Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Honours Irish for primary teacher training.

Options
  • 02-09-2013 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I would love to become a primary teacher but need to achieve an honours Irish in LC. Where is the best place to do this course in the evenings around Dublin? Is it doable in one year?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jane Harbourne

Hi Mundy07,
    Would you consider one to one grinds? I really want to be a primary teacher too, and only the Irish was in my way. So, 19 years after doing my leaving (pass Irish), last September I started grinds with a girl in <SNIP> - she can travel if needs be - two days a week, three hours total. She was absolutely brilliant, she covered the whole course and the one to one attention was fabulous, especially around spoken Irish. I just got my results and got a B3. I really recommend her. Her name is <SNIP>, and she charges 20 Euro an hour (though I think the average is more like 35-40?). I can give you her details if you're interested?
    Good luck!
    Jane

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mundy07

Thanks for your message Jane and congratulations on B3. Brilliant result.
    May I ask why you didn't attend Plunkett college for example who have a course specifically for individuals who wish to earn An honour in Irish LC and then get grinds in addition for the 2nd and 3rd term?
    I thought that was a good way to go about it as i could not afford grinds for the entire year.
    As someone who has survived the LC for a second time, id love to know your thought process.
    Thanks
    Mundy

Hi Mundy,
    Thanks, I was pretty chuffed and amazed myself with the result.
    As for my thoughts on the grinds as opposed to class, to be honest I just couldn't really go to a class during the day as I have a 2 year old and a 9-5 job. The grinds fitted in with my schedule. Also, I'm 37 now, so I would have been a bit self conscious in a school classroom, if you know what I mean? I hadn't planned on going to grinds for the whole thing, but I just really clicked with <SNIP>. She's very good at making you comfortable and relaxed. So that's how I ended up going to her. Initially it was 2 hours a week, then three after Christmas. The oral in April is worth 40% and so it's really worth having that one to one time - without knowing it you're sort of always prepping the oral.
    I wonder have you heard of TEG? It's an alternative to honours Irish now for teaching? My plan had been to sit the TEG exam in April (its on once a year, 3rd Saturday in April - which is about the same time as leaving cert oral), but I went with the leaving in the end. If you're interested in TEG, you need to do the B2 level as the honours Irish alternative. You can access all the material for free on their website TEG.ie, but you'd need classes I think, it's pretty hard. Plunketts were to run a TEG course last year, which I applied for, but they didn't have enough people and didn't go ahead.
    Incidentally, I did my oral in Plunketts and my written and aural in The Institute on Griffith Avenue and both were really sound to deal with.
    Hope this helps, and good luck.
    Jane

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Safety

Hi Jane,

After seeing this post now, well done with achieving a B3.
    Just wondering could you send me on the Irish grinds teachers details?
    I really want to do primary teaching aswell but haven't the Irish like a lot of people.
    Thanks,
    Stephen

Hi Stephen
    Her name is <SNIP>. Her number is <SNIP>. She's <SNIP>, really chilled and a very good teacher. Bes of luck!
    Jane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

[MOD] I've closed this thread as it's not relevant to this forum. I would have moved it to a more relevant location, but...

Folks, I don't think it should be necessary for me to point out that posting someone's personal details and contact information on the internet is really not a good idea. Please don't do it again. [/MOD]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement