Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football and hurling All Stars 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Lads with a celtic cross in their arse pocket don't need their achievement rubber stamped with an All Star ... I'd love to see a more representative team named this year and recognise the achievements of the lesser counties .. namely Mulvey, Mackey and young lad Newman with Meath. Ta

That's a crazy attitude to have imo. The All Star nods award individual excellence. The players who have been brilliant and who have worked so hard all year long, are deserving of that pat on the back. Whether their county win Sam or Liam or not should not disqualify them of that. They have egos and a sense of pride and personal achievement, just like everyone else.

I do think that some players miss out on recognition because they may come from a smaller county that doesn't get much attention from the media, or many games on the telly, or because their county may have gotten knocked out early. That is a shame, but to say that the All Stars should only be given to players who have not won any silverware is a bit mad and it defeats the whole purpose of the All Stars in the first place imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Gerry91 wrote: »
    If he does it's a joke. One standout performance in champ and league form is irrelevant

At 1/6 COC will thankfully get it anyway

If Mannion had a big final wouldn't have begrudged him, although COC should have got it anyway

Ha. You obviously haven't been watching Dublin. This and Johnny Cooper was hard done by. Priceless stuff.

Mannion had one good game all season against an inept Meath defender and went missing in the latter rounds of the championship. McCaffrey was far more impressive throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Anyone that gets 6 goals in champ though is surely a huge shout regardless ^^

Yes, 3 goals in the All-Ireland when the game was in the balance. He actually got 3-3, a huge score.
    The goal v Waterford was crucial, Clare were trailing at the time, hadn't won a Munster match in 5 years, also 1-1 v Wexford, goal v Laois, point in loss v Cork

Also, he scored points v Galway, Waterford & Kilkenny in the league, a goal v Cork.

In addition, he scored in the All-Ireland U21 final.

Anyways, full forwards are generally judged on scores.

So if the question is whether SOD was one of the top 9 full forwards this year, I think he was. Not sure he'll get an All-Star though. Çollins & Horgan are certainties with the other going to McGrath or Lehane, probably McGrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

corny wrote: »
    Ha. You obviously haven't been watching Dublin. This and Johnny Cooper was hard done by. Priceless stuff.

Mannion had one good game all season against an inept Meath defender and went missing in the latter rounds of the championship. McCaffrey was far more impressive throughout.
    I watched every minute of every Dublin match and watched cork and Kerry games twice and was at their final

Mccaffrey was anonymous in the latter two matches, Mannion got injured in the final so it's unfair to measure him on that game.

COC is 1/6 so I'm hardly the only one who thinks he's nailed on if you fancy mccaffrey go ahead you could maybe make a few quid for yourself

Never said cooper should all star just think he's a little unlucky not to get a mention in that he played every game for the AI champs and was solid bar the cork one- had initially slated him after Kerry game but have watched the match in finer detail since and he wasn't near as bad as made out

I thought he'd a competent final- he was right in front of me in first half and I was watching him closely. When you see they've moved Higgins back he can feel a bit hard done by. He's the only ever present along with Brennan and kk in the dub team who didn't get a mention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

^^^ thought they might nominate kk for ypoty just to include him

Mannion is nominated for all star and neither would get young player anyway

I watched every minute of every Dublin match and watched cork and Kerry games twice and was at their final

Mccaffrey was anonymous in the latter two matches, Mannion got injured in the final so it's unfair to measure him on that game. The goal against Kerry and the handy ride he got against Meath was the sum total of Mannions contribution. You're welcome to disagree but McCaffrey has been the more influential player all season. Truth be told Mannion should have lost his place to Rock. Even in cameo he was more influential in the latter stages.

COC is 1/6 so I'm hardly the only one who thinks he's nailed on if you fancy mccaffrey go ahead you could maybe make a few quid for yourself I never said McCaffrey would get it. I said i hope he gets it.

Never said cooper should all star just I know what you said. I quoted you verbatim. think he's a little unlucky not to get a mention in that he played every game for the AI champs and was solid bar the cork one- had initially slated him after Kerry game but have watched the match in finer detail since and he wasn't near as bad as made out

I thought he'd a competent final- he was right in front of me in first half and I was watching him closely. When you see they've moved Higgins back he can feel a bit hard done by. He's the only ever present along with Brennan and kk in the dub team who didn't get a mention I wouldn't disagree. He had a decent final as did Ger Brennan. But there's a big gap between that and saying he was hard done by. The Dublin corner backs have been a glaring weakness all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hurling All-Stars have been decided..... but we won't hear anything official till midnight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Anthony Nash (Cork)
    Richie McCarthy (Limerick)
    Peter Kelly (Dublin)
    David McInerney (Clare)
    Brendan Bugler (Clare)
    Liam Rushe (Dublin)
    Patrick Donnellan (Clare)
    Colm Galvin (Clare)
    Conor Ryan (Clare)
    Séamus Harnedy (Cork)
    Tony Kelly (Clare)
    Danny Sutcliffe (Dublin)
    Podge Collins (Clare)
    Patrick Horgan (Cork)
    Conor McGrath (Clare)

Sutcliffe over Colin Ryan the only thing that could be construed as a shock.

Possibly Peter Kelly over Conor O'Sullivan, but they did concede 5 goals in the final...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Nash and Bugler the only survivors from last year

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

1996 was the last time KK didn't have a single All Stars, and its over 30 years since neither KK or Tipp have had no player selected as an All Star!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

1996 was the last time KK didn't have a single All Stars, and its over 30 years since neither KK or Tipp have had no player selected as an All Star!
    Jesus that is sum statistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

That's 1 All Star for the last 2 Munster Hurling Champions added together,but 15 other allstars went to Munster in the last 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

1981 I believe, it's a knock on effect I guess of the fact that both the League and provincial championships are considered irelevant nowadays. Mickey Cahill was Tipp's best performer all year and for KK I guess Paul Murphy and Richie Hogan can consider themselves unlucky.

8 Clare players is a bit much tbh, Cork only received 3 and as has been shown all year there is absoloutely nothing between the two teams, Daniel Kearney very unlucky to loose out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Clare fully deserved the 8 that were chosen.

Cork never deserved any more bar ,murphy who in 3 games was unreal holding podge and kelly.

Once he was listed at half back he couldnt win it.Should been in the corner.

Kearney was way off an all star.A good year but in 140 minutes of hurling in the finals he was good at best.

Complete rubbish when people say him and lehane should got one.Most of cork will agree,they didnt do enough all year ,werent consistent to win one.

They will win them in the future ,lehane is a certainty.

• Advertisement

Cork never deserved any more bar ,murphy who in 3 games was unreal holding podge and kelly.

Kearney was way off an all star.A good year but in 140 minutes of hurling in the finals he was good at best.

Complete rubbish when people say him and lehane should got one.Most of cork will agree,they didnt do enough all year ,werent consistent to win one.

Well then we very much disagree on what should be taken into consideration for the All stars, this stupid practice of basing the whole team on the the AI final is a joke, the team is supposed to reflect the year. How else could you explain only 2 survivors in a 12 month period??

The All Stars are a farce and have zero credibility at any rate but this highlights it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭sasol

The All Stars are a farce and have zero credibility at any rate but this highlights it further.

Tell us what your All-Star team would have been then ?

sasol wrote: »
    Tell us what your All-Star team would have been then ?

Something more along the lines of -

Nash
    Murphy
    Kelly
    McInnerney
    Bugler
    Rushe
    Cahill
    Donnellan
    Kearney
    Harnedy
    Kelly
    Sutcliffe
    Hogan
    Horgan
    Collins

I think that would be more reflective of a ''Team of the Year'' which this is supposed to be, not a team of the All Ireland series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I'd agree with pretty much all of that. Lehane, in particular, was very disappointing in the Championship (although he did get some fantastic scores at times). It has been a big step up for him and hopefully he'll have learned a lot from it.

I thought Conor O' Sullivan had a very impressive year, but again, the competition in the backs was massive.

Something more along the lines of -

Nash
    Murphy
    Kelly
    McInnerney
    Bugler
    Rushe
    Cahill
    Donnellan
    Kearney
    Harnedy
    Kelly
    Sutcliffe
    Hogan
    Horgan
    Collins

I think that would be more reflective of a ''Team of the Year'' which this is supposed to be, not a team of the All Ireland series.

I disagree.

I mean I don't think the All-Stars are great, but I wouldn't have had Hogan there, and Kelly over McCarthy? Not for me. Is that Mickey Cahill at wing-back, when did he play there? Had a great year, no doubt about that.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I disagree.

I mean I don't think the All-Stars are great, but I wouldn't have had Hogan there, and Kelly over McCarthy? Not for me. Is that Mickey Cahill at wing-back, when did he play there? Had a great year, no doubt about that.

I thought Hogan was excellent in the League and was also KK's only threat upfront in the Championship.

Personally though Ritchie McCarthy's performances were blown out of porportion tbh, he was very good against Tipp for one half and did well against Cork when playing against a forward division containing four players alot of the time, the only recognised FF he marked (Honan) had him in all sorts of bother and as we all know Honan was no where near peak fitness. Kelly IMO is the best FB in the country.

Cahill played a couple of league games in the HB line when Conor O'Mahoney was injured, I thought he was head and shoulders Tipp's standout hurler in 2013.

Actually Browne I felt was the Limerick hurler that was unlucky not to make my team more than McCarthy, but its all opinions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

As a KK man, I can tell you that Richie Hogan did not deserve an All-Star or would anyone down here expect him to be. Our only hope was Paul Murphy, and to be honest, he could not complain at losing out to anyone in that fullback line. I actually think that the selection has been the fairest for many a year. Usually there's somebody that can be omitted that was deserving of one but on this occasion, nobody springs to mind. The best hurlers were picked

phkk wrote: »
    As a KK man, I can tell you that Richie Hogan did not deserve an All-Star or would anyone down here expect him to be. Our only hope was Paul Murphy, and to be honest, he could not complain at losing out to anyone in that fullback line. I actually think that the selection has been the fairest for many a year. Usually there's somebody that can be omitted that was deserving of one but on this occasion, nobody springs to mind. The best hurlers were picked

So you can hand on heart tell me that Conor Ryan deserves an all star, and just to completley take the piss put in a position he never played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

So you can hand on heart tell me that Conor Ryan deserves an all star, and just to completley take the piss put in a position he never played?

Can anyone say Conor Ryan deserves one more than Colin Ryan??
    :confused:

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Can anyone say Conor Ryan deserves one more than Colin Ryan??
    :confused:

I genuinely wondered did they mix the two up, but surely that level of imcompetence is beyond them??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I genuinely wondered did they mix the two up, but surely that level of imcompetence is beyond them??

Thought had occurred to me as well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'm fine with those selections.

Colin Ryan a little unlucky but Sutcliffe was immense for Dublin and deserves to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What about Colin Ryan over Galvin as he played in midfield also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

hawkwing wrote: »
    That's 1 All Star for the last 2 Munster Hurling Champions added together,but 15 other allstars went to Munster in the last 2 years.

I must agree that the AI is becoming more laughable as the years go by.

Relegation playoff: Clare v Cork.

That's where most went, despite both teams losing 1 match each in the championship as well.

And the GAA wonders why no one cares about the league :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Is anyone going to the after party? Interesting idea from the GAA make the players more accesible. Rugby teams always have end of season awards and sell tickets for a lot more than €35.

I wonder will it take off with the GAA?

• Advertisement

Is there actually criteria set out for the selection committee?

As in championship, league, clubs, U21 etc. what is taken into account and what is not?

For example, how do you decide between somebody who only had 2 matches and was excellent in both, and somebody who had 5 matches, and was excellent in, say, 4 out of 5.

If we actually knew what an All-Star award was supposed to represent, it would help.

I'm guessing club is excluded as it would be impossible for any judge to watch every club game across the whole country.
    Should they be expected to watch all U21 games on TV? Or does this discriminate against players over 21?
    What about league games, usually only one is televised and the rest only ahve a highlights round-up.

The fact that players swich positions so much these days, also makes the idea of one player per each position a little outdated.
    I mean, 3 full backs in the full back line etc.

Perhaps judges should be free to create any formation they wish

Is anyone going to the after party? Interesting idea from the GAA make the players more accesible. Rugby teams always have end of season awards and sell tickets for a lot more than €35.

I wonder will it take off with the GAA?

The only reason that has been done is because it is now in Croke Park rather than in CityWest. Wouldn't have minded going to it, but going to the ladies All Stars the following night

All the money is going back into development through the GAA and GPA - its something that could have been done much earlier to be honest, and I'm surprised it wasn't.

There are so many Conors and Colms and Colins and Conlons and Donnellans and O'Donnells I tend to get mixed up myself :pac:

There are so many Conors and Colms and Colins and Conlons and Donnellans and O'Donnells I tend to get mixed up myself :pac:

Just refer to them all as Clare 'Persons' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Congrats to Tony Kelly winning both young hurler and the hurler of the year awards.

Hoping the Gooch gets an All Star.

The All Stars more glamour then The Rose of Tralee :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Delighted they didnt do something silly like give Kelly HOTY and Collins YHOTY, wouldnt have made sense but would have been very GAA

Cluxton doing live interviews far cry from the lad that shot down the tunnel a few years back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Delighted for Rory, well deserved. Class player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

AOS :confused:

The player that didnt turn up for the semi final or final. Token.

Go on the ginger Messi :)

Surprise one in James O Donoghue,we'l take it though,he had a great year.

He gets an All star yet no nomination for Young player

Ah getting greedy now,anyway

Back into the long grass now for the winter :)

People seem to be in meltdown over McCaffrey not getting one, Aidan O'Shea & Rory O'Carroll getting them, Cian O'Sullivan getting one at 6 and Cillian O'Connor getting one.

Don't think McCaffrey deserved one ahead of Keegan or Boyle, who were 2 of the top players in the country this year.
    Don't think O'Shea should have got one, his brother was better than him imo.
    I can see why they gave Cian O'Sullivan one at 6, even though he played very little football there.
    Toss-up between O'Carroll and Cafferkey tbh.

And O'Connor scored a load of goals, but McManus was good all year, very lively. Brogan really stepped up in the big games, he probably played as well in the semi and final as O'Connor did against London and Donegal. And then James O'Donoghue was the really tight call, but he did have a great year.

I can understand their reasoning there.

Biggest loser was Cian Mackey imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Well then we very much disagree on what should be taken into consideration for the All stars, this stupid practice of basing the whole team on the the AI final is a joke, the team is supposed to reflect the year. How else could you explain only 2 survivors in a 12 month period??
    I don't wish to take from Clare's magnificent team and their scintillating performances in 2013, but I have to agree with premierstone on this one.The idea that the 15 best hurlers at any given time come from 4 counties is a farce. The greatest test of a player is playing well on a losing side. In the past counties such as Laois, Antrim and Westmeath got recognition. It's difficult to see that happening now. In fact, if the present trend continues it's possible to see a selection of 13 from the champions and 2 from the runners-up. I heard a prominent official say that the reason for this imbalance is that some of the judges see little during the year beyond the semi-finals and final. Ditto football. Long ago Jimmy Barry-Murphy scored 4 goals in a Railway Cup final ( when the competition was more popular than now ), had a good year besides, and was still denied recognition. So much for saving the Railway Cup! Not many judges at that final, I should think. Incidentally, I expect premierstone will stick to his guns when Tipp next get respectable representation.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    People seem to be in meltdown over McCaffrey not getting one, Aidan O'Shea & Rory O'Carroll getting them, Cian O'Sullivan getting one at 6 and Cillian O'Connor getting one.

McCaffrey and AOS definitely don't deserve All Stars.

Pleased at the picks of the two corner forwards and the goalkeeper but i'd have a different combination in every other line.

feargale wrote: »
    I don't wish to take from Clare's magnificent team and their scintillating performances in 2013, but I have to agree with premierstone on this one.The idea that the 15 best hurlers at any given time come from 4 counties is a farce. The greatest test of a player is playing well on a losing side. In the past counties such as Laois, Antrim and Westmeath got recognition. It's difficult to see that happening now. In fact, if the present trend continues it's possible to see a selection of 13 from the champions and 2 from the runners-up. I heard a prominent official say that the reason for this imbalance is that some of the judges see little during the year beyond the semi-finals and final. Ditto football. Long ago Jimmy Barry-Murphy scored 4 goals in a Railway Cup final ( when the competition was more popular than now ), had a good year besides, and was still denied recognition. So much for saving the Railway Cup! Not many judges at that final, I should think. Incidentally, I expect premierstone will stick to his guns when Tipp next get respectable representation.

Can't really agree, the pressure in an AI sf or final is way more intense, any fool can play well in a non-event league game in March

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Disappointed that Cian Mackey didn't get one but delighted that Colin Walshe and Conor McManus picked up all-stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Given the way the average age of teams now is it not a bit ridiculous that Cillian O'Connor can be nominated given his experience at this level now? While he didn't win it it's just a bit wrong that he could be nominated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Can't figure how O Connor got neither an All Star nor the YPOTY

I was not expecting him to get YPOTY again but I was expecting an All Star for the top scorer in the championship that was on the team that got to the All Ireland final.

James O Donoughe may have flair and speed but did he have a better year than O' Connor in 2013 ?
    I seriously don't think so.

Also did O' Connor miss a free all year ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Can't figure how O Connor got neither an All Star nor the YPOTY

I was not expecting him to get YPOTY again but I was expecting an All Star for the top scorer in the championship that was on the team that got to the All Ireland final.

James O Donoughe may have flair and speed but did he have a better year than O' Connor in 2013 ?
    I seriously don't think so.

Also did O' Connor miss a free all year ?

The fact that he was Championship top scorer is a bit of a red herring given the amount of his scores that came from dead balls.

O'Connor scored nothing from play in the final or semi, and the weighting that the performances have in the final and semi is absolutely massive for the All-Stars.

Also his 6 goals came against London and a Donegal sides that was in utter disarray.

Obviously he still had to convert the frees and put the ball in the back of the net but I can kinda see why he "lost" out.

Edit: Also meant to say that the fact that he had won YPOTY twice already was always going to count against him given the weird sense of "fairness" the All-Stars operates under.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

COC robbed, AOS lucky. 8 points in an AI final regardless if he put them over from play or from frees is still a large haul. All-Stars are beginning to become a little embarrassing at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement