Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Its clear we nee a second striker for sure. But will Wenger buy one in January? Apart from Bendtner we have the three A's. Afobe, Akpom and Ansah. I even think Afobe is on loan somewhere. Bendnter simply isn't an option. Lazy, disinterested and a complete tool. This is not a "Giroud isn't good enough" post by the way.

Anyone else like to see Walcott given a chance up front if anything should happen Giroud? Just with Ozil behind I think it would be awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Papers saying this morning Wenger may go for Ba again this January. Last time Mourinho ruled out selling a striker to a rival! Also Benzema being talked of again too! Him and Ronaldo are becoming quite a good pairing for Madrid right now! It's only recently though and I'm sure Madrid still have an eye on Suarez. Him and Ronaldo together would be out of this world which would leave Benzema a realistic target!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gosplan wrote: »
    Mental exhaustion, fatigue, whatever.

I think that the idea that they're afraid is rather silly and to be honest talksport or daily mail worthy.

Silly simplistic narrative.

It would be silly if we hadn't seen it before. We have.
    When teams play a physical game and crowd us we have no response.
    We need a couple of strong men in the middle. Flamini was clearly unfit. United did that in the first half and left us no time to pick out passes.
    In the second half United retreated and put plenty of men behind the ball. They allowed us have it but knew we wouldn't breach their defence. They had the goal advantage.
    That is a tactic frequently used against us. We can score against most teams who use that tactic but not against the top defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

FearDark wrote: »
    Its clear we nee a second striker for sure. But will Wenger buy one in January?

I'd be thinking he'll almost definately go for either Llorente or Benzema.

I'd prefer Benzema to be honest, I just like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Mental exhaustion, fatigue, whatever.

I think that the idea that they're afraid is rather silly and to be honest talksport or daily mail worthy.

Silly simplistic narrative.

Well I'm sorry but blaming a loss on fatigue for me is the most cringeworthy excuse someone could come up with.

Have a look at this which says professional soccer players suffer from fatigue less and recover in a faster fashion than low level athletes. Both of these state normal levels resume after 48 hours so four days later there would be no sign of fatigue.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21502891

http://www.scienceofsocceronline.com/2011/06/match-fatigue-brain-or-muscle.html

Trust me when I tell you I've done thing a lot more demanding than a football game and been fully recovered four days after.
    Its clear we nee a second striker for sure. But will Wenger buy one in January? Apart from Bendtner we have the three A's. Afobe, Akpom and Ansah. I even think Afobe is on loan somewhere. Bendnter simply isn't an option. Lazy, disinterested and a complete tool. This is not a "Giroud isn't good enough" post by the way.

Anyone else like to see Walcott given a chance up front if anything should happen Giroud? Just with Ozil behind I think it would be awesome.

Well Gazidis has said we will be looking for one and it's obvious Wenger pushed hard in the summer for one but I think it will be hard to get a real quality CF in January no one really wants to sell although have had a few people say we should go for Benzema seems to be a lot of talk he could be gotten.

I'd give Walcott a chance, Podolski, Akpom anyone over Bendtner hate seeing him coming on.

I know the story is nearly a week old but what do people think of Hernandez?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

i'd snap the hand off united if he was available - sure he offers less all round than Giroud - Giroud is one of our best set piece defenders and his hold up play is excellent, but as a poacher Hernandez is lethal. It would also serve to weaken them somewhat. I can't see United going for it to be honest. Although they do owe us after we sold them the skunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Well I'm sorry but blaming a loss on fatigue for me is the most cringeworthy excuse someone could come up with.

Have a look at this which says professional soccer players suffer from fatigue less and recover in a faster fashion than low level athletes. Both of these state normal levels resume after 48 hours so four days later there would be no sign of fatigue.

Trust me when I tell you I've done thing a lot more demanding than a football game and been fully recovered four days after.

Well Gazidis has said we will be looking for one and it's obvious Wenger pushed hard in the summer for one but I think it will be hard to get a real quality CF in January no one really wants to sell although have had a few people say we should go for Benzema seems to be a lot of talk he could be gotten.

I'd give Walcott a chance, Podolski, Akpom anyone over Bendtner hate seeing him coming on.

In terms of attacking options, Remy would have been a brilliant signing back in the Summer. Back then the need wasn't so great as we didn't know we were going to lose Walcott, Ox and Podolski for such a long period.

In terms of recovery, it only needs a very small % of impaired performance to make a big difference on the pitch especially if more than 1 player is impacted. Why are managers so keen on rotation? If recovery warn't an issue every manager would pick his best 11 for every single game.

greendom wrote: »
    In terms of attacking options, Remy would have been a brilliant signing back in the Summer. Back then the need warn't so great ad we dish't know we were going to lose Walcott, Ox and Podolski for such a long period.

In terms of recovery, it only needs a very small % of impaired performance to make a big difference on the pitch especially if more than 1 player is impacted. Why are managers so keen on rotation? If recovery warn't an issue every manager would pick his best 11 for every single game.

I think we would have went for Remy during the summer as a last option kind of thing but by the time we realised Higuain and Suarez deals were dead our options were even less. Remy would have been a good one. Hernandez I'd take but but like Remy ideally I would want someone a step or two above both in terms of quality but in January if we cant get world class someone of there level would be perfect although can't see United being willing to sell to us.

Most manager do pick there best 11 for most matches there's a reason Benitez was often slated for his constant chopping and changing manager's generally pick there best 11 with maybe one or two changes and that is mostly down to tactics. I'm not saying players will never suffer fatigue but at this stage of the season if there suffering fatigue four days after there last game there is big problems there. Later in the season yes in around April if your still fighting on all fronts and its been a long season but in November no way should it be a factor. Them studies above were carried out on professional players.

Were still in a great position and hopefully we get back to winning ways against Southampton who will be far from an easy game, think they currently have the tightest defence in Europe?

Ok if it was down to fatigue then how come our performance improved in the second half? Surely it would have only got worse as the game wore on.

Wenger himself has said we were tentative and nervous in the first half no mention of fatigue.

Were we overly conscientious of conserving energy perhaps? Again no excuse but it could be possible we took a risk in that regard and it didnt payoff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think ye need to keep hands off our little pea :pac:

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

If we do beat Southampton we will have played 4 teams in the top 7 with a record of P4 W3 D0 L1.

Not bad at all, and a vast improvement on recent years. If you throw in the CL results (exact same stats) it shows we have improved vastly against quality opposition.

Some of the doom & gloom is lifting for me, it was selfish really to put extra value in the United game, they're not really in the mix this season, they're up to a season high of 5th after the result, the league games either side of it against 2nd and 3rd and defeating last year's CL finalists away should obviously hold more value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

OK, two questions if you will.

When do we expect fatigue to kick in given a player can't play every match for a season?

Why do the big teams have such poor results following away CL matches?

Good squad player but not the one we need.

I think ye need to keep hands off our little pea :pac:

:(

Ah but ye took RVP... Ye owe us one!

When do we expect fatigue to kick in given a player can't play every match for a season?

Why do the big teams have such poor results following away CL matches?

I never said a player can play every game in a season I said blaming a loss at this early stage of the season on fatigue is wrong, obviously towards the end of a season say April when games are coming thick and fast then it is a possibility not only from game time but from general kicks and bruises during the season begining to take there toll, I said if a player is suffering from fatigue at this stage of the season like you have suggested then we would have big problems.

For every result you could show me a team loosing after a Champions League game I could show you a team who has won after it like United, and lets not discount the opposition. Juventus and Real Madrid played in what would have been considered one of the toughest draws in the last round yet both went on to win there fixtures that weekend no mention of fatigue there.

This getting way to drawn out, we lost to United we should have played better they were there for the taking our performance improved in the second half when if anything it should have diminished had we of been suffering from fatigue. It's not all doom and gloom we lost one game were still top of the league I just wont blame fatigue as the reason it's the easy option to use after a lackluster display that mostly only fans seem to use to diminish the other teams victory.

Were we overly conscientious of conserving energy perhaps? Again no excuse but it could be possible we took a risk in that regard and it didnt payoff

Possibly only Wenger knows really what he set the team up to play. But I can't imagine Wenger setting his team up to play conserving energy for a half but could be wrong.

If anything if we were to get technical could say United suffered from fatigue more than we did as we got into the game more as the game wore on suggesting United tired quicker than we did ;) which would suggest our players are playing at higher level of fitness.

I never said a player can play every game in a season I said blaming a loss at this early stage of the season on fatigue is wrong, obviously towards the end of a season say April when games are coming thick and fast then it is a possibility not only from game time but from general kicks and bruises during the season begining to take there toll, I said if a player is suffering from fatigue at this stage of the season like you have suggested then we would have big problems.

For every result you could show me a team loosing after a Champions League game I could show you a team who has won after it like United, and lets not discount the opposition. Juventus and Real Madrid played in what would have been considered one of the toughest draws in the last round yet both went on to win there fixtures that weekend no mention of fatigue there.

This getting way to drawn out, we lost to United we should have played better they were there for the taking our performance improved in the second half when if anything it should have diminished had we of been suffering from fatigue. It's not all doom and gloom we lost one game were still top of the league I just wont blame fatigue as the reason it's the easy option to use after a lackluster display that mostly only fans seem to use to diminish the other teams victory.

With respect, and I'll finish here, my point is that a European hangover exists and it's particularly pronounced after away matches.

I'm right about that, the stats will back me up that teams pick up less points after Europe.

There is a form of fatigue at work, regardless of whether academic papers say that only 48 hours are needed. This isn't a problem limited to Arsenal.

Soecifically, though we always seem to play poorly after an away European game. Sometimes we get away with it and sometimes we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Possibly only Wenger knows really what he set the team up to play. But I can't imagine Wenger setting his team up to play conserving energy for a half but could be wrong.

If anything if we were to get technical could say United suffered from fatigue more than we did as we got into the game more as the game wore on suggesting United tired quicker than we did ;) which would suggest our players are playing at higher level of fitness.

For Wenger's sake Marty - let it go :D. Yes we were poor and nobody is happy about it. But, they've been brilliant in the last 8 months, So I suppose a couple of off days are allowed....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Reus reportedly has a £30m release clause. Would be a great signing and cover LW and ST where we have issues. Of course there's a good chance he might not be interested but its definitely worth a shot in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

AdamD wrote: »
    Reus reportedly has a £30m release clause. Would be a great signing and cover LW and ST where we have issues. Of course there's a good chance he might not be interested but its definitely worth a shot in January.

Send in agent Rosicky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Reus is amazing, but is he not just another midfielder really? I think its a real top class front man is what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

I don't think we need another midfielder. We need a proper striker who is happy to shoot when he is 12-18 yards from the goal instead of looking to pass it to someone, who is not afraid to take on defenders and who can improvise a bit time and again...May be a clone of King Henry will do... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Lads just imagine it

Reus - Giroud - Cazorla
    Ramsey - Ozil - Arteta
    Gibbs - Kos - Mert - Sagna

Who the **** are the opposing team gona mark now?

With respect, and I'll finish here, my point is that a European hangover exists and it's particularly pronounced after away matches.

I'm right about that, the stats will back me up that teams pick up less points after Europe.

There is a form of fatigue at work, regardless of whether academic papers say that only 48 hours are needed. This isn't a problem limited to Arsenal.

Soecifically, though we always seem to play poorly after an away European game. Sometimes we get away with it and sometimes we don't.
    imtdub wrote: »
    For Wenger's sake Marty - let it go :D. Yes we were poor and nobody is happy about it. But, they've been brilliant in the last 8 months, So I suppose a couple of off days are allowed....

I'm letting it go :), I do like a good friendly debate on here though which doesn't happen to often without descending into name calling by the end :pac:. It's been interesting well for me anyway :o.

Were did you see that? Can't see it happening although in saying that not many of us saw the Ozil deal happening. I would love Reus at Arsenal fantastic player.

• Advertisement

I know Reus is supposed to be great, but is he really a striker.

I still want Suarez, or someone like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ah but ye took RVP... Ye owe us one!

That was payment for Silvestre :p

IvySlayer wrote: »
    That was payment for Silvestre :p

I forgot about Silvestre!

Ye owe us two!

Why do the big teams have such poor results following away CL matches
    ?

By that logic we should be sending the reserves to these games.
    Did United not have as many games as us?
    These are full time professionals and should be up for these games. FFS I often played 3 games in a week myself without getting any money never mind a fortune for it.

Can't find the Under 21 game anywhere for tonight. That's my night ruined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Can't find the Under 21 game anywhere for tonight. That's my night ruined.

Jon Toral seems to be tearing it up since hes come back from that long injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

4-0 up now - Toral(2), Gnabry, Frimpong.

Is it streaming anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Finished 4-2

By that logic we should be sending the reserves to these games.
    Did United not have as many games as us?
    These are full time professionals and should be up for these games. FFS I often played 3 games in a week myself without getting any money never mind a fortune for it.

I give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I often played 3 games in a week myself without getting any money never mind a fortune for it.

I assume you played against similar quality? If not, it doesnt count for anything. We played three of the best teams in Europe in quick succession with a small squad. It's not hard to believe players would be tired. Not just physically, but mentally too.

I give up.

A lot of them did the same.:D

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I assume you played against similar quality? If not, it doesnt count for anything. We played three of the best teams in Europe in quick succession with a small squad. It's not hard to believe players would be tired. Not just physically, but mentally too.

I think we won after beating Napoli too. Maybe they are not up to much then.
    How come we were better in the second half against United if they were so tired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

How come we were better in the second half against United if they were so tired?

They sat back, I think. We still weren't that good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Jesus Christ, they're not saying that it's a sure thing that will lose after every champions league game but surely it has to have some sort of toll either mentally or physically, especially when our injuries limit any rotation.

I'm just throwing this out there... How would ye feel about having Gunnersauras on the bench instead of Bendtner. I feel overall he would offer more than Nicklas and he's one for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm just throwing this out there... How would ye feel about having Gunnersauras on the bench instead of Bendtner. I feel overall he would offer more than Nicklas and he's one for the future.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAkrBLrDPsN2zjrdyoJOmiakSZNyXn53V2WjDDJDLVXfedQSsQNw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

ozil hasn't been left out of the german squad at all - i think they're accessing him though

and he was apparently seen leaving some nightclub on sunday night, mustn't have been that sick so or maybe he was in for a couple of hot whiskeys :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

batistuta9 wrote: »
    ozil hasn't been left out of the german squad at all - i think they're accessing him though

and he was apparently seen leaving some nightclub on sunday night, mustn't have been that sick so or maybe he was in for a couple of hot whiskeys :pac:

Well at least it wasnt Saturday night !!!!!!! :D

Although that might explain a few things :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Why not resign Eduardo for a couple million in January to backup Giroud? From twitter he would love to come back to us and he would be miles ahead of what we have here.

BY9gBEJCMAAC8Xr.png:large

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

That's bizarre. I'd be pissed at losing 20 quid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Seemingly we have a buy back clause for Vela.
    Not that he'd come back.

I personally think we should bid for Muriel from Udinese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

BY9gBEJCMAAC8Xr.png:large

:eek:
    And if the other lad lost he got rid of the wife. He was in a win/win situation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement