Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed wireless phone line

Options
  • 02-09-2013 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Recently I got rid of my landline for fixed wireless with phone. This left me with only one phone plugged into the fixed wireless antenna, and the 4 other phones connected to the old wall sockets useless. I thought I could fix the problem by plugging the wireless antenna phone signal into a phone socket (distributing the signal to the other phones around the house), and this mostly works, except for one key thing - the phones don't ring. They can make and receive calls, and their incoming caller ID functions work (so you can actually visually see that there's an incoming call!), but the ringers don't work. As far as I understand, there is dedicated ringer cable within standard phone wire, but I don't know where the ringer signal is being 'lost'. Plus, I'm not too knowledgeable about phone systems. Is there an easy fix for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You would probably need to disconnect the incoming phone cable at the master socket first as there is most likely still an electrical current running on it.

In Ireland there isn't a dedicated ringer cable - only 2 wires are used. I think the UK may have a dedicated ringer cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

The REN (Ring Equivalence Number) is set to 4 devices on a standard Eircom/BT line however your device probably has a REN of 3
    Your device has too many phones plugged in for them all to ring.
    Try it with 3 phones and see how you get on.
    Plug them all back in and turn off the ringer on one and see if the remaining three will ring.

Advertisement