK is stripped bare for late June. It is hugely difficult to organise one unless you are getting it sorted out now. Irish providers will have availability in January.
    - Licensing. Recent Irish licenses don't have the C1 accreditation needed to drive some of the larger (6 berth/3 axle) vehicles. The range here will be below the 3.5 tonne limit, freeing up more peoples ability to take them out.

Cons:

- Cost. I've found the Irish providers to be v expensive.
    - Rental period. I've found Irish prividers to only allow 7 day rental.
    - Travel. To get to Glasto you've gotta go via Holyhead or Pembroke - and the same on the way back - neither are close to the fest and the sailings can be prohibitive.
    - Range. Really big substantial vehicles are hard to come by here.

I'll be campervanning it again this summer. Fly to Brizzle and collect from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Think we'll be going glamping regardless cause i'm too old for anything else, but thanks for the advice!

How much are we talking for a taxi?

I think we paid around £60 this year, so around £15 per head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Wooderson

It's changed a little now. now taxis will drop you off at the Shuttle Bus boarding area and the bus will take you the rest of the way. This bus trip is only about 10 mins though.

Usually we were able to get a taxi right up to the bus dropoff area but they wouldn't go last time.

Oh ok. Hadnt heard that mate. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

That's how it's supposed to be, but our driver took a bit of a back way this year and dropped us right at the festival. Might just be luck of the draw as to the time and which driver you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

They're much more flexible on the Thursday than on the Wednesday.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Stanton Warriors are the first act to self confirm that they will be appearing at next year's Glastonbury Festival on their Facebook page (here).

The West Country duo posted the news saying, "Glastonbury Festival (official) 2014 is a go! It will be our 10th anniversary of playing there : )"

Stanton Warriors have been producing, playing, mixing, and releasing music since 2001, Dominic Butler and Mark Yardley have released four volumes of their Stanton Sessions albums. Previously signed to XL Recordings, the duo now operate their own label, Punks. The band actually first appeared on The Glade stage on the Saturday of Glastonbury 2002, before taking a year out in 2003. They returned appearing on the Dance Tent stage in 2004, and have appeared every year the event has been on since then

Read more at http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/13/131014b.shtml#YJvolRK0OK8wYKT0.99

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Seems to be a lot of stories popping up about Metallica the last couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

scudzilla wrote: »
    Gonna throw a big curveball out there and say Metallica, they've never headlined before and were gonna play in 99 before they pulled out, they were never announced but pulled out of talks, i interviewed Lars for Kerrang (a fan comp) and asked him about Glastonbury, he was keen and said talks were at an advanced stage. I told him they don't do day tickets so Metallica fans would have to sit through 3 days of shite to see them, he seemed pretty taken aback at no day tickets.

The band have changed now and seem to be playing area's they've never done before, and a headline slot at Glasto will surely be one to tick off the bucket list, they also come over a LOT in June/July to play festivals, they didn't this year so definately will next year
    Seems to be a lot of stories popping up about Metallica the last couple of days

Called that one 6 weeks ago, as a HUGE Metallica fan and someone with a very good idea on how they work i'd say this is 95% certain

Manics for Glastonbury?
    Manic Street Preachers have revealed that they would love to perform their classic album 'The Holy Bible' in full at Glastonbury, sparking rumours that a special anniversary performance could be in the pipeline.

Next year will see the Manics celebrate the 20th anniversary of their post-punk masterpiece. While speaking to BBC Radio6 Music DJ Lauren Laverne earlier today, during a live session at Maida Vale, the band let slip some ideas on how to mark the album's milestone.

Lead vocalist James Dean Bradfield said: "[Our archivist] might have a plan, because we’ve definitely found a lot of 'Holy Bible' material that we didn’t know we had. I don’t mean music, but pictures, notebooks and that sort of thing."

Lyricist and bassist Nicky Wire added: "We’ve wrestled with the idea of doing a gig playing the whole of [the album], but I’m not so sure. I’d like to do it at Glastonbury actually, I really would."

The Manics released their 11th studio album, 'Rewind The Film', last month. They plan to release another studio offering, 'Futurology', in April 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

judging from people getting tickets previous years, roughly what are my chances of getting a ticket in the resale in April? am i wasting my time? i assume it's much harder than the october sale which i missed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

judging from people getting tickets previous years, roughly what are my chances of getting a ticket in the resale in April? am i wasting my time? i assume it's much harder than the october sale which i missed

Chances are low enough but definitely not a lost cause. Complete lottery but one of our group last year picked one up in the re-sale. Actually ended up getting though pretty easy for it on the day but it really does seem to come down to pot luck as huge numbers of disappointed people on efestivals forums with no joy despite having all manner of elaborate setups to try and increase the chances of bagging one.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I was successful too, but couldn't get near the booking screen til they were almost gone and had to opt for coach package

There are more resales after April and in just confirming tweets about them I got in to the buy screen several times with no effort. Basically if you've got your reg details easily retrievable and you are in a situation where you can make the decision to go without thinking about it and you watch the twitter feeds of the various Glastonbury related sites (efest, glastowatch etc) you'll get one eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

cheers guys.

toast, didn't know there more sales after april. what do you mean 'just confirming tweets about them'.
    i followed those twitter accounts anyway and I live on the internet so my chances are improved i think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not happened in a couple of years, but I have picked up tickets before on unannounced sale windows where the website just happened to go live when I was bored and clicked on the link in the few days after one of the announced ticket sales. Of course I made sure I'd secured the tickets I needed before then posting to the likes of efests about it.

Just keep your ear to the ground and tickets may come online at other times after the sales. Whenever they do an announced sale though, afterwards there will always be a number of tickets that don't get completed due to peoples cards not being accepted or something, so those tickets then get put back out.

cheers guys.

toast, didn't know there more sales after april. what do you mean 'just confirming tweets about them'.

As in I'd see a tweet saying tickets were back on sale and I'd check the link to see if it was true before retweeting it. I got in I think three times between the April resale and the festival this year just doing that.

Lily Allen has confirmed that she’ll be performing at Glastonbury Festival next year.

Allen recently returned to music after a lengthy hiatus, rolling out her contribution to this year's John Lewis Christmas ad and the controversial video for Hard Out Here.

A new album is expected in 2014 and she's also revealed that she'll tread the boards at Glastonbury next summer as part of a major festival run.

She told BBC Radio 1 host Nick Grimshaw:
    “[Glastonbury] got confirmed yesterday. That's the first big thing I'm going to be doing. I'll be doing 16 weeks of festivals over the summer and then tour. It's the best festival, I think – that, and Fuji Rock in Japan.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

So the rumour mill is milling away with the sounds of a dancing queen or man after midnight in Waterloo but it might just be about the money money money!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Thinking of going to Glasto or Leeds this summer. Does anyone know if many tickets are resold in the spring? I'm looking for about four. I saw a few posted about successfully getting a few on resale, can you only buy one or can you buy more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Thinking of going to Glasto or Leeds this summer. Does anyone know if many tickets are resold in the spring? I'm looking for about four. I saw a few posted about successfully getting a few on resale, can you only buy one or can you buy more?

The resale depends on the amount of returned tickets. The coach packages went on sale before regular tickets this year so there may be quite a few people who got coach tix as a backup and then got regular tickets so will be returning one.

You get upto 6 (? Afair) tickets on one booking but each person will need to register beforehand on the glasto site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They would have used their registration number when booking the coach ticket though, so wouldn't have then been able to buy in the regular ticket sale. But anyway, there will be a bunch of tickets returned and up for the resale in April'ish time, just have to be lucky to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Sorry I'm on my phone so I can't double quote to the both of you, I just wanted to say thanks for the replies. I've always wanted to go Glasto since a young age, the thought of potentially going makes me want to cry!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

So can we take it from the announcements here this week that Arcade Fire, Pixies, Elbow and Robert Plant are Glasto bound?

So can we take it from the announcements here this week that Arcade Fire, Pixies, Elbow and Robert Plant are Glasto bound?

Also maybe through in NIN 2nd stage headliner?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Would be good alright, is this just a guess or have you backup??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

would they get a headline slot? I love them but I dunno if they would get there

They were Other Stage headliners in 2000.

Would be good alright, is this just a guess or have you backup??

Just a guess but since they are around Europe in June
    would they get a headline slot? I love them but I dunno if they would get there

Id say so , either headline 2nd or sub on the main . Cant see Trent wanting to do anything lower than that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

Wouldn't be surprised to see Kanye there, he is bringing his Yeezus tour to Europe in the summer and I'd imagine that glasto would be an attractive offer for him considering his pals beyonce and Jay z both headlined before

Advertisement