Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough cost of renovation works

Options
  • 02-09-2013 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi,
    Hoping to get a rough cost of a few jobs I need done and also any advice on what way to go about them.

First off it's a 2 storey 2 bedroom terraced house in The Liberties Dublin that has a ground floor extension already built on at the back which houses the kitchen to the left and bathroom to the right.

1. Need to get rid of the bathroom part of the extension so knock it down and build a new exterior wall with window looking out from the kitchen,place a sliding door at the back of the kitchen and replace (old) skylight with velux window or similar.

2. Reinstate the bathroom (the furnishings are all good so we're gonna keep them) upstairs.

3. Convert attic space to storage or office space with stairs coming form the 1st floor landing and 2 velux or similar windows.

4. Install a new gas central heating system on all floors. I'm thinking 5-6 radiators.

5. Knock through 1 supporting wall downstairs from living area to kitchen.

We would be looking to get the SEAI grants for any of the work that can be covered.

How much would we be looking at overall?

Would it be better to employ a builder to carry out all works or find tradesmen myself for each job? I know a plumber who could give me a very good price but if it makes more sense financially and time wise to employ one person
    I would go that route.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I would guess at around 75-80k. Your works are extensive enough to justify An architect and a QS to properly plan and cost them. The works sound too extensive for a novice to supervise too so best to seek a contractor.
    Grants will contribute very little to this project so don't let the tail wag the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SteeveeDee

Thanks sinnerboy for the response. I was guessing around the same, I think I was just hoping for less!

I understand the grants available won't be much either although every little helps at this stage.

I should have mentioned that I have an architect in the family who will be helping out so that's one less thing to worry about and that I can do the labour work myself. Considering this what would be your advice on the hiring front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

You need someone who knows "the overview" . Separate tradesmen might blame each for on site hassles and might run rings around you. Or that is the considerable risk anyway. A half way house solution is to pay an ex foreman type a retainer to visit site 2 of 3 times a week to prevent the "cats away" situation developing.

Nice one, I had envisaged some issues indeed with hiring separate trades. I'll look into both contractors and ex-foremen and see what comes up trumps. If you have any in mind I would be more than obliged if you could send me on a contact or if you could point me in the right direction to a website with points of contact etc.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

I think the only grant you might get is for the heating but price wise wow:eek::eek::eek::eek: is all I can say I would be thinking half that

• Advertisement

650gs wrote: »
    I think the only grant you might get is for the heating but price wise wow:eek::eek::eek::eek: is all I can say I would be thinking half that

Thanks for the input 650gs, Any tips? In terms of labour where do you think I could cut back on price? As I said I can do a lot of it myself and as this would/could be my only input would like to do as much as possible. I'm no pro but I am handy.

Also unfortunately,you're right on the grant front!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 vicar1

Folks, looking for advice !

Looking at buying an old school and renovating as a house - any advice on costs much appreciated. It is 1930s single storey, about 2200sq foot, and we would need to

1. replace most of roof ( slates )
    2. rewire
    3. new heating system and maybe plumbing
    4. board the attic. just for storage
    5. insulate internally ( fairly straightforward rooms, no real nooks and crannies
    6. new windows, about 20 standard size, 10 small ones.
    7. divide some rooms into bedrooms

any ideas ? would intend to use one builder to do the lot

Thanks for any help

Advertisement