Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthing downlights

Options
  • 02-09-2013 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭

I have bought four conversion kits to replace R80 downlights with GU10 fittings. The original R80 fittings were double insulated and had no earth connection. The new fittings are bare metal and have an earth connection.

The circuit on which the four new fittings will be placed has a mixture of fittings that are earthed (shaver light in bathroom) and some that are not (ceiling roses in bedrooms). The wiring would date from the mid 80's with some more recent additions.

In the attic there is a junction box (call it A) that is part of the circuit. The shaver light is wired into it. there is a single green cable that passes from A through other junction boxes back to the consumer unit.

My question is can I daisy chain a single earth cable through each of the four new fittings back to junction box A and be safe? Also is there any recommended cross section area of cable I should use?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Daisychaining an earth wire ( as you call it) should be fine
    Use 1.5mm earth wire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

meercat wrote: »
    Daisychaining an earth wire ( as you call it) should be fine
    Use 1.5mm earth wire

Thanks meercat. Sorry if I used the wrong terminology.

Daisy chain is fine. No apology required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

Do they really require earthing ?

For putting in GU10's, you should wire the whole lot to a unprotected live, stand in a bath full of water, and put one hand in the fitting, the other up your ass.;)

whizbang wrote: »
    Do they really require earthing ?

For putting in GU10's, you should wire the whole lot to a unprotected live, stand in a bath full of water, and put one hand in the fitting, the other up your ass.;)

I assume they do. They are completely bare metal and there is an earth connection on each fitting. I would rather not take a chance with safety.

You are not a fan of GU10's then? I intend using LED's which will reduce my consumption from 240W to 20W for the four fittings.

• Advertisement

you should fit specific designed downlights like these for your bathroom
    the bulb should be covered

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/lighting_gu10-mains-downlights_gu10-bathroom-downlight-chrome.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

TBH, LEDs are fine as is in the bathroom, but i would look for enclosed, or some way covered led's.

The reason I dont like GU10's is people will end up fitting cheapo 50W incandescent regardless. The sheer volume of piss poor quality leds will ensure folks get fed up and go back to slightly less poor incandescent.

whizbang wrote: »
    TBH, LEDs are fine as is in the bathroom, but i would look for enclosed, or some way covered led's.

The reason I dont like GU10's is people will end up fitting cheapo 50W incandescent regardless. The sheer volume of piss poor quality leds will ensure folks get fed up and go back to slightly less poor incandescent.

The GU10's are for a corridor not a bathroom so even if the light quality is not as good people will not have long exposure to it as they will be passing from one room to another.

Advertisement