Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blood testing ewes for deficiencies

• 02-09-2013 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

Have any of ye got ewes blood tested for any deficiencies. To find out if there's some mineral or TE they're not getting enough of or possibly too much :confused: I must call into my vet soon anyway and will ask him but thought I'd pose the question here first. Is it worthwhile?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

i blood test a % of ewes most years to check for mineral deficiencies - i take about 10 samples and throw them into the vets to check for selenium and iodine mostly - costs me about £3-4 a sample i think. We're in a very selenium deficient area and it saves me throwing mineral licks at them wholesale like i used to, bolus them and i know they're all getting the same amount. Nothing like low trace elements to reduce fertility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

i blood test a % of ewes most years to check for mineral deficiencies - i take about 10 samples and throw them into the vets to check for selenium and iodine mostly - costs me about £3-4 a sample i think. We're in a very selenium deficient area and it saves me throwing mineral licks at them wholesale like i used to, bolus them and i know they're all getting the same amount. Nothing like low trace elements to reduce fertility.

how do you got about taking samples, where the best place to extract, neck, tail?

sounds like a good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Is there any lab that will take samples from a farmer or do they have to go through the vet, as my vet will push his mineral supplement no matter what the result and its not much good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Bleed them from the neck - make sure you have the correct coloured bottles as last year the lab wouldn't take samples if they were in incorrect bottles with coloured tops (a load of balls if you ask me). Get the neck turned to the left and lift upwards, pull the wool away or clip it off and feel for the vein with your index finger, you should feel it pulsing and stick in your vacuum bottle with needle and it will be filled immediately. don't confuse the vein with the windpipe

it will take you a few goes but its a good skill to have

Advertisement