Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seattle Seahawks Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

TheDoctor wrote: »
    I was thinking it may help keep his salary down. A back to back SB winning QB would probably put a few more $$$ on a contract.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. He is a fantastic athlete but a limited QB, and really this entire team is built around his strengths. You could probably slot Sanchez, Newton, Kaepernick and a few others in there and not see the team's potency drop all that much. For that reason you simply can't justify giving him an elite-level contract.

However back to back Superbowls and a game-winning drive in the second win would have made it a lot harder to turn down his demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

So where on the list do we think we should drop Wilson in with his new contract?
    Who do we think he should be paid about the same as?

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2014/

A few outliers on that list, with guys getting way more (Cutler - 18.5m) and way less (Brady - 15m) than their value.

I'd be happy with anything south of 15m tbh. Or else give Sanchez 3-4m and rebuild around him?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Wilson shouldn't have much of a cap hit on his new contract in year 1.

He will likely get a high "Headline" number such as $140m over 6 years or whatever it is. But that is largely irrelevant. What you are looking for is how much is guaranteed in each year.

I'd imagine he'll get a large signing bonus (which for cap purposes is pro-rated over the life of the contract) and a low year one salary. In years 2 and 3 his salary will likely increase. and in years 4-6 it will be off the scale. You would expect the seahawks to structure the contract such that they could bail on Wilson after 3 years if it is not working out.

In any case I don't think you guys will see a massive Cap number for Wilson next season.

Wilson is so astute with his public image, I really think we'll see him take a fairly modest deal - "all about the team, making amends for my mistake" etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Wilson is so astute with his public image, I really think we'll see him take a fairly modest deal - "all about the team, making amends for my mistake" etc etc.
    On the flip side, mobile quarterbacks are notoriously fragile, so I could see Wilson looking for a big deal to cash in in case of any of any future injury

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Shedite27 wrote: »
    On the flip side, mobile quarterbacks are notoriously fragile, so I could see Wilson looking for a big deal to cash in in case of any of any future injury

Yeah, although he's less reliant on his pace than kap or rg iii, the latter would have to be the kind of cautionary tale that gives guys like Wilson nightmares.

and what sort of an offer do we throw at Beast Mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

and what sort of an offer do we throw at Beast Mode?

Enough to get one more year out of him at least. Unless there's a massive shift of tactics, he's vital to us.

I imagine Russell's agent will argue the figures they've been talking about are based on his body of work and shouldn't be affected by the SB result. It would be nice, but I can't see him taking less now.

I'm sure PC and JS will have a price in mind that they won't go over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Do you reckon Wilson going to spring training with the Rangers is leverage? Would you think he would have done this if he won the superbowl?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

bruschi wrote: »
    Do you reckon Wilson going to spring training with the Rangers is leverage? Would you think he would have done this if he won the superbowl?

Not sure what kind of leverage it would give him? He'll never earn in baseball(where he's basically unproven) what he will as an NFL quarterback, not alone in wages but in endorsements, media profile etc, so wouldn't imagine a bit of working out at baseball is much of a threat far as the Seahawks are concerned. I'd imagine doing the baseball thing is just a way of giving more media exposure, keeping himself in the public eye a little etc (also for some reason fans are always fascinated to see a player from one sport take part in another).

Pretty sure this isn't the first time he's done it - he has trained with the rangers at least once if not twice before.

Bleacher Report claiming that Suh wants to play with the Seahawks.

Little to no chance of it happening though.

Talk that Wilson's contract could be as low as $16m per year, but they will guarantee the whole thing. 7 years guaranteed for around $112m.

I think that's a pretty solid risk worth taking. I'm sure they can insure against injury, and Wilson doesn't strike me as the sort of character to lose motivation if he has 7 years pay guaranteed.

Plus side for Wilson is that he would have the record of the highest ever guaranteed contract in NFL history.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I think that's a pretty solid risk worth taking. I'm sure they can insure against injury, and Wilson doesn't strike me as the sort of character to lose motivation if he has 7 years pay guaranteed.
    They can insure against the expenditure, but not the cap space.

Still probably worth taking, he'd be looking at 22-23m otherwise!

Schneider has described the contract for Wilson as thinking outside the box

Wilson + Lynch + the bulk of the defence + some more offensive flair would make me fairly confident going into the new season. Hopefully the Wilson deal can pave the way for the rest.

Messages have been more negative in relation to Lynch the last day or two

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Greater is coming

http://vimeo.com/119362723

• Advertisement

That's the first time I've seen a replay of that intercept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Do you reckon Wilson going to spring training with the Rangers is leverage?

He did this last year. He was drafted by the Rangers who spent a late draft pick on him.

The Rangers got media attention for their franchise and sold merchandise while Wilson also got media attention, everyone wins

OU812 wrote: »

I deeply resent mawkish motivational vignettes, but that was actually quite decent.

And with the 31st pick of the draft the Seahawks select......?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

And with the 31st pick of the draft the Seahawks select......?

I know this may sound insane for a 33 year old WR, but trading it for Andre Johnson would make me very happy.

Cjs21 wrote: »
    I know this may sound insane for a 33 year old WR, but trading it for Andre Johnson would make me very happy.
    I think the standard of rookie WR's these past few years would lead me to prefer to use the pick to draft a WR.

They'll trade down. I've almost come to automatically forget a first round pick at this stage.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I think the standard of rookie WR's these past few years would lead me to prefer to use the pick to draft a WR.

Yeah if we could bag a Beckham or Watkins it would be great, then again Johnson will more than likely not get a trade and go as a free agent.

With Lynch signed on a 2 year extension and the huge salary of Zach Miller off the books this team could shape up to be one of the best ever next year. Space for a great TE (Thomas maybe?) and a WR (Andre Johnson?) that is one scary looking Offense, no major casualties on Defence yet either. I'm getting excited already and it's still so long away.

• Advertisement

I hadn't seen the Beast news -- that's fantastic! It does give a very solid foundation now to improve the offense.

Advertisement