Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router trouble

Options
  • 02-09-2013 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi all, just having an issue with new router and I would appreciate some help.

I upgraded my package with UPC and they sent me out a new router (tc7200 u) but one of the laptops ( it's a cq-50 running Vista basic) couldn't connect to it, or rather it could connect to the router but not to the internet.

I rang UPC and they said run ipconfig/ refresh, renew in the command prompt, and when I couldn't (and I am the only user on it) they said thats all the help they can offer.

So looked online and it seems its a DNS problem, I have tried setting it manually from instructions on the intenet but it didn't work as I'm not very techno savy, so can I do something to get it to work or should I just use the old router ? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Can you access the router home page? Try resetting all wireless settings on the laptop, setting DNS etc to automatic, IP address to auto DHCP.

Try ping google.com in cmd?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

also try connecting by a wire to set it up when i moved to the Thompson router i found out by default it uses a different IP address range so i needed to change that to integrate it into my Home network. as said above try pinging first the advance to see where you issue lies, there are UPS people on boards that could help you also

if you want to post your question Talk to UPC

but if i can be of any help just ask

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Can other laptops connect to the router?
    Are you connecting wirelessly or using a cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

shantolog wrote: »
    Hi all, just having an issue with new router and I would appreciate some help.

I upgraded my package with UPC and they sent me out a new router (tc7200 u) but one of the laptops ( it's a cq-50 running Vista basic) couldn't connect to it, or rather it could connect to the router but not to the internet.

I rang UPC and they said run ipconfig/ refresh, renew in the command prompt, and when I couldn't (and I am the only user on it) they said thats all the help they can offer.

So looked online and it seems its a DNS problem, I have tried setting it manually from instructions on the intenet but it didn't work as I'm not very techno savy, so can I do something to get it to work or should I just use the old router ? Thanks in advance

log onto the modem's gui

downgrade the wpa2 psk to wpa psk... your vista laptop wifi drivers doesnt support wpa2 psk

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Make sure Vista is also up to date via Windows update. Vista did have issues with WPA early on, that afaik SP2 sorted

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭shantolog

Sorry for the late replys, finally got it working, I think it was mainly these two things :

yoyo wrote: »
    Make sure Vista is also up to date via Windows update. Vista did have issues with WPA early on, that afaik SP2 sorted

Nick
    log onto the modem's gui

downgrade the wpa2 psk to wpa psk... your vista laptop wifi drivers doesnt support wpa2 psk

I did these two things and Presto, its working.

Thanks a lot for your help you have helped my old mother continue her epic battle with Candycrush :D

Advertisement