Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football and hurling All Stars 2013

• 02-09-2013 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭

so, with all but one game left now in both codes, anybody hazard a guess at what the final 15's will be if players continue on in form and both finals are fairly close?

normally the final changes a few things, but surely 11 or 12 positions are already sorted in both teams.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

Hurling my 2 Cents worth

Anthony Nash - Cork
    Paul Murphy -KK / Ritchie McCarthy - Limerick
    David McInerney - Clare
    Shane O'Neill - Cork
    Patrick Donnellan - Clare
    Liam Rushe - Dublin
    Gavin O' Mahoney - Limerick / Pat O' Connor - Clare
    Lorcan McLoughlin - Cork
    Tony Kelly - Clare
    Conal Keaney - Dublin
    Seamus Harnedy - Cork
    Danny Sutcliffe - Dublin
    Podge Collins - Clare
    Pat Horgan - Cork
    Colin Ryan - Clare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Off the top of my head..... (bound to leave someone obvious out) and obviously dependent on the finals too.

Football:
    Cluxton
    Cunniffe Cafferkey Higgins
    McCaffrey Vaughan Boyle
    O'Shea O'Shea
    Mackey Cooper Cavanagh
    O'Connor Freeman McManus

I would say that's fair enough...although if Dublin win, they're obviously going to get more than 2. The likes of Flynn, Brogan, Kilkenny, Connolly, O'Sullivan, McAuley all have chances but I found it hard to include them ahead of those mentioned..... good performances in the final could do it. Possibly Seamie O'Shea out, with Cavanagh to midfield and Flynn to half-forward. I included Mackey and McManus as I definitely believe they deserve a spot..... possibly missed out some other obvious one from a non semi-finalist.

Hurling:
    Nash
    O'Neill McCarthy McInerney
    Donnellan Rushe O'Connor
    Kearney Kelly
    Keaney Collins Ryan
    Horgan Harnedy Dotsy(?)

McInerney needs a good performance in the final to get the corner-back spot, other contenders are Kelly, O'Sullivan and Murphy.
    Neither wing-back slots are certain with Bugler, GOM, Joyce, Egan all in with a good shout imo.
    Colm Galvin and Lorcan McLoughlin, as well as Dodge have an outside shot for midfield.
    Fight between Keaney and Sutcliffe for a single slot imo.

And there is one forward spot up for grabs, they might push Collins inside ahead of Dotsy, I suppose, and name Keaney/Sutcliffe/James Ryan/Cronin or someone like Honan, McGrath, Lehane could put up their hand in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This thread should be split as a lot care less for the other code.

Anyway from a Mayo football perspective I think they should get all the 6 backs, but they won't so I'd expect at least Caferkey, Higgins, Keegan and Vaughan

I'd expect AOS to get one,and Cillian O' Conor should get one in the forwards, if Freeman has a good final he may get one also.

I'd expect Sean Kavanagh to get the other midfield spot, as the beaten semi-finalists usually get at least one, Cooper to get one also, and the rest to be made up of Dubs, and Dunne from Cavan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

Ya I think Mayo should have the 6 backs as it stands McCaffrey will prob sneak one though...

AOS and Sean cav would be my mid, SOS very unlucky. McAuley could get it yet though

Gooch, COC, Freeman, Flynn as it stands Dunne probably will yes, can't think of other really maybe a good final by Dillon/Connolly/ Mannion or someone although AD really shouldn't but often a good final performance can be enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭Trained Monkey

When is the all-stars night on?

• Advertisement

Hurling nominations released

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/3/0210132246-gaa-gpa-hurling-all-stars-nominations-sponsored-by-opel/

Goalkeepers
    Anthony Nash (Cork)
    Patrick Kelly (Clare)
    Gary Maguire (Dublin)

Fullbacks
    David McInerney (Clare)
    Domhnall O'Donovan (Clare)
    Richie McCarthy (Limerick)
    Tom Condon (Limerick)
    Peter Kelly (Dublin)
    Shane O'Neill (Cork)
    Conor O'Sullivan (Cork)
    Paul Murphy (Kilkenny)
    Tomás Waters (Wexford)

Halfbacks
    Brendan Bugler (Clare)
    Patrick Donnellan (Clare)
    Liam Rushe (Dublin)
    Michael Carton (Dublin)
    Brian Murphy (Cork)
    Wayne McNamara (Limerick)
    Gavin O'Mahony (Limerick)
    Kieran Joyce (Kilkenny)
    Michael Walsh (Waterford)

Midfield
    Conor Ryan (Clare)
    Colm Galvin (Clare)
    Joey Boland (Dublin)
    Paul Browne (Limerick)
    Daniel Kearney (Cork)
    Kevin Moran (Waterford)

Half Forwards
    Tony Kelly (Clare)
    John Conlon (Clare)
    Colin Ryan (Clare)
    Séamus Harnedy (Cork)
    Patrick Cronin (Cork)
    Conal Keaney (Dublin)
    Danny Sutcliffe (Dublin)
    James Ryan (Limerick)
    Eoin Larkin (Kilkenny)

Full-forwards
    Pádraic Collins (Clare)
    Conor McGrath (Clare)
    Shane O'Donnell (Clare)
    Patrick Horgan (Cork)
    Conor Lehane (Cork)
    Paul Ryan (Dublin)
    David O'Callaghan (Dublin)
    Graeme Mulcahy (Limerick)
    Richie Hogan (Kilkenny)

Nominees for Player of Year
    1. Tony Kelly (Clare)
    2. Anthony Nash (Cork)
    3. Pádraic Collins (Clare)

Nominees for Young Player of the Year
    1. Tony Kelly (Clare)
    2. David McInerney (Clare)
    3. Padraic Collins (Clare)

County-by-County Breakdown
    Clare - 13
    Cork - 9
    Dublin - 9
    Limerick - 7
    Kilkenny - 4
    Waterford - 2
    Wexford - 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

How mulchay ,cronin and lehane got nominated is strange,not consistent enough.

Nash,harnedy and horgan for cork .Cant see kearney getting one,and murphy has tough opposistion at half back.

He should be nominated as a corner back.

Hard to c him getting it,our connor sul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Pandiani

From a Limerick point of view Richie McCarthy is our only realistic hope of getting one in my opinion. I think Stephen Walsh had a better year than Tom Condon and should have been nominated instead. Wayne Mac, Gavin O'Mahony and James Ryan deserve nominations but no chance of getting awards. Neither Paul Browne nor Graeme Mulcahy should have been nominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

My 15 below:

Goalkeeper
    Anthony Nash (Cork)

Fullbacks

Peter Kelly (Dublin)

Halfbacks
    Brendan Bugler (Clare)
    Liam Rushe (Dublin)

Midfield

Colm Galvin (Clare)
    Joey Boland (Dublin)

Half Forwards
    Tony Kelly (Clare)
    Patrick Cronin (Cork)
    Conal Keaney (Dublin)
    )

Full-forwards

Shane O'Donnell (Clare)
    Patrick Horgan (Cork)
    Paul Ryan (Dublin)

1. Tony Kelly (Clare)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

If Shane O'Neill gets one then it's all a cod.

Edited to add: Also, if Kelly or Collins get hurler of the year, they also have to get young hurler of the year. Doesn't make sense otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    My 15 below:

Goalkeeper
    Anthony Nash (Cork)

Fullbacks

Peter Kelly (Dublin)

Halfbacks
    Brendan Bugler (Clare)
    Liam Rushe (Dublin)

Midfield

Colm Galvin (Clare)
    Joey Boland (Dublin)

Half Forwards
    Tony Kelly (Clare)
    Patrick Cronin (Cork)
    Conal Keaney (Dublin)
    )

Full-forwards

Shane O'Donnell (Clare)
    Patrick Horgan (Cork)
    Paul Ryan (Dublin)

1. Tony Kelly (Clare)

They may be yours but I would be shocked if that's anywhere near the actual team. Take off those blue glasses :p:p

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    They may be yours but I would be shocked if that's anywhere near the actual team. Take off those blue glasses :p:p

lol, you noticed. I think the break down will be more like

7 - Clare
    4- Cork
    3- Dub
    1- AN Other

Cant really see anything else.

lol, you noticed. I think the break down will be more like

7 - Clare
    4- Cork
    3- Dub
    1- AN Other

Cant really see anything else.

Would you not think Sutcliffe has a better chance than Keaney? I have Sutcliffe on my team but not Keaney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

My 15 below:

Goalkeeper
    Anthony Nash (Cork)

Fullbacks

Peter Kelly (Dublin)

Halfbacks
    Brendan Bugler (Clare)
    Liam Rushe (Dublin)

Midfield

Colm Galvin (Clare)
    Joey Boland (Dublin)

Half Forwards
    Tony Kelly (Clare)
    Patrick Cronin (Cork)
    Conal Keaney (Dublin)
    )

Full-forwards

Shane O'Donnell (Clare)
    Patrick Horgan (Cork)
    Paul Ryan (Dublin)

1. Tony Kelly (Clare)

No way ,should cronin who has been outscored from play in the year ,by harnedy and in the two finals,get one ahead of him.

Cronin has been ill,but harnedy has been consistent and magnificent with 1-13 from play,and corks best player in the two finals with Nash.

Ryan ahead of podge ,no way.

O donovan would not deserve one ahead of mclirney.And no way,kearney ahead of sutcliffe.

They would be sum outcry if that was the team.

Dublin and limk will both get the same number of awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

First time since 2002 Tommy Walsh not on the list I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

My full back line would be

Paul Murphy Richie McCarthy Michael Cahill

Nobody was nearly as good as those three.

1. Surprised Cian Dillon isn't there. Did Tomás Waters really have a better year than Dillon?

2. Shane O'Neill was almost nailed-on before the replayed final, now it would be a big surprise if he got it. McInerney, on the other hand, has really laid down a claim, and should get one alongside McCarthy. Conor O'Sullivan still has a chance, I think....a lot of people favour O'Donovan, Condon deserved a nomination, Murphy could get it, he was immense.

3. Don't think Murphy could realistically have got one at corner-back, and is unlikely on the wing.

4. No Pat O'Connor? Had a super year.

5. Conor Ryan in midfield, when his standout performance were at half-back? Think Paul Browne did deserve a nomination, but can only really see him getting it if they feel they have to give Limerick a 2nd.

6. Tony Kelly at half-forward? When it was at midfield that drove Clare on to the next level? Because of the nominations, looks nailed on to be Kelly/Ryan/Harnedy.

7. A lot of people were mentioning Sutcliffe, I honestly thought Keaney was better, particularly against Galway...but I can't see them getting one ahead of the afore-mentioned 3.

8. Collins in the full-forward line...when did he play there? If the All-Star committee go by numbers, Cork should have stuck a number 15 jersey on Brian Murphy and he'd have got an all-star no bother.

9. Weird that Mulcahy got a nomination this year, but not last year, when he deserved to be on the team. Not totally undeserved, his year was very underrated, but he has no chance of getting one. Kinda surprised Hannon wasn't nominated- had a shocking semi-final, but the media hype before that could have got him one.

10. So, Collins and Horgan are nailed-on inside. Toss-up for the last position... can see it going to Dotsy to give the Leinster Champions a 2nd. While he was poor enough against Cork, he was electric against Galway and KK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Kind of happy in a perverse way that Tipp have got no nomination considering our collective performance throughout the year, but on a personal note Michael Cahill's exclusion is a shocker, Tomas Waters ffs.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    1. Surprised Cian Dillon isn't there. Did Tomás Waters really have a better year than Dillon?

2. Shane O'Neill was almost nailed-on before the replayed final, now it would be a big surprise if he got it. McInerney, on the other hand, has really laid down a claim, and should get one alongside McCarthy. Conor O'Sullivan still has a chance, I think....a lot of people favour O'Donovan, Condon deserved a nomination, Murphy could get it, he was immense.

3. Don't think Murphy could realistically have got one at corner-back, and is unlikely on the wing.

4. No Pat O'Connor? Had a super year.

5. Conor Ryan in midfield, when his standout performance were at half-back? Think Paul Browne did deserve a nomination, but can only really see him getting it if they feel they have to give Limerick a 2nd.

6. Tony Kelly at half-forward? When it was at midfield that drove Clare on to the next level? Because of the nominations, looks nailed on to be Kelly/Ryan/Harnedy.

7. A lot of people were mentioning Sutcliffe, I honestly thought Keaney was better, particularly against Galway...but I can't see them getting one ahead of the afore-mentioned 3.

8. Collins in the full-forward line...when did he play there? If the All-Star committee go by numbers, Cork should have stuck a number 15 jersey on Brian Murphy and he'd have got an all-star no bother.

9. Weird that Mulcahy got a nomination this year, but not last year, when he deserved to be on the team. Not totally undeserved, his year was very underrated, but he has no chance of getting one. Kinda surprised Hannon wasn't nominated- had a shocking semi-final, but the media hype before that could have got him one.

10. So, Collins and Horgan are nailed-on inside. Toss-up for the last position... can see it going to Dotsy to give the Leinster Champions a 2nd. While he was poor enough against Cork, he was electric against Galway and KK.

You make some good points Fireball particularly regarding the positions of Conor Ryan, Tony Kelly and Podge Collins. Couldn't agree with you re Browne or Sutcliffe though. I thought Browne had a poor year and he actually played his best game against Clare. Sutcliffe was Dublins best player I thought but its all about opinions! Other than that would agree with everything else you said. Very good post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Nash

McInerney McCarthy Kelly

Bugler Donnellan Rushe

ConorRyan Kearney

Harnedy Kelly ColinRyan

Collins Horgan McGrath

8 Clare
    4 Cork
    2 Dublin
    1 Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

There's a couple of bizarre nominations as per usual.

Quite surprised that Michael Cahill didn't get nominated. Fair enough Tipp got knocked out early on, but Cahill was as good as any other corner back in the championship. Shane O'Donnell getting a nomination after only playing one match, I dunno it just doesn't sit right with me. I think the MOTM award for the replay was enough of a reward imo.

From a KK point of view, Paul Murphy and Kieran Joyce deservedly got nominations. Richie Hogan I'm not so sure. Yes he scored some valuable points when others around him couldn't, but he was very poor in some matches and had a complete lack of pace compared to other years. I can't believe Eoin Larkin got a nomination. He racked up loads of points because he was our free-taker, but his performances in open play were well below average most of the time. The only exceptions would be in midfield against Tipp and in the 2nd half against Cork.

Tommy Walsh could have sneaked a nomination, he was getting better as the season progressed imo (unlike the rest of the KK team). But the All-Star half back line is so so competitive.

Quite surprised that Michael Cahill didn't get nominated. Fair enough Tipp got knocked out early on, but Cahill was as good as any other corner back in the championship. Shane O'Donnell getting a nomination after only playing one match, I dunno it just doesn't sit right with me. I think the MOTM award for the replay was enough of a reward imo.

O'Donnell did score a goal against Waterford, and against Laois too, I think. Shouldn't get an All-Star based on the AI final alone.

Cahill deserved a nomination though.

From a KK point of view, Paul Murphy and Kieran Joyce deservedly got nominations. Richie Hogan I'm not so sure. Yes he scored some valuable points when others around him couldn't, but he was very poor in some matches and had a complete lack of pace compared to other years. I can't believe Eoin Larkin got a nomination. He racked up loads of points because he was our free-taker, but his performances in open play were well below average most of the time. The only exceptions would be in midfield against Tipp and in the 2nd half against Cork.

Tommy Walsh could have sneaked a nomination, he was getting better as the season progressed imo (unlike the rest of the KK team). But the All-Star half back line is so so competitive.

O'Donnell started at least 3 games anyway. Scored goals v Waterford and Wexford aswell definitely

Fireball07 wrote: »
    O'Donnell did score a goal against Waterford, and against Laois too, I think. Shouldn't get an All-Star based on the AI final alone.

Cahill deserved a nomination though.
    Gerry91 wrote: »
    O'Donnell started at least 3 games anyway. Scored goals v Waterford and Wexford aswell definitely

Yep, apologies lads. O'Donnell did play in a number of matches in the championship. He started against Wexford and scored 1-1. He came on as a sub against Laois and scored 1-0. He came on as a sub against Cork in the Munster semi-final. And he started against Waterford and scored 1-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

He did but he was brutal against Waterford and the goal was one that just broke in front of him, not sure if he actually touched tee ball aside from that and he was taken off straight away after, he was only introduced against Laois and again scored a goal when the game was as good as over, not taking from the chap at all and what he did in the AI was immense but like others I would have serious reservations about his nomination.

He did but he was brutal against Waterford and the goal was one that just broke in front of him, not sure if he actually touched tee ball aside from that and he was taken off straight away after, he was only introduced against Laois and again scored a goal when the game was as good as over, not taking from the chap at all and what he did in the AI was immense but like others I would have serious reservations about his nomination.

Yeah, but who else was there? I think his goalscoring exploits mean he deserves a nomination, there are seriously limited options.

Hannon would have got it if he played well against Clare, maybe Tobin would have too. Canning if he had a big game against Clare, but he didn't.

I don't remember him in these games at all myself in all honesty, I'm just pointing out it wasn't just the final he played in

In fairness Dastardly is aware of this, but quite a lot aren't!

Anyone that gets 6 goals in champ though is surely a huge shout regardless ^^

Anyone that gets 6 goals in champ though is surely a huge shout regardless ^^

yeah that's a particularly valid point this year Gerry91 considering the number of goals per match was lower than in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

2013 All-Ireland Football champions Dublin lead the way in this year's GAA GPA Football All-Stars sponsored by Opel after nominations for this year's award have been confirmed.

The Sky Blue's successful campaign, which ended with a final win over Mayo on September 22, has been rewarded with 12 nominations and is followed by the ten recorded by Mayo.

Monaghan's first Ulster senior title since 1988 saw them receive six nominations. Both of this year's beaten semi-finalists, Kerry and Tyrone landed five and four nominations respectively, while Cavan were next best with three. Cork, Galway, London, Meath and Donegal received one each respectively.

All told only 12 of last year's nominees are included on this year's list of 45. The short list for the Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year Awards were also confirmed by the selection panel.

The senior category includes Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin), Stephen Cluxton (Dublin) and Lee Keegan (Mayo) and the young player category sees Jack McCaffrey (Dublin), Cillian O'Connor (Mayo) and Paul Mannion (Dublin) vying for the award.
    The final selection will be announced live on Friday, November 8 at the All-Star banquet at Croke Park.

Goalkeepers
    Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
    Robert Hennelly (Mayo)
    Rory Beggan (Monaghan)

Full backs
    Rory O'Carroll (Dublin)
    Ger Cafferkey (Mayo)
    Keith Higgins (Mayo)
    Colin Walshe (Monaghan)
    Killian Clarke (Cavan)
    Chris Barrett (Mayo)
    Drew Wylie (Monaghan)
    Cathal McCarron (Tyrone)
    Marc Ó Sé (Kerry)

Half backs
    Conor Gormley (Tyrone)
    Colm Boyle (Mayo)
    Lee Keegan (Mayo)
    Cian O'Sullivan (Dublin)
    Donal Vaughan (Mayo)
    James McCarthy (Dublin)
    Jack McCaffrey (Dublin)
    Dessie Mone (Monaghan)
    James Loughrey (Cork)

Midfielders
    Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin)
    Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)
    Séamus O'Shea (Mayo)
    Darren Hughes (Monaghan)
    Paul Conroy (Galway)
    Anthony Maher (Kerry)

Half forwards
    Seán Cavanagh (Tyrone)
    Colm Cooper (Kerry)
    Cian Mackey (Cavan)
    Paul Flynn (Dublin)
    Diarmuid Connolly (Dublin)
    Donnacha Walsh (Kerry)
    Ciarán Kilkenny (Dublin)
    Matthew Donnelly (Tyrone)
    Lorcan Mulvey (London)

Full forwards
    Bernard Brogan (Dublin)
    James O'Donoghue (Kerry)
    Martin Dunne (Cavan)
    Paul Mannion (Dublin)
    Conor McManus (Monaghan)
    Cillian O'Connor (Mayo)
    Paddy Andrews (Dublin)
    Colm McFadden (Donegal)
    Michael Newman (Meath)

Player of the Year Nominees
    Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
    Lee Keegan (Mayo)

Young Player of the Year Nominees
    Jack McCaffrey (Dublin)
    Cillian O'Connor (Mayo)
    Paul Mannion (Dublin)

County by county breakdown
    Dublin - 12
    Mayo - 10
    Monaghan - 6
    Kerry - 5
    Tyrone - 4
    Cavan - 3
    Cork - 1
    Galway - 1
    London - 1
    Meath - 1
    Donegal - 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Football All Star nominations, POTY nominations and YPOTY Nominations are out
    Goalkeepers: Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Robert Hennelly (Mayo), Rory Beggan (Monaghan)
    Full-backs: Rory O’Carroll (Dublin), Ger Cafferkey (Mayo), Keith Higgins (Mayo), Colin Walshe (Monaghan), Killian Clarke (Cavan), Chris Barrett (Mayo), Drew Wylie (Monaghan) Cathal McCarron (Tyrone), Marc Ó Sé (Kerry)
    Half-backs: Conor Gormley (Tyrone), Colm Boyle (Mayo), Lee Keegan (Mayo), Cian O’Sullivan (Dublin), Donal Vaughan (Mayo), James McCarthy (Dublin), Jack McCaffrey (Dublin), Dessie Mone (Monaghan), James Loughrey (Cork)
    Midfielders: Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin), Aidan O’Shea (Mayo), Séamus O’Shea (Mayo), Darren Hughes (Monaghan), Paul Conroy (Galway), Anthony Maher (Kerry)
    Half-forwards Seán Cavanagh (Tyrone), Colm Cooper (Kerry), Cian Mackey (Cavan) Paul Flynn (Dublin), Diarmuid Connolly (Dublin), Donnacha Walsh (Kerry), Ciarán Kilkenny (Dublin) Matthew Donnelly (Tyrone), Lorcan Mulvey (London)
    Full-forwards: Bernard Brogan (Dublin), James O’Donoghue (Kerry), Martin Dunne (Cavan) Paul Mannion (Dublin), Conor McManus (Monaghan), Cillian O’Connor (Mayo), Paddy Andrews (Dublin), Colm McFadden (Donegal), Michael Newman (Meath)
    Player of the Year Nominees: Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin), Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Lee Keegan (Mayo)
    Young Player of the Year Nominees: Jack McCaffrey (Dublin), Cillian O’Connor (Mayo) Paul Mannion (Dublin)

Good to see Keegan nominated for POTY even though he will not get it, MDMC will I reckon.
    Cillian should get YPOTY

I think Mayo All stars will be as follows
    Higgins, Barrett, Keegan, Boyle, Aidan O Shea, Cillian O' Conor
    Tough leaving out Vaughan and Cafferkey but there is no way they would get all six backs

Edit : Beat me to it Always_Running

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Although it was expected, you can already see 4 nailed on there with McAuley and A O'Shea in midfield, and Cavanagh and O'Sullivan who have been moved to accommodate them. Not fair imo, although all had great years and at certain times played in other positions, they were all predominately midfielders, and have now been shoehorned into other positions so the selectors wouldn't have a tough decision in midfield. Cian Mackey for example I thought might have had a chance at wing-forward after his and Cavan's great year, but he hasn't a hope now with Cavanagh moved to that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Cavan with three nominations is a big plus for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

No Cooper in the player of the year is a surprise. Was Keegan Mayos best player this year? i would have thought Higgins,Boyle etc were better.

I'd say the winners will be

Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)

Keith Higgins (Mayo)
    Rory O’Carroll (Dublin)
    Colin Walshe (Monaghan)

Colm Boyle (Mayo)
    Cian O'Sullivan (Dublin)
    Lee Keegan (Mayo)

Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)

Seán Cavanagh (Tyrone)
    Colm Cooper (Kerry)
    Paul Flynn (Dublin)

Bernard Brogan (Dublin)
    James O'Donoghue (Kerry)
    Cillian O’Connor (Mayo)

Player of the Year

Young Player of the Year
    Cillian O'Connor (Mayo)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

No Cooper in the player of the year is a surprise. Was Keegan Mayos best player this year? i would have thought Higgins,Boyle etc were better.

Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)

Keith Higgins (Mayo)
    Rory O’Carroll (Dublin)
    Colin Walshe (Monaghan)

Colm Boyle (Mayo)
    Cian O'Sullivan (Dublin)
    Lee Keegan (Mayo)

Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)

Seán Cavanagh (Tyrone)
    Colm Cooper (Kerry)
    Paul Flynn (Dublin)

Bernard Brogan (Dublin)
    James O'Donoghue (Kerry)
    Cillian O’Connor (Mayo)

Player of the Year

Young Player of the Year
    Cillian O'Connor (Mayo)

Looks about right to me although bar one immense performance against Tyrone, Seamus has outperformed Aidan in the middle for me.

Mannion could have won the YPOTY award if he didn't get injured in the final but COC should take it again.

Keegan has been Mayo's best player all year. Consistent 8/10 performances with a superb display in the final. Brilliant footballer.

Don't necessarily agree with moving COS and Cavanagh but the middle third where games are won and lost these days and the two lads were so influential that it would be harsh to leave them out, Cavanagh as an attacking force, COS as Dublin's defensive fire fighter.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be against Keegan getting PotY, I think he's been superb. Bit surprised Gooch wasn't nominated though, outstanding once again.

From that...

-Cluxton will get in goals, especially since he's been nominated for PotY, Hennelly may have run him close.

-Higgins is nailed-on. Other 2 places may have some competition. Surprised Cunnffe isn't there, he's a very solid corner-back imo. Walshe will probably get it in his absence, even though Barrett finished the year excellently. O'Carroll/Cafferkey/Wyle is a very tough battle, Cafferkey probably the least standout of the Mayo full-back line but I reckon he'll just about shade it.

-Keegan surely has to get one, and I'd be shocked if Boyle didn't too, he's been hugely consistent all year. Mone/McCarthy/McCaffrey are just a small bit behind those 2. Vaughan had a very good year, but was probably the weakest of the Mayo line...Cian O'Sullivan had a very good year at midfield, not really at centre-back, but since he's been included here, I reckon he might shade it.

-McAuley a certainty, and favourite for PotY. The other is a straight fight between the O'Shea brothers and I reckon Seamie O'Shea will win out since he had the better performances in the semi-final/final.

-Gooch is nailed-on, and since they've included him here, I think Sean Cavanagh is too. This is probably the toughest line to pick, I thought Cian Mackey was absolutely fantastic for Cavan all through the year, and it would be really harsh not to give him one. But in Paul Flynn and Donnacha Walsh, you have key players for their respective teams. And even Connolly/Mulvey/Kilkenny could feel a little hard done by... If I was picking, I'd give it to Mackey, I think Cavan deserve at least 1 and he was their star man.

-Inside line, Brogan will definitely get one. You'd favour O'Connor to get one after his two hat-tricks. Leaving a fight-out bewteen Mannion, O'Donoghue and McManus to get the last 1. I've always favoured McManus, thought he had a superb year, while others seem to go for O'Donoghue...what counties they play for will play a part...and if Donnacha Walsh doesn't get one, yet Colin Walshe does, then O'Donoghue may be favoured here.

In conclusion:

Cluxton
    Walshe Cafferkey Higgins
    Keegan O'Sullivan Boyle
    McAuley O'Shea
    Mackey Cooper Cavanagh
    O'Connor Brogan O'Donoghue

Mayo- 6
    Dublin- 4
    Kerry- 2
    Tyrone- 1
    Cavan- 1
    Monaghan- 1

It may be unlikely that Mayo get more than Dublin, the All-Star committee may drop off Cafferkey for O'Carroll...possibly O'Connor aswell, include McManus/Mannion. Flynn also will probably get the nod ahead of Mackey if they feel they have to reward the AI champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I must admit I find it strange that so many favour O'Donoghue over McManus in the full-forward line, he was exceptional in Monaghan's Ulster campaign and was their best player in Croke Park. Indeed, only for that tackle, there's a decent chance he may have brought them to a semi.

However I think Walshe is a cert at corner-back and I don't see Monaghan getting two. On performances alone I think both of them would merit a spot but obviously the All-Stars don't always work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Cluxton Nailed on. Hennelly's save from O' Gara in the final was brilliant though.

Higgins Nailed on.
    O' Carroll Despite having weak links either side of him O' Carroll was excellent every game.
    O' Shea Walshe, Barrett, McCarron, take your pick but i can see O' Shea getting the nod.

McCarthy The Mayo HB's are all the rage but McCarthy ahead Boyle and Vaughan for me.
    O' Sullivan My POTY.
    Keegan Nailed on.

MDM Nailed on and will get POTY
    O' Shea I'd pick Seamie all day but Aidan will get it for the training session against Donegal.

Connolly The best of our half forward trio when it mattered. Flynn is one of the most rounded footballers in the country but Kerry did a job on him in the semi and he was quiet in most of the games.
    Cooper Should have been nominated for POTY
    Cavanagh Was the difference for Tyrone more than once.

McManus Great year. Would be nailed on if Cavanagh didn't rob him.
    Brogan Came to the fore when needed most.
    O' Connor I'd prefer to give it to O' Donaghue but the goals won't be ignored.

Dublin: 7
    Mayo: 4
    Kerry: 2
    Tyrone: 1
    Monaghan: 1

I really hope McCaffrey gets YPOTY. Got a bit lost in the final but lit up the league and his goal was the difference against Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Just can't see Mayo getting more so can see McCarthy being selected ahead off Boyle.

Don't agree with moving lads to accommodate them either. Hard to leave lads out but for consistency it would be MDMA and Kavanagh for me in midfield with the mayo lads missing out. They were cleaned out in the final.

MDMA player of the year with O'Connor young player

Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)

Keith Higgins (Mayo)
    Rory O’Carroll (Dublin)
    Colin Walshe (Monaghan)

Colm Boyle (Mayo)
    Cian O'Sullivan (Dublin)
    Lee Keegan (Mayo)

Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)

Seán Cavanagh (Tyrone)
    Colm Cooper (Kerry)
    Paul Flynn (Dublin)

Bernard Brogan (Dublin)
    James O'Donoghue (Kerry)
    Cillian O’Connor (Mayo)

Player of the Year

Young Player of the Year
    Cillian O'Connor (Mayo)

X2 . Agree with that. MDMA for player of the year and COC for young player of the year. Cooper didn't have a great year overall, probably 2 excellent games so probably right he wasn't nominated for player of the year...Surprised Higgins wasn't in the shortlist
    Mackey ahead of Flynn.. No chance

• Advertisement

Disgusting lack of Gooch in POTY nominations. Boyle should be instead of Keegan.

No Freeman and Cunniffe is shocking. Glad to see Conroy get one, Galway's best player by a mile

COS at CB, Higgins at corner and SC at 12 is a cop out nothing else. Johnny Cooper hard done by

My team based on nominations

Cluxton; Barrett, ROC, Higgins; Keegan, Vaughan, Boyle; SOS, MDMC; Flynn, Cooper, Connolly; BB, COC, O'Donoghue

POTY- MDMA YP- Cillian

Will be:

Cluxton, Barrett, ROC, Higgins; Keegan, COS, Boyle; AOS, MDMC; Flynn, Cooper, Cavanagh; BB, O'Connor, O'Donoghue

corny wrote: »

I really hope McCaffrey gets YPOTY. Got a bit lost in the final but lit up the league and his goal was the difference against Cork.

If he does it's a joke. One standout performance in champ and league form is irrelevant

At 1/6 COC will thankfully get it anyway

If Mannion had a big final wouldn't have begrudged him, although COC should have got it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 16 cdarcy89

I may be biased but I'm disgusted Daithi Waters didn't get a nomination. He was immense all year for Wexford. I know that its a tough category to call but it's just a personal opinion.

I'm slightly annoyed that they pick people in positions they didn't play in throughout the year i.e. Keith Higgins, Cian O'Sullivan and Sean Cavanagh. Surely if they stood out enough in the positions they were playing they would receive an All-Star for that position. Sorry for nit picking and taking away from good years football championship.

cdarcy89 wrote: »
    I may be biased but I'm disgusted Daithi Waters didn't get a nomination. He was immense all year for Wexford. I know that its a tough category to call but it's just a personal opinion.

I'm slightly annoyed that they pick people in positions they didn't play in throughout the year i.e. Keith Higgins, Cian O'Sullivan and Sean Cavanagh. Surely if they stood out enough in the positions they were playing they would receive an All-Star for that position. Sorry for nit picking and taking away from good years football championship.

It's not nit picking at all, a very valid point IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

3 games in the early rounds of the Championship will never get you a nomination. He was also in an extremely tough category.

We are all annoyed about the shifting of players. I am from Dublin and don't agree with COS being moved. Either they were good enough in the normal positions or don't deserve an All Star.

The thing is I don't think there would have been many qualms if COS got a midfield position.

They obviously feel they have to accommodate Aidan O'Shea. Similarly they could easily have given Higgins no.12

It's the same every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

No it's a very valid point ... there is an inherent unfairness in the whole process, which is unfortunate. Seeing as how it's topical .. MDM's exclusion from the 2010 All Stars was glaringly wrong .. he lost the midfield spot to Aidan Walsh in what could only have been a charity case to bump the AI winners of the year upto 4 All Stars - Cork received more All Stars in defeat in 2009 than 2010.

Lads with a celtic cross in their arse pocket don't need their achievement rubber stamped with an All Star ... I'd love to see a more representative team named this year and recognise the achievements of the lesser counties .. namely Mulvey, Mackey and young lad Newman with Meath. Ta

Edit .. seeing as how London have never been awarded an AS ... I don't think the opportunity will come around anytime soon again to remedy the situation ... give it to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Dont see why they bother with nominations to be honest....with Cavanagh nominated as a half forward the team is obviously picked. Himself and MDM were the 2 best midfielders all year, and yet it looks like AOS will get one, pretty much based on one performance. Cluxton highlighted his ridiculous lack of mobility, and he done sod all in the semi final either

Dont see why they bother with nominations to be honest....with Cavanagh nominated as a half forward the team is obviously picked. Himself and MDM were the 2 best midfielders all year, and yet it looks like AOS will get one, pretty much based on one performance. Cluxton highlighted his ridiculous lack of mobility, and he done sod all in the semi final either

I think SOS and COS have been more influential all year than Cavanagh

Not taking away from Cavanagh he was outstanding against Kildare, Monaghan and Meath but COS and SOS were brilliant in every game I thought

Funnily enough when I weigh it up Id have AOS as 5th in line here. That Donegal performance was memorable in fairness but he was merely competent for want of a better term in Connacht against mediocre opposition and wasn't impressive at all in final or semi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I think SOS and COS have been more influential all year than Cavanagh

Not taking away from Cavanagh he was outstanding against Kildare, Monaghan and Meath but COS and SOS were brilliant in every game I thought

Funnily enough when I weigh it up Id have AOS as 5th in line here. That Donegal performance was memorable in fairness but he was merely competent for want of a better term in Connacht against mediocre opposition and wasn't impressive at all in final or semi
    I would have to say I seen more of Cavanagh than the dubs so I take your point on board. The Dubs, like Mayo steamrolled opposition in their provinces, which imo amounts to less than a player in tight matches being the difference between winning and losing....value to the team.

I like COS though. I think he would be a better option at CB than Brennan. Reads the game very well and a great man marker when needed, but Cavanaghs value to the Tyrone team outweighs that, for me anyway. Without his influence they wouldnt have got to the semis. Even in defeat, he was still standing out. Mackey with Cavan was the same. MOTM in most of their games, and even against Kerry, he was the only one carrying the game to Kerry. If he was playing with Dublin/Mayo/Tyrone he would IMO be nailed on.

At least we agree that AOS shouldnt get one!! And in the semi and final I would also agree that AOS was outshone by his brother

• Advertisement
Advertisement