Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I miss UCD

Options
  • 02-09-2013 5:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2

This is my first year out of UCD in, well, ...10 years. Last year I completed another degree at night. It's September now and I want to keep going into UCD and do another course at night (I'm working full-time). I just love learning new things, and I love the challenge of new courses and exams. However, having lived the "dream" (ahem!) last year I realised by February I was absolutely exhausted getting up at 6:30am for work and being in UCD until 9:30pm two nights a week, and having my weekends consumed with course work. For the first time, I hated my course (even though I loved, and love more than ever, the subject). Exhaustion conquered love.

So now I'm taking a break after years of courses on top of full-time work. Still, I really do miss the place. Everything from my lecturers to the staff in the Arts Café and the shop and, especially, the library (even though there was a fair few grumps there). Overall, there was so much kindness. The best memories of my life are still in UCD surrounded by books and ideas. My mind was opened in so many ways. I actually think I might do another course, when I recover from the last one, in librarianship... :eek:

Does anybody else miss UCD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

What they don't tell you is the real life is crap. Don't let them make you leave college.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

Xqh0JcP
    I took this picture a few months ago after seeing it on a bulletin board in UCD ;)
    http://imgur.com/Xqh0JcP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Yeah I do miss the place, which is funny as I couldn't wait to leave by the end (couldn't believe I got a high grade for my thesis as I had basically been on auto-pilot in the last 2 weeks).

Might look into doing a night course sometime down the line, but I'd only be really interested in continuing in my field and I don't think they'd let you do a PHD at night/part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Yeh I'm with ya OP. Finished my masters thesis over the summer and currently contemplating the prospect of not being in UCD anymore, a place that has meant a lot to me over the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Riamfada wrote: »
    What they don't tell you is the real life is crap. Don't let them make you leave college.
    This time next year I'll have been in UCD for a third of my life. I literally have no idea how the hell I will function if I end up in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

theretheir wrote: »
    This is my first year out of UCD in, well, ...10 years. Last year I completed another degree at night. It's September now and I want to keep going into UCD and do another course at night (I'm working full-time). I just love learning new things, and I love the challenge of new courses and exams. However, having lived the "dream" (ahem!) last year I realised by February I was absolutely exhausted getting up at 6:30am for work and being in UCD until 9:30pm two nights a week, and having my weekends consumed with course work. For the first time, I hated my course (even though I loved, and love more than ever, the subject). Exhaustion conquered love.

So now I'm taking a break after years of courses on top of full-time work. Still, I really do miss the place. Everything from my lecturers to the staff in the Arts Café and the shop and, especially, the library (even though there was a fair few grumps there). Overall, there was so much kindness. The best memories of my life are still in UCD surrounded by books and ideas. My mind was opened in so many ways. I actually think I might do another course, when I recover from the last one, in librarianship... :eek:

I'm sorry , your either completely barmy or you are a Troll of some kind. Perhaps a business Troll. And I say that because I've been to UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

theretheir wrote: »

become a lecturer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

colossus-x wrote: »
    I'm sorry , your either completely barmy or you are a Troll of some kind. Perhaps a business Troll. And I say that because I've been to UCD.
    Watch it. Insulting people just because they disagree with you is not very nice. Surprisingly, different people can have different experiences of the same place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I left UCD seven years ago but I still miss it. I'd love an excuse to go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

colossus-x wrote: »

This might just blow your mind but some students actually genuinely enjoy(ed) their time in UCD. I'd happily consider myself one of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement