Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike license

Options
  • 02-09-2013 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

This is probably a stupid question. but if i have a full car license does that mean I can drive a bike up to 125cc without going through the IBT course ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

This is probably a stupid question. but if i have a full car license does that mean I can drive a bike up to 125cc without going through the IBT course ?

No.

Only way around it is if you have your license pre 2006 then you can ride Mopeds with a maximum speed of 45kph and a maximum n engine size of 50cc

• Registered Users Posts: 8 seanocasey3

Ah damn it ha ha , IBT is abit of hassle and added cost, Oh well cheers for the answer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ah damn it ha ha , IBT is abit of hassle and added cost, Oh well cheers for the answer

......that will make you a better/more aware motorcyclist and also possibly save your life one day.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I got my learner permit in 2010 prior to the introduction of the IBT. It lapsed last year. Am I right in saying that if I go for a renewal now, I'm not required to do the IBT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I got my learner permit in 2010 prior to the introduction of the IBT. It lapsed last year. Am I right in saying that if I go for a renewal now, I'm not required to do the IBT?

You'd be right. All the new rules are applicable for first time applicants only

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    ......that will make you a better/more aware motorcyclist and also possibly save your life one day.;)

I know what your saying but I personally don't need it, guess il just have to do it so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I know what your saying but I personally don't need it, guess il just have to do it so

Yes, yes you do.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭HamSambo

Yes you do need it if you're applying for a learner permit. Just because you're qualified to drive a car it dosent mean your skill/habit will transfer across to the bike. I currently drive articulated trucks through 17 different countries but still had to do my IBT and never once proclaimed to the instructor that i knew it all, because I didnt and I enjoyed the course.

A motorcycle does not care for arrogance, dont tempt fate :D

HamSambo wrote: »
    Yes you do need it if you're applying for a learner permit. Just because you're qualified to drive a car it dosent mean your skill/habit will transfer across to the bike. I currently drive articulated trucks through 17 different countries but still had to do my IBT and never once proclaimed to the instructor that i knew it all, because I didnt and I enjoyed the course.

A motorcycle does not care for arrogance, dont tempt fate :D

Only person being arrogant here is you... Assuming you know something about my level of bike experience /skill when you know nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Only person being arrogant here is you... Assuming you know something about my level of bike experience /skill when you know nothing

And what experience do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Think its fair to assume someone without a bike licence or any knowledge of the current licencing system has little or no recent biking experience.

I've used my bike every day for the past six years or so and I am in no doubt whatsoever that I would benefit from further training. When funding allows I will be doing just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭rat_race

An online forum is much more useful to the OP and future readers, when posters make an effort to answer the question, instead of filling it up with high-horse opinions based on totally unfounded assumptions.

None of you have any idea whatsoever what biking experience Sean has, in this country or any other. And that's not an assumption, as Sean said it himself.

Advertisement