Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegas 70.3 WC

Options
  • 02-09-2013 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see the start list here

Who do people fancy? Looking forward to seeing how Ritchie Nicholls, Jan Frodeno & Bevan Docherty go. Is Kienle fully fit going in to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

pgibbo wrote: »
    I see the start list here

Who do people fancy? Looking forward to seeing how Ritchie Nicholls, Jan Frodeno & Bevan Docherty go. Is Kienle fully fit going in to it?

It's wide open isn't it? So not a clue but particularly interested in the former ITU guys especially "The Don". Should be good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Nicholls looks in great form, wouldn't be surprised to see him right in the mix at the end, if he's anywhere close off the bike could be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Great field.

I'll go with El D on this, Tim Don is my pick at this & either Jodie Swallow or Lisa Norden in the womens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Lisa Norden barring a mechanical has this in the bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Lisa Norden barring a mechanical has this in the bag!

I'm not so sure...

Since her early season 70.3 wins, she's been injured and not as consistent it seems.
    Not a great showing in Stockholm but could easily have been going easy.
    Pulled out of Hy-Vee at the weekend also on race morning for some reason... I know she's stated she wants to win World Champs in each distance so Vegas would be her aim, but Hy-Vee she won last year and $100k for winner is hard to see her pulling out but for an issue.

I still see her as a contender - and suspect a battle with Cave, Haushchlid, Luxford, Ryf and Williamson.

For the mens, I'm really looking forward to seeing Ritchie Nicholls.
    His run of 1:08 with Jan Frodeno in Wiesbaden was unreal.
    No the course wasn't short!!

So many possibles...

- Jan Frodeno - ran faster than Nicholls in Wiesbaden but officials lost his T2 bag and he lost over 1 min there not his fault - cost him the win.
    We know he will swim front pack, he can bike there too and run is top drawer.

- Crowie, Kienle, Bozzone, Potts, Docherty, Nicholls, Tim Don and Ivan Rana.

Take your pick!

I will be watching this bad boy live - think coverage is Sunday afternoon from memory.

• Advertisement

Fazz wrote: »
    I'm not so sure...

Since her early season 70.3 wins, she's been injured and not as consistent it seems.
    Not a great showing in Stockholm but could easily have been going easy.
    Pulled out of Hy-Vee at the weekend also on race morning for some reason... I know she's stated she wants to win World Champs in each distance so Vegas would be her aim, but Hy-Vee she won last year and $100k for winner is hard to see her pulling out but for an issue.

I still see her as a contender - and suspect a battle with Cave, Haushchlid, Luxford, Ryf and Williamson.

For the mens, I'm really looking forward to seeing Ritchie Nicholls.
    His run of 1:08 with Jan Frodeno in Wiesbaden was unreal.
    No the course wasn't short!!

So many possibles...

- Jan Frodeno - ran faster than Nicholls in Wiesbaden but officials lost his T2 bag and he lost over 1 min there not his fault - cost him the win.
    We know he will swim front pack, he can bike there too and run is top drawer.

- Crowie, Kienle, Bozzone, Potts, Docherty, Nicholls, Tim Don and Ivan Rana.

Take your pick!

I will be watching this bad boy live - think coverage is Sunday afternoon from memory.

Where can one watch it Fazz?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Where can one watch it Fazz?

They'll have live tv coverage on the ironman.com website.
    Same page as the athlete tracker but with a video and news update feed with regular updates from the course and video shots as well as commentary.

Same for Hawaii though that's a late nighter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

good to see the worlds are actually developing into the race that deserves a world champ tittle ( to be honest iam getting a bit sick with all those races called europran champs etc whic are just normal races)
    Thats a quality field for males and females.

All i know is potts with no chance for a medal in that field.
    from races this year bevan docherty looks like the most certain podium canditate with the first and 2nd placed from wisbaden looking like the guys with the fastest run in the filed , I am interested how bart aernouts will do ( at the same time the paceline might be to long for him to be in contention at the start of the run) .
    female i dont think nordan in top shape and hausschild would be my favorite, and if angela neath in top shape she would be a serious contender and the only one that could outsplit nodan on bike even if nordan was in top shape.

Anyway as I said its a proper world champ and a bit like an Itu race without the brownlees and gomez you would not know who is going to win and make the podium.
    Prize money for a field like that is pathetic IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Any ideas or thoughts on how Robbie Wade will go? Here's hoping he has a good one. He's had a damn good season thus far. It would be great to see him do well this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

At a race at this level if you are not a first or 2nd pack swimmer the train will leave without you. We see this in hawaii where top biker like Ronie schildknecht et all really struggle to make it back into the race after the swim ( but there is not that many people he will have to hide from on the run )

Ps if he keeps improving his swim as he does ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

pgibbo wrote: »
    Any ideas or thoughts on how Robbie Wade will go? Here's hoping he has a good one. He's had a damn good season thus far. It would be great to see him do well this weekend.

+1, hope he goes well, he's in great shape and ready to rock,

and in his own words, "he will be fighting for every spot on the day"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Bozzone and Hauschidlt for me, but it could be one of several it is that stacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Im pretty sure it'll be a recent ITU convert in the mens anyway. A good few to pick from though. Frodeno, Docherty, Nicholls

Coverage in fairness is quite good!

Kienle needs to drop the hammer now if he has any chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Bambaata wrote: »
    Im pretty sure it'll be a recent ITU convert in the mens anyway. A good few to pick from though. Frodeno, Docherty, Nicholls

Docherty in Kona?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    At a race at this level if you are not a first or 2nd pack swimmer the train will leave without you. We see this in hawaii where top biker like Ronie schildknecht et all really struggle to make it back into the race after the swim ( but there is not that many people he will have to hide from on the run ) I

Ps if he keeps improving his swim as he does ...

Why it's so important for Pros to have a weapon like swim. For average, or below average,bike run AGers I'd say it's miss placed focus.

Bozzone and Hauschidlt for me, but it could be one of several it is that stacked.

Close enough, great race by Kienle. Mel is a beast of a lady!

Advertisement