Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

i heard on the sunday supplement that marseilles' manager has said they'll be resting players tomorrow night, as they've 8 games in 24 days

an arsenal win & they're practically through, no matter the result of the other game.
    Though i think a 1-0 dortmund win would be the ideal result, that'd enable arsenal to top the group even with a 1 goal defeat in naples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

batistuta9 wrote: »
    i heard on the sunday supplement that marseilles' manager has said they'll be resting players tomorrow night, as they've 8 games in 24 days

an arsenal win & they're practically through, no matter the result of the other game.
    Though i think a 1-0 dortmund win would be the ideal result, that'd enable arsenal to top the group even with a 1 goal defeat in naples
    Still could end up with the scenario of 3 teams equal on 12 points

Still could end up with the scenario of 3 teams equal on 12 points

i know, that above accounts for that exact scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Surely a win for us and a draw in the other game is best for us? Qualifies us there and then. A Dortmund win could see us eliminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Surely a win for us and a draw in the other game is best for us? Qualifies us there and then. A Dortmund win could see us eliminated.

If we win then it doesnt matter to us if Napoli win or draw, we will still need a point in Naples to win the group but yes, you are right, we dont want Dortmund winning

• Advertisement

2ndcoming wrote: »
    ronjo wrote: »
    If we win then it doesnt matter to us if Napoli win or draw, we will still need a point in Naples to win the group but yes, you are right, we dont want Dortmund winning

if arsenal win + napoli draw, then napoli win at home v arsenal, napoli win the group

if all teams are level it goes:
    1 higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
    2 superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
    3 higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
    4 higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question;
    5 If, after applying criteria 1) to 4) to several teams, two teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1) to 4) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the two teams in question to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 6) to 8) apply;
    6 superior goal difference from all group matches played;
    7 higher number of goals scored from all group matches played;
    8 higher number of coefficient points accumulated by the club in question, as well as its association, over the previous five seasons.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_UEFA_Champions_League_group_stage#Tiebreakers

at the minute on GD it's
    arsenal 2
    dortmund -1
    napoli -1
    and assume all end up on 12 points

so if dortmund beat napoli 1-0, arsenal could afford to lose by 1 in naples and top the group

a 1-0 dortmund win is best

also napoli won't beat arsenal by 4 (or 4-0) to overtake them i wouldn't think

if arsenal win + napoli draw, then napoli win at home v arsenal, napoli win the group

if all teams are level it goes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2%80%9314_UEFA_Champions_League_group_stage#Tiebreakers

at the minute on GD it's
    arsenal 2
    dortmund -1
    napoli -1
    and assume all end up on 12 points

so if dortmund beat napoli 1-0, arsenal could afford to lose by 1 in naples and top the group

a 1-0 dortmund win is best

also napoli won't beat arsenal by 4 (or 4-0) to overtake them i wouldn't think

Napoli would only need to beat us by 2 though to get back level
    If these results happened then all of us are back to level.

I would prefer to be guaranteed qualification tomorrow and then lets worry about winning the group in a few weeks.

Napoli would only need to beat us by 2 though to get back level
    If these results happened then all of us are back to level.

I would prefer to be guaranteed qualification tomorrow and then lets worry about winning the group in a few weeks.

yeah i made a mistake with the 4 goals but the rest is right, if dortmund beat napoli 1-0 & arsenal lose by 1 in naples they'd win the group

a win tomorrow all but guarantees it, no matter the other result. when's the last time arsenal lost by 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'm confused.

yeah i made a mistake with the 4 goals but the rest is right, if dortmund beat napoli 1-0 & arsenal lose by 1 in naples they'd win the group

a win tomorrow all but guarantees it, no matter the other result. when's the last time arsenal lost by 3?

I agree its pretty unlikely and with they way other groups are, its pretty important to come first.
    That said, I wouldnt want to take the risk and personally would prefer a Napoli win tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I agree its pretty unlikely and with they way other groups are, its pretty important to come first.
    That said, I wouldnt want to take the risk and personally would prefer a Napoli win tomorrow.

A draw would suit I think, then (provided we win) we will have qualified tomorrow and we would only need a draw in Napoli to top the group (I think)

greendom wrote: »
    A draw would suit I think, then (provided we win) we will have qualified tomorrow and we would only need a draw in Napoli to top the group (I think)

Yes exactly.

you're looking at it short term i think, with arsenal & napoli winning tomorrow and both going through.
    leaving the game in naples as shootout for 1st place, with arsenal having two chances to top the group: win or draw

the reason i want/i think dortmund winning 1-0 is better as it gives arsenal three chances in naples to top the group: win or draw or lose by one

having 3 chances to win the group is better than 2 - do you not think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

you're looking at it short term i think, with arsenal & napoli winning tomorrow and both going through.
    leaving the game in naples as shootout for 1st place, with arsenal having two chances to top the group: win or draw

the reason i want/i think dortmund winning 1-0 is better as it gives arsenal three chances in naples to top the group: win or draw or lose by one

The problem is that that scenario still leaves the possibility of Arsenal getting knocked out. I'd rather that option was no longer applicable, the sooner the beter.

The problem is that that scenario still leaves the possibility of Arsenal getting knocked out. I'd rather that option was no longer applicable, the sooner the beter.

What greendom said.

Can you imagine in Naples Szcz giving a peno away in first ten mins and getting sent off??
    Unlikely of course but I would prefer it not to be a possibility.
    Pirority is
    1. Qualify
    2. Win the group

it doesn't, that exact scenario comes up milhouse

What greendom said.

Can you imagine in Naples Szcz giving a peno away in first ten mins and getting sent off??
    Unlikely of course but I would prefer it not to be a possibility.
    Pirority is
    1. Qualify
    2. Win the group

what he said is wrong but i know what he means & you mean as well

it mightn't be coming across as very clear to you but that's why i'm giving dortmund winning 1-0 & arsenal losing by 1 - exact scores i'm talking about, that exact scenario works out as arsenal winning the group

what he said is wrong but i know what he means & you mean as well

it mightn't be coming across as very clear to you but that's why i'm giving dortmund winning 1-0 & arsenal losing by 1 - exact scores i'm talking about, that exact scenario works out as arsenal winning the group

Oh I realise those two scores means we win the group assuming we beat Marseille.
    I guess we shouldnt really worry about it and just get on with winning tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

First or second isnt as big a deal as some are making out.

I'd expect the following to advance, along with ourselves and Napoli/Dortmund. Obviously we cant face them, or any of the English teams.

Leverkusen
    Madrid*
    Juventus
    PSG
    Olympiacos
    Bayern*
    Schalke
    Atletico Madrid*
    Zenit/Porto
    Barcelona*
    AC Milan/Ajax/Celtic

*likely to finish top of their group.

It may be slightly easier but we could still end up against someone like Juventus. If we're looking to win it, we have to play them at some point. I think we got Madrid in the second round the year we made it to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gus99

I would prefer a comfortable BD win to a narrow one-goal win. The latter keeps Napoli in the hunt - beat us by a couple in the final game and we are in trouble. If BD win say 3:0 that all but puts Napoli out on goal difference, given they lost by 2 against us at the Emirates (this is of course assuming Marseille lose their two games). So as well as more or less guaranteeing qualification tomorrow, it may be easier for us to get a result in Naples and hence top the group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I don't really care what happens in the Napoli - Dortmund game.

I fancy Arsenal to get at least 4 points out of the last two games and that's all I'm focusing on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I don't really care what happens in the Napoli - Dortmund game.

I fancy Arsenal to get at least 4 points out of the last two games and that's all I'm focusing on.

Yea I'm kinda the same just focus on our own results, never been one for getting into the mathematics of it. One game at a time. We keep winning we be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

As much as I will get slated for I will say it anyway: If it were not for the Europa League and crappy Thursday nights I would rather finish 3rd than 2nd in this Group.

Some excellent teams coming out first and fed up losing to them in February. Top the group and push on and try get to semi-finals this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Thierry is back training with us... how long before the rumours of a January return happen? If Giroud so much as gets a bruised toe between now and then it'll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Are we on the box tomorrow night?

shano_88 wrote: »
    Are we on the box tomorrow night?

UTV and Setanta anyway I think. Not sure about Irish channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

TV3 showing Celtic vs Milan.

Hopefully we can notch a few goals tomorrow night and help the GD, seems Marseille have given up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Cheers.

Ya I have ITV so that'll do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

First/Second is a bit overrated in the CL.

Amounts to one potentially easier tie really.

Qualify first.

• Advertisement

Maire2009 wrote: »
    TV3 showing Celtic vs Milan.

Hopefully we can notch a few goals tomorrow night and help the GD, seems Marseille have given up.

Don't think goals any good to ua really am I right in saying? In the event of 3 of us finishing on 12 points all the Marseille scores are discounted right??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Found this on the Web:

http://www.thesirenssong.com/2013/10/24/4948168/uefa-champions-league-tie-breaker-group-stages

I still can't make heads or tails of it.

gosplan wrote: »
    First/Second is a bit overrated in the CL.

Amounts to one potentially easier tie really.

Qualify first.

Potentially being the main word many a time have clubs finished first in a group stage and they would have gotten an easier draw had they finsihed second.

Plus with the way were playing at the moment I don't think we should fear any team in Europe we may not be favorites against some but were than capable of beating any of them and if you want to succeed in the Champions League you have to be able to beat the best bring on the big games I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Don't think goals any good to ua really am I right in saying? In the event of 3 of us finishing on 12 points all the Marseille scores are discounted right??

Ah okay I didn't realise that - so all the one to win 1-0 as 10-0...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ramsey 11 (6)
    Giroud 10 (7)

Ozil 3 (2)
    Podolski 2 (2)
    Wilshere 2 (2)
    Cazorla 1 (1)
    Arteta 1 (1)
    Gnabry 1 (1)
    Eisfeld 1 (0)
    Mertesacker 1 (1)
    Sagna 1 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Walcott 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

Good to have two players on double digits now. Did we have any at this point last year?

Galvasean wrote: »
    Good to have two players on double digits now. Did we have any at this point last year?

You're the man to ask! :D

Also came across this on the BBC website
    He said: "At the moment Thierry is invited just to practice when he can and when he wants.
    "We have a big staff, a very competent one, and we have the right number to support the team to achieve the targets."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25092383

Arsene's way of saying we wont be buying a striker in January?

• Advertisement

Nicola Bendtner had a little freak out and got himself arrested.
    Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage on Monday after allegedly trashing his Hertfordshire apartment block, according to The Sun.

The 25-year-old Dane was questioned by police after he was believed to have kicked in the door to the building's gym and smashed a window.i

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/off-the-pitch/arsenal/news/bendtner-arrested-for-criminal-damage_120255.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

You're the man to ask! :D

Also came across this on the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25092383

Arsene's way of saying we wont be buying a striker in January?

He was responding to a question about Henry being a coach not a player. No way Henry will play again for the club

Ah Bendtner the pain in the hole that just wont go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Absolute joke shop at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

It would be great to get a striker in January, but I have a feeling the manager might just stick with his hand. Podolski playing up front at times when resting Giroud.

Although after Ozil arriving, another big signing cant be ruled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Sky Sports advertising the British clubs in the Champions League. United, City, Chelsea and Celtic? The hell?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Well if anyone wants a decent stream tomorrow just PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Bender arrested for criminal damage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Sky Sports advertising the British clubs in the Champions League. United, City, Chelsea and Celtic? The hell?

Do they have the rights to the Arsenal game? Usually if they don't have it, it doesn't exist.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

He does have really cool hair though! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage on Monday after allegedly trashing his Hertfordshire apartment block, according to The Sun.

The 25-year-old Dane was questioned by police after he was believed to have kicked in the door to the building's gym and smashed a window.i

Apparently Bendtner tried to kick a passing dog but missed and fell through the window.

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Ah okay I didn't realise that - so all the one to win 1-0 as 10-0...

Yep pretty much - only the 3 points that will count tonight I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Do they have the rights to the Arsenal game? Usually if they don't have it, it doesn't exist.

Correct. Its on ITV so Sky pretends its not on!

I'll be there freezing my [EMAIL="b@lls"]b@lls[/EMAIL] off! Lets hope 3 points warm me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

puddy u going to the game? SAME HERE!!!

cant wait. have had such a **** few months really. the end is near. the sooner i sort it out the better so i can take my dream trip to Vietnam on my own next year..

Hoping for a win to put a smile back in my face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    It would be great to get a striker in January, but I have a feeling the manager might just stick with his hand. Podolski playing up front at times when resting Giroud.

Although after Ozil arriving, another big signing cant be ruled out.

Good shout. Wenger said as much in his interview yesterday that Podolski can play in a number of positions including up front. I reckon we will see him playing a lot more central when he is back fit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement